By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the best controller/joystick ever made?

I don't have a #1, so I'll put here my top 3 in no particular order:

- SNES

- Dualshock 1/2

- Xbox 360

Honorable mention: Wiimote (Haven't tried it much, but I enjoyed the motion controls)

Also, it's my birthday, so take this while you think:

Around the Network

Wiimote + Nunchuk.

The pointer makes aiming a breeze, motion controls added new tactile joy to gameplay, the analogue stick and buttons feel good, it fits comfortably in the hands, and being split into two separate pieces allows me to sit with my hands further apart which is more comfortable.

And happy date o' birth man, hope ya have a grand one.

curl-6 said:

Wiimote + Nunchuk.

The pointer makes aiming a breeze, motion controls added new tactile joy to gameplay, the analogue stick and buttons feel good, it fits comfortably in the hands, and being split into two separate pieces allows me to sit with my hands further apart which is more comfortable.

I played Wii Sports once, but without the nunchuck.

Xbox 360, Fisher Price Game Cube and Wii U Gamepad.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

360 was my favourite overall. It felt so good when you touched the right places

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Snes
Dualshock 4
Xbox 360

Xbox One controller.

XBox 360 or Switch Pro in terms of versatility. I prefer the Wiimote/Nunchuck and Gamecube for games designed with those in mind, but a lot of games just don't work with those.

Xbone.

Early in the gen, the gaming media tried to convince people that it was a downgrade but eventually, people saw the light.

Switch Pro would be up there but no analog triggers (thought it does have other features like motion controls).

I mentioned some of my thoughts on this during a thread about PlayStation controllers.
It's hard for me to say what is the absolute best. If nostalgia is a factor, I love the GameCube controller dearly. I never minded the flaws with it. It worked fine for virtually every GameCube and Wii game that supported it. It is still the best for Smash (but the Switch Pro Controller works really well).
My favorites (in no particular order): GameCube, Xbox 360, DualShock 4, Switch.
GameCube has a fantastic shape, and the unique face button design worked for the time. The triggers are super satisfying for most games.
Xbox 360 has a fantastic shape. Virtually the only flaw I can think of is the D-Pad.
DualShock 4 has the best triggers I've ever used to date, and I enjoy features like the speaker.
Switch Pro Controller is likely the best controller Nintendo's ever made. I wish there were analog triggers, though.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima