By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How much tax do you Americans pay on Games on average.

VAMatt said:
Also, in most of Europe, the item is being taxed at every level - whenever value is added. In the US, the only tax is on the retail sale. I think the European system is terrible, as it hides the taxes from the consumers. That is totally unfair, and is a big part of the reason taxes are so high in Europe. People don't even realize how much of the purchase price they're paying is going to the government, so that don't push back as much. In the US, it is quite literally spelled out on the receipt, and very easy to understand.

You've never seen a receipt in Europe, have you?

Around the Network

At the start of last decade Puerto Rico still had a 7% sales tax, which made $59.99 games $64.19.

Though on 2015, the tax has been increased to 11.5%, which made it $66.89 for a newly released physical game.

I can't say how much taxes I pay on games on average right now, since I tend to buy digital now, and I don't have to pay taxes there.

Last edited by Mr_No - on 14 July 2020

VAMatt said:
Also, in most of Europe, the item is being taxed at every level - whenever value is added. In the US, the only tax is on the retail sale. I think the European system is terrible, as it hides the taxes from the consumers. That is totally unfair, and is a big part of the reason taxes are so high in Europe. People don't even realize how much of the purchase price they're paying is going to the government, so that don't push back as much. In the US, it is quite literally spelled out on the receipt, and very easy to understand.

Someone's never been to Europeeeeee

Our listed prices always include tax. When I go do shopping and I pick up cereal and the price on the shelf says £2. I pay exactly £2 for that item.

We never have a case of you click on something to buy and then the price is higher when you actually go to pay. Please research before you comment on these things.l

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
VAMatt said:

Our listed prices always include tax. When I go do shopping and I pick up cereal and the price on the shelf says £2. I pay exactly £2 for that item.

We never have a case of you click on something to buy and then the price is higher when you actually go to pay. Please research before you comment on these things.l

No his "point" is since the item's price tag only displays the total amount you have to pay, the amount you pay in taxes is hidden within.

Which is of course not a very good point because within each European country there are only about 3 different rates of sales tax for goods: standard, reduced and tax exempt. If you're living in one of those countries you'll likely know what tax rates applies to what type of goods.

And even if you don't, you can see them on the receipt at the end.

Last edited by Barozi - on 14 July 2020

I have seen European receipts.  I have spent a fair amount of time in the EU.  

Around the Network

It looks to me like a lot of you don't even understand how your own tax systems works.

Let's take a video game. In the US, the only tax paid at any point from the time that game starts development to the time it reaches the consumer is the retail sale to that consumer. In much of Europe, the raw materials to make the case are taxed when sold to the manufacturer. The raw materials for the disk are taxed when sold to that manufacturer. The stuff is assemble and that item is taxed when sold to the distributor. Then it is taxed again when sold to the retailer. Taxed a final time when sold to the consumer. Tax is being paid all over the place. And, no, it is not spelled out on the receipt. A whole bunch of that is hidden.

ArchangelMadzz said:
VAMatt said:

You literally said the same thing that I said, but implied that I was wrong.  

sethnintendo said:
Dulfite said:

Aren't your taxes, in general, much higher over there to pay for all the socialized stuff?

It will be a long time, if ever, before USA has those level of taxes collectively. I live in Missouri, which is on the lower side of the tax rate for US I think. People around here want to keep as much of their hard earned money as possible generally (conservative state).

Maybe your state should raise tax some more to invest into your school and driver education system.  Your state has just as bad education and drivers than Texas the state I currently reside in.

Um, nice generalization?

VAMatt said:
It looks to me like a lot of you don't even understand how your own tax systems works.

Let's take a video game. In the US, the only tax paid at any point from the time that game starts development to the time it reaches the consumer is the retail sale to that consumer. In much of Europe, the raw materials to make the case are taxed when sold to the manufacturer. The raw materials for the disk are taxed when sold to that manufacturer. The stuff is assemble and that item is taxed when sold to the distributor. Then it is taxed again when sold to the retailer. Taxed a final time when sold to the consumer. Tax is being paid all over the place. And, no, it is not spelled out on the receipt. A whole bunch of that is hidden.

You clearly don't know how the tax system works.

Those companies have to pay the tax but as soon as they sell it, they get the tax back from the local authorities.

At the end of the day only the last person/company that bought the goods is paying the tax, no one else. Thus, nothing of that is hidden.

Dulfite said:
sethnintendo said:

Maybe your state should raise tax some more to invest into your school and driver education system.  Your state has just as bad education and drivers than Texas the state I currently reside in.

Um, nice generalization?

It isn't generalization when it is a fact that the south which have usually the least amount of taxes have the poorest education system.  They are called facts.  Look it up the south is terrible at education.