By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Nintendo Switch overtake the PS4 in terms of sales worldwide?

V-r0cK said:
I doubt it. I'm not even sure if the Switch can even hit 100M sales.

How much do you think it will sell this year?

Around the Network

Depends on the PS4's final life-time sales.
Using the existing sales data for the Switch and the NDS with forecasting techniques commonly used in the industry
would result (based on a 7 year life cycle) in ~ 125 million switch units sold +/- the typical error.
So I would say the Switch has a good chance to beat the PS4.
This does not factor in extraordinary events.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

tbone51 said:
V-r0cK said:

It's 2020 ...where the pandemic drastically slowed down production and can barely get any Switches in stock.  What year did you think this was? 2019?

2017, because in 2020 it’s obvious it’s going to hit 100mil ;)

lol I would love for it to hit a 100mil, it definitely deserves to hit that mark.  But as long as this pandemic keeps going on the production of Switches will continue to decline.

Maybe, maybe not. Sure is: if Switch will outsell PS4 it will take a few more years. One variable we will se enext year: can PS4 uphold decent sales if the successor is out.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The_Liquid_Laser said:
V-r0cK said:
I doubt it. I'm not even sure if the Switch can even hit 100M sales.

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue now that production has declined. They've had a good start of the year and then exploded at the beginning of the pandemic so that will at least make up for the sales with the decline of production, but who knows how many Switches are being made these days.

One thing I'm noticing is that it seems like Nintendo is really pushing for the Switch Lite (or I wonder if its just easier to produce during this time), as when Switches are back in stock its usually just the Lite and not the Original.  I know a few friends that are still waiting for the OG Switch to be in stock as they dont want to pick up the Lite.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
tbone51 said:

2017, because in 2020 it’s obvious it’s going to hit 100mil ;)

lol I would love for it to hit a 100mil, it definitely deserves to hit that mark.  But as long as this pandemic keeps going on the production of Switches will continue to decline.

Im not sure exactly what you are talking about, but Nintendo commented not to long ago that production was back to normal so sooner rather than later we will see stock being replenished fully

V-r0cK said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue now that production has declined.

That may be why you are projecting 100m total.  You haven't sat down and done any of the math.  Check out the actual numbers and then see if you still think Switch will only reach 100m.

Also you may not be aware that production is actually not in decline.  Sales are up YoY.  Even though Switches are in short supply in Japan and North America, sales are still up YoY for each week.  Here is a good reference thread for this year.
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020-week-27-numbers-added-ending-july-5th/1/

MasonADC said:
V-r0cK said:

Im not sure exactly what you are talking about, but Nintendo commented not to long ago that production was back to normal so sooner rather than later we will see stock being replenished fully

You are correct, I just found some articles dated a few weeks ago that their production is almost recovered.  Well I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong about that. 

But I'll just stick to saying that no the Switch wont over take the PS4, and sure ill take a stab and still guess it wont hit 100M sales, maybe in the 90Ms? lol

curl-6 said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:
PS4 is 7 years old and pulling 280k weekly. That’s outrageously impressive. This is is some kind of PS2 longevity.

Well, technically it's not 7 years old yet; it will turn seven in November, which is probably when it will be replaced by PS5.

MasonADC said:
Nope can’t imagine sales will stay as high as some members on here predict. Also, 2023 would be the perfect time for a successor so I hope that will happen, allowing less time for switch to sell

A typical Sony fan like you wishes that Nintendo will release Switch' successor early so  that Sony can keep its lead. That's baloney!

wohufana said:
curl-6 said:

Well, technically it's not 7 years old yet; it will turn seven in November, which is probably when it will be replaced by PS5.

MasonADC said:
Nope can’t imagine sales will stay as high as some members on here predict. Also, 2023 would be the perfect time for a successor so I hope that will happen, allowing less time for switch to sell

A typical Sony fan like you wishes that Nintendo will release Switch' successor early so  that Sony can keep its lead. That's baloney!

Actually I just think that in 2023 i will be ready to move on to the next console lol. I had the Switch since day one and am more of a Nintendo fan but at the end of the day if the switch does or doesnt surpass ps4 it doesnt really matter.