By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Nintendo Switch overtake the PS4 in terms of sales worldwide?

the trend shows that it is possible, but I will be surprised if it happens, because the switch no longer receives many triple a games, and the trend is to get worse with new gen.

Around the Network

At this point I'll say yes NS is looking like it'll do GB numbers at least it just comes down to how long they keep the platform active.

tbone51 said:
V-r0cK said:
I doubt it. I'm not even sure if the Switch can even hit 100M sales.

WhatYearIsIt.gif

It's 2020 ...where the pandemic drastically slowed down production and can barely get any Switches in stock.  What year did you think this was? 2019?

it gets a no from me, nintendo doesn't have a stellar history on commitment on long term consoles, I'm going with the idea the Switch will do some big dick numbers the next 2 years and !!!unless they make a switchphone!!! they will reveal a new profitable hardware device (fistsized+controller) while slowly expanding on the subscription idea with new releases

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Mano777 said:
the trend shows that it is possible, but I will be surprised if it happens, because the switch no longer receives many triple a games, and the trend is to get worse with new gen.

And what AAA third-party games were responsible for the Switch's high sales in the first 3 years?

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 13 July 2020

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

Despite the fact that many Nintendo supporters claiming in this site that price cuts are yet to come, I don’t see Nintendo doing many price cuts for the switch. Even with 3DS/2DS they didn’t do too much. And even Nintendo stated that as long as they can, they will not do price cuts.

As for the games mentioned above, only a New Mario Kart can increase the sales but most people that have Mario kart 8 DE will buy it. Ring fit adventure is already the switch sports and we will have to wait and see for a Nintendogs game on the Switch.

As for the other games (2D Zelda, Star Fox, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Pikmin, etc), I don’t see them helping to do astronomical sales for the system.

As for PS4 the final number is really on Sony hands.

But the system is 7 years old, is priced at $299(slim)/399(pro) AND it’s going to be replaced in 4 months, and still will do more than 10 million units sold this year, that’s a feature that no other console achieved before.

"Only a new Mario Kart can increase the sales"... yeah right, because all the other franchises didn't increase sales of the system? 2D Mario can't do it? The next Zelda can't? The next Pokémon? Nintendogs? 

"Ring Fit Adventure is already the Switch Sports"... that's as accurate as saying "GTA5 is already the The Last of Us on PS4" ....both games have nothing to do with each other, just like Ring Fit Adventure and a potential Switch Sports.

Nope.

V-r0cK said:
tbone51 said:

WhatYearIsIt.gif

It's 2020 ...where the pandemic drastically slowed down production and can barely get any Switches in stock.  What year did you think this was? 2019?

What kind of argument is this? Switch production and sales have been higher than ever before during the last months, just like demand. In which way is this an argument against the Switch?

V-r0cK said:
tbone51 said:

WhatYearIsIt.gif

2017, because in 2020 it’s obvious it’s going to hit 100mil ;)

Louie said:
V-r0cK said:

What kind of argument is this? Switch production and sales have been higher than ever before during the last months, just like demand. In which way is this an argument against the Switch?

There are many articles of Switch productions either halted or slowing down and people constantly asking when the Switch will be back in stock. 

All the previous month's sales were likely from what was already produced and in stores/warehouses etc.  So yes it sold a lot the first few months at the beginning of the pandemic but stock supplies are now drastically slowing down.  So dont expect sales to continue to be as high as it was when people were rushing to buy a Switch just as much as people were rushing to by toilet paper.