By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Nintendo Switch overtake the PS4 in terms of sales worldwide?

Yes, I believe so.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
V-r0cK said:

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue now that production has declined.

That may be why you are projecting 100m total.  You haven't sat down and done any of the math.  Check out the actual numbers and then see if you still think Switch will only reach 100m.

Also you may not be aware that production is actually not in decline.  Sales are up YoY.  Even though Switches are in short supply in Japan and North America, sales are still up YoY for each week.  Here is a good reference thread for this year.
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020-week-27-numbers-added-ending-july-5th/1/

I've checked the numbers too, but why dont we just wait and find out at the end of the Switches life cycle then.  Yes sales are up YoY, but sales will eventually not be up you know that too right?  

Also I've done the math but you cant do math on the change of market. Think of all the time where you hear companies didnt meet their quarterly/yearly expectations etc.., they did the math but yet they still ended up short. But I guess you haven't sat down and done any business.

Seems like you're trying to go out of your way with me just because I believe it wont hit 100M.  You know others on here also posted that they don't think itll hit 100M why not talk to them?  Was it cause I burned you the last time we had a discussion and that even a mod had to step in and put you in your place ;P 

Look, I'm down for more discussion but 1) this is just my opinion that I dont think it'll hit 100M, you can't argue opinion but you can argue a fact, and 2) you shouldn't say stuff like "Also you may not be aware that production is actually not in decline." when you can just simply google it and see that Nintendo did had to stop/slow down production, so not sure what you call that then.

But to keep this short as I mentioned at the beginning, why dont we just wait and find out at the end of the Switches life cycle then.  Or when it hits 100M feel free to msg me and I will gladly tell you that I was wrong :)

V-r0cK said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

How much do you think it will sell this year?

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue now that production has declined. They've had a good start of the year and then exploded at the beginning of the pandemic so that will at least make up for the sales with the decline of production, but who knows how many Switches are being made these days.

One thing I'm noticing is that it seems like Nintendo is really pushing for the Switch Lite (or I wonder if its just easier to produce during this time), as when Switches are back in stock its usually just the Lite and not the Original.  I know a few friends that are still waiting for the OG Switch to be in stock as they dont want to pick up the Lite.

You just described the reason you see lite in stock but not the OG, There is more demand for the original vs the lite.

Chicho said:
V-r0cK said:

Honestly I wouldn't have a clue now that production has declined. They've had a good start of the year and then exploded at the beginning of the pandemic so that will at least make up for the sales with the decline of production, but who knows how many Switches are being made these days.

One thing I'm noticing is that it seems like Nintendo is really pushing for the Switch Lite (or I wonder if its just easier to produce during this time), as when Switches are back in stock its usually just the Lite and not the Original.  I know a few friends that are still waiting for the OG Switch to be in stock as they dont want to pick up the Lite.

You just described the reason you see lite in stock but not the OG, There is more demand for the original vs the lite.

I guess Nintendo needs to push more for the OG Switch.  I have both versions and I use both equally, surprisingly, but if I had to choose one I'd go with the OG too.

First, I don't think it is an issue of getting them back into stock for buyers, it's people buying as many as they can when they hit shelves to try and turn a profit. Jump on Facebook Marketplace, you will see all sorts NIB Switches for sale above retail.

Second, the Switch will mostly likely be to almost 100 million units sold in 5 years (if not over it), so anything less than that is a joke. Add in two or three more solid years of 15+ million units per year and a couple more years of it selling out inventories and there is no reason not to think that this console will not easily be pushing to beat the PS2.

Any fears of it having the Wii drop I think are funny, 4K gaming will not kill the Switch like HD gaming killed the Wii. Add in the huge handheld market as well that is still migrating to the Switch.

Last edited by scottslater - on 13 July 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
MasonADC said:

Im not sure exactly what you are talking about, but Nintendo commented not to long ago that production was back to normal so sooner rather than later we will see stock being replenished fully

You are correct, I just found some articles dated a few weeks ago that their production is almost recovered.  Well I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong about that. 

But I'll just stick to saying that no the Switch wont over take the PS4, and sure ill take a stab and still guess it wont hit 100M sales, maybe in the 90Ms? lol

It hits 90m easily next year and at current pace it's possibly be mid 90m by the end of next year are you really telling us you think it won't sell 5-10m in the year after?

V-r0cK said:
MasonADC said:

Im not sure exactly what you are talking about, but Nintendo commented not to long ago that production was back to normal so sooner rather than later we will see stock being replenished fully

You are correct, I just found some articles dated a few weeks ago that their production is almost recovered.  Well I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong about that. 

But I'll just stick to saying that no the Switch wont over take the PS4, and sure ill take a stab and still guess it wont hit 100M sales, maybe in the 90Ms? lol

Won't hit 100m?? haha what world are you living in? I don't understand these completely unrealistic predictions. You may as well predict PS4 will never hit 115 million.

It will be in the 90 millions by end of next year, with about two years left before it is replaced. At this point any prediction of under 115 million is absurd. Even if Nintendo replaced it very early (like Spring 2023), which we pretty much know they won't because common sense (or rather: business sense) and they've said multiple times now they want to keep the Switch around for a while, even in that early retirement scenario Switch would still finish at around 115 million. Assuming a more realistic replacement date of spring 2024 means it'll sell more like 125 to 130 million.

Realistic yearly sales:

2020 - low to mid 70s mil (~24mil)

2021 - low to mid 90s mil (~20 mil)

2022 - mid to high 100s mil (~16mil)

2023 - high 110s mil (~12 mil)

2024 (likely spring replaced) mid 120s mil (~7 mil)

2025 and beyond a few more mil = ~130 mil

Even if you knock a couple million off each year that still puts it around 120 million. A prediction of less than 100 million means you think Nintendo is going to replace the hottest video game system in over a decade in the middle of its life cycle......like literally the Switch 2 would have to come out probably next summer and Nintendo would have to refuse to drop the price of the Switch and just keep it at $300 forever, in order to stunt sales enough to have the Switch only make it to 90-something million.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 13 July 2020

hunter_alien said:
Shaunodon said:

You may as well type this in notepad, save to desktop and have it ready to copy & paste next time this thread gets made.

Without a 'viable platform' for what exactly? Playing Nintendo games? I can't see a more viable platform for that on the market right now.

Well that was the 3DS as well and the system barely chugged along in it's last 2 viable years, and in all honestly, that was mostly on the Pokemon hype that was created with Pokemon Go!

The Switch is in the middle of its lifecycle. We have already seen that price cuts don't necessarily affect Nintendo products in the same way as they do other systems, hence why the 2DS or GC for that matter never really took off. I am fully expecting it to double these numbers LT, but I honestly doubt the 2nd generation franchise titles will push as many systems as the 1st gen titles, for the simple fact that most people who wanted them will have one already. 

Of course, only time will tell how this will all play out, but it sure reminds me of the hype the Wii had, and how many people were expecting it to easily break the 200 million mark. At the end of the day, I have only to win on this, as a Switch owner, so I hope that it will have a massive install base and as much support as it can possibly get. 

Do you not remember the 3DS tanked before having a price cut and the DS tanked before getting a lite version ? Switch got a moderate boost in July last year after they release an updated battery Switch console without even marketing it. I'm sure a 50$ price cut will come handy next year if it starts to decline.

But for now, we don't even know how much it can sell each week since it is out of stock WW

kazuyamishima said:

Despite the fact that many Nintendo supporters claiming in this site that price cuts are yet to come, I don’t see Nintendo doing many price cuts for the switch. Even with 3DS/2DS they didn’t do too much. And even Nintendo stated that as long as they can, they will not do price cuts.

As for the games mentioned above, only a New Mario Kart can increase the sales but most people that have Mario kart 8 DE will buy it. Ring fit adventure is already the switch sports and we will have to wait and see for a Nintendogs game on the Switch.

As for the other games (2D Zelda, Star Fox, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Pikmin, etc), I don’t see them helping to do astronomical sales for the system.

As for PS4 the final number is really on Sony hands.

But the system is 7 years old, is priced at $299(slim)/399(pro) AND it’s going to be replaced in 4 months, and still will do more than 10 million units sold this year, that’s a feature that no other console achieved before.

Again.. same thing. Price cut saved the 3DS and the 2DS came pretty late in the life cycle so it's pricing was already pretty cheap. They did A LOT of 2DS + MK7 80$ bundle here, probably less than that in the US and it made it survive it's last years. 

I'm sure MANY are waiting for the OG Switch to get a price reduction. There is a big market for that you know. 

For the ones saying the production is declining.. y'all don't get it the demand is just sky high and the production is actually higher than usual, they just still can't match it hence the low amount of stock WW. I do think it should stay low in stock all year but still manage to hit 25 millions.. while being supply constrained. 

No. I expect Nintendo to release the successor for the Switch as soon as holiday 2022 with better tech and pushing an even bigger library, with full retrocompatibilty, following the current success and outselling both Xbox Series X and PS5.

Of course, that if they continue with the same ideas behind the Switch: hybrid affordable console with a big and diverse library from indies, third and first party titles, plus a very good marketing machine behind it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
No. I expect Nintendo to release the successor for the Switch as soon as holiday 2022 with better tech and pushing an even bigger library, with full retrocompatibilty, following the current success and outselling both Xbox Series X and PS5.

Of course, that if they continue with the same ideas behind the Switch: hybrid affordable console with a big and diverse library from indies, third and first party titles, plus a very good marketing machine behind it.

Holiday 2022 is not even remotely realistic. That would be a GBA type scenario where they rushed out a new system and tried to treat it as a different market than the GBA because they were afraid by how much more advanced the PSP was than the GBA. There is no equivalent scenario to that for the Switch. Unless Sony suddenly announces that the PS5 also comes in a portable version haha, then no, holiday 2022 is a year early from even an early launch of Switch 2. A 2024 launch should be about right.