By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Nintendo Switch overtake the PS4 in terms of sales worldwide?

Pavolink said:
No. I expect Nintendo to release the successor for the Switch as soon as holiday 2022 with better tech and pushing an even bigger library, with full retrocompatibilty, following the current success and outselling both Xbox Series X and PS5.

Of course, that if they continue with the same ideas behind the Switch: hybrid affordable console with a big and diverse library from indies, third and first party titles, plus a very good marketing machine behind it.

A successor for the Switch will not be coming out that soon (if it was a failure maybe).  Switch will be the main hardware line until at least March 2024.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:

Of course, only time will tell how this will all play out, but it sure reminds me of the hype the Wii had, and how many people were expecting it to easily break the 200 million mark. 

That doesn't make sense, given the context. Wii had like 3 years of insane sales because of its blue ocean strategy - meaning tens of millions of systems were bought by non-gamers, who then only bought a few titles, and that non-gamer market lost interest after a few years once motion controls were no longer some flashy novel thing, so the Wii's sales dropped pretty dramatically at that point, as the PS360 finally got down to reasonable prices. That isn't remotely what is going on today with the Switch. Wii and Switch are not comparable at all, any glance at game sales will tell you as much.

Wyrdness said:
V-r0cK said:

You are correct, I just found some articles dated a few weeks ago that their production is almost recovered.  Well I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong about that. 

But I'll just stick to saying that no the Switch wont over take the PS4, and sure ill take a stab and still guess it wont hit 100M sales, maybe in the 90Ms? lol

It hits 90m easily next year and at current pace it's possibly be mid 90m by the end of next year are you really telling us you think it won't sell 5-10m in the year after?

What's the current Switch sales to date now?  I might be losing it xD

Slownenberg said:
Pavolink said:
No. I expect Nintendo to release the successor for the Switch as soon as holiday 2022 with better tech and pushing an even bigger library, with full retrocompatibilty, following the current success and outselling both Xbox Series X and PS5.

Of course, that if they continue with the same ideas behind the Switch: hybrid affordable console with a big and diverse library from indies, third and first party titles, plus a very good marketing machine behind it.

Holiday 2022 is not even remotely realistic. That would be a GBA type scenario where they rushed out a new system and tried to treat it as a different market than the GBA because they were afraid by how much more advanced the PSP was than the GBA. There is no equivalent scenario to that for the Switch. Unless Sony suddenly announces that the PS5 also comes in a portable version haha, then no, holiday 2022 is a year early from even an early launch of Switch 2. A 2024 launch should be about right.

By 2024 the industry has already been moved on to new tech. We have already 2 gens showing us this.

Nintendo is comfortable enough by now having a ton of support, releasing third party games and ports between their own first party tittles, avoinding as possible the droughts. Even Nintendo has mentioned, proudly, the amount of games that the Switch is gathering.

They are not after the same tech race between MS and Sony, but after the games that the industry is producing, and having modern tech that allows those developers to port their titles.

scottslater said:
Pavolink said:

A successor for the Switch will not be coming out that soon (if it was a failure maybe).  Switch will be the main hardware line until at least March 2024.

By holiday 2022 it would have an almost-6 years life span. DS lasted from holiday 2004 to February 2011 (6 years+3 months) and its Nintendo's most succesful hardware ever.

Also, nobody is saying that the console is going to be discointinued or that it wouldn't get anymore games. I would like to also read why do you believe that Nintendo is going to hold on the Switch until March 2024, and I mean honestly. Maybe I'm missing something.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

V-r0cK said:

What's the current Switch sales to date now?  I might be losing it xD

Current sell through estimate according to VGC is 59.3m the upcoming Q1 report will be a case of shipments being sold as of the end of June as we know of the stock issues in stores but going by VGC's estimate until the Q1 report the NS will be at like 64m come the end of September if they have a very slow quarter current pace though has a possible 66m mark by then, in the holiday period Nintendo averages about 10m in that quarter which means shipments of at least mid to high 70m by the end of this year.

That means the platform next year would only need around 15m to cross the 90m barrier it may hit this mark in September under its current pace.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Shaunodon said:

You may as well type this in notepad, save to desktop and have it ready to copy & paste next time this thread gets made.

Without a 'viable platform' for what exactly? Playing Nintendo games? I can't see a more viable platform for that on the market right now.

Well that was the 3DS as well and the system barely chugged along in it's last 2 viable years, and in all honestly, that was mostly on the Pokemon hype that was created with Pokemon Go!

The Switch is in the middle of its lifecycle. We have already seen that price cuts don't necessarily affect Nintendo products in the same way as they do other systems, hence why the 2DS or GC for that matter never really took off. I am fully expecting it to double these numbers LT, but I honestly doubt the 2nd generation franchise titles will push as many systems as the 1st gen titles, for the simple fact that most people who wanted them will have one already. 

Of course, only time will tell how this will all play out, but it sure reminds me of the hype the Wii had, and how many people were expecting it to easily break the 200 million mark. At the end of the day, I have only to win on this, as a Switch owner, so I hope that it will have a massive install base and as much support as it can possibly get. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/444458/switch-vs-3ds-sales-comparisonswitch-lead-continues-to-grow-in-june-2020/

Switch already leads the 3DS by 16M, and advantage that is growing very fast. By end of the Year the Switch should lead by about 25M and come very close to the 3DS's total sales figures.

The reason why the 3DS crashed and burned so early was because it needed a massive pricecut to get off the ground, which in turn meant that Nintendo didn't have much leverage left in terms of pricecuts later down the road. The 3DS still got cheaper, but the differences were so small that it was barely felt by the consumers and thus had very limited effect, just enough for making sure the sales numbers didn't drop too fast. These are all things that are not true for the Switch.

The 2DS was hideous and lacked the additional power of the then-already released New 3DS. Of course it didn't do well like that. Had Nintendo released the new 2DS XL alongside or shortly after the new 3DS XL and not bothered with the original 2DS, I'm pretty sure it could have had much more of an impact on the 3DS sales than it did.

GC pricecut didn't work because at the time Nintendo still tried to compete with Sony head-on, and against the PS2 at that. That simply couldn't work with the image it had despite doing everything they could to change the image by buying exclusivity deals with many mature games, only for them to rather pay the fine for breach of contract than to linger around on the unsuccessful Gamecube.

Long story short, you just can't compare their situation with pricecuts to the one the Switch is in.

V-r0cK said:
tbone51 said:

2017, because in 2020 it’s obvious it’s going to hit 100mil ;)

lol I would love for it to hit a 100mil, it definitely deserves to hit that mark.  But as long as this pandemic keeps going on the production of Switches will continue to decline.

MasonADC said:
V-r0cK said:

lol I would love for it to hit a 100mil, it definitely deserves to hit that mark.  But as long as this pandemic keeps going on the production of Switches will continue to decline.

Im not sure exactly what you are talking about, but Nintendo commented not to long ago that production was back to normal so sooner rather than later we will see stock being replenished fully

Not just that, Nintendo has actually increased production by 10% to try and meet demand.

The reason it's out of stock is not lower production, but simply very high sales. It's selling at over 300k weekly since early March, at a rate almost no other console has managed to do before. It even mostly keeps up with the best years of the DS in 1H console sales, a feat practically no other console even comes close to achieve.

Or to give you a bit more perspective, Switch sold so for this year as much as it did last year until early November last year - and that year it sold over 19M consoles. And it will pass the 60M sold consoles mark this month and 70M way before the end of this year.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 July 2020

Switch has already overtaken PS4 despite the extra holiday advantage.

Those who doubt Nintendo can have longer legs than Sony are about to learn a lesson as Nintendo sets another new record breaking precedent for the gaming industry.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Almost.
Switch 125M vs 130M PS4

in 2014, 3DS has shipped 7.5 million. (the fourth year of life)
The Switch will probabily ship more than x3 that in 2020. (>22.5m)

Isn't it funny how people still insist to compare the 2 systems.