Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't people talk about handhelds as much as console?

Because handhelds have weaker specs, and Nintendo only had one serious contender ever in the handheld market. That of course was the PSP. And only the Switch Lite is keeping dedicated handhelds alive.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Because handhelds have weaker specs, and Nintendo only had one serious contender ever in the handheld market. That of course was the PSP. And only the Switch Lite is keeping dedicated handhelds alive.

Why just the Switch Lite? The newer Switch model have longer battery life than the Lite. That is what is great about the Switch. Finally the Nintendo fanbase are united whether you were just a console or handheld owner. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

BraLoD said:
sethnintendo said:
Because people here like fancy graphics more than gameplay.

So console games don't have gameplay?

Last time I checked gameplay has always been capped on handhelds until not long ago when the Vita launched with two analog sticks to even control games like consoles could since the PS1.

I thought most games these days were quick time events and cgi scenes.  Answer me this.  How come people that are good at certain mainstream games suck at Mario kart and smash.  I have friends that are good at Skyrim, GTA and fps but can't play smash to save their life.  Must be different brain function or maybe they invest so heavily in certain games they can't play games I like.

I still have one old college buddy to play stupid online games with and we are pretty damn good at turn based games like Civ and Axis and Allies online.  So there is that.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 11 July 2020

A numbers game. There have been fewer viable handhelds when compared to home consoles.

Chinese food for breakfast

Mobile gaming is also popular but we don't speak about that. Typically the kind of passionate discussion had on this forum is centred around bigger experiences which until recently has mostly been had on consoles. Handhelds have often been an after thought, only receiving spin offs etc or throw backs. Very rarely have they been at the forefront of generation defining gaming. It's like comparing zelda BOTW with A Link Between Worlds. Both great but it's not hard to see why one inspired more excitement and admiration than the other.

Around the Network

Also competition is typically far greater in the home console space

Otter said:
Mobile gaming is also popular but we don't speak about that. Typically the kind of passionate discussion had on this forum is centred around bigger experiences which until recently has mostly been had on consoles. Handhelds have often been an after thought, only receiving spin offs etc or throw backs. Very rarely have they been at the forefront of generation defining gaming. It's like comparing zelda BOTW with A Link Between Worlds. Both great but it's not hard to see why one inspired more excitement and admiration than the other.

Phone games aren't real games though.  You need buttons and not f2p gimmicks.  Yes they are most popular but that doesn't mean anything.  Look at pop music.  Sounds like shit but it is the most popular.  I think the real problem here is humans.

Because basically Nintendo wins in this area, so many posters have no interest in discussing it. If things are a heated competition that is much more fun to discuss.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

I've found myself thinking about handhelds less and less as mobile gaming became more and more dominant.

Gaming on handheld devices is where I had most of my experiences in the video game space and seeing it getting the shaft from others really makes me despise some people but hey, I do understand the reasons why it isn't talked as much on forums since most there are hyperfocused on the bigger experiences.

Yet the bridge the Switch has forged makes me feel hopeful for the smaller scale franchises which now can stand with the big boys in this unified platform.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909