By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't people talk about handhelds as much as console?

What do you guys think is the reason? It's somewhat surprising for me because usually handhelds sell just as much if not more than consoles yet they don't get talked about as much. For example, the Gameboy sold 118M through its lifetime which kills the SNES's 49.10M units sold but I still see people talk about the SNES way more than the Gameboy. Same goes for the DS and Wii where I feel like people mostly talk about the Wii. Maybe it's different for you guys, but generally speaking from my POV I see people talk about consoles far more.

My theory is that maybe portable gaming just isn't as fun or memorable of an experience like console gaming since portable gaming has always been steps back in terms of performance and scope of games compared to consoles, but I'm not sure.

Around the Network

Because people here like fancy graphics more than gameplay.

Because a disproportionate number of handhelds sell to young kids that aren't as active in discussion groups like this one.

Everybody talks about the Nintendo Switch , and it is gonna outsell the Nintendo Switch (maybe)

They do. Theres a ton of Switch topics and its pretty popular.

Around the Network

Because we would have to admit that videogame storytelling peaked with Ghost Trick on the DS.

ARamdomGamer said:

Because we would have to admit that videogame storytelling peaked with Ghost Trick on the DS.

Thought it was Cory in the House DS

Wii U failed as much as The PSVita did but people shit more on Nintendo than Playstation.
Basically in terms of the type of gamers who goes on forums have some type of "hatred" when it comes to handhelds and mobile devices. They see it as casual gaming and doesnt want to be in the same boat as them.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Because handhelds have weaker specs, and Nintendo only had one serious contender ever in the handheld market. That of course was the PSP. And only the Switch Lite is keeping dedicated handhelds alive.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
Because handhelds have weaker specs, and Nintendo only had one serious contender ever in the handheld market. That of course was the PSP. And only the Switch Lite is keeping dedicated handhelds alive.

Why just the Switch Lite? The newer Switch model have longer battery life than the Lite. That is what is great about the Switch. Finally the Nintendo fanbase are united whether you were just a console or handheld owner. 

Pocky Lover Boy!