By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch sales in Europe

The problem for Nintendo in europe is that a lot of people that buy a console here (in my experience) ask only one question when they decide to buy a console and that is: ”Can it play the latest Fifa?”

Around the Network
Spindel said:
The problem for Nintendo in europe is that a lot of people that buy a console here (in my experience) ask only one question when they decide to buy a console and that is: ”Can it play the latest Fifa?”

Thats not entirely true. 

Football/Soccer is of course the most popular sport in Europe, so a lot of people buy every next fifa title. 

But it is a stereotypical view of European gaming consumer behaviour. Its like telling - US Americans buy consoles with the latest Madden on it. 

Of course Fifa as a game title is selling some consoles as it is the most important sport on the old continet, but i woudnt go so far. EA is realising new Fifa on switch every year since 2018. (i know switch fifas, are bit different, but still its a new fifa with new date on it - 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021).

YanisFromFrance said:
Europeans here ?

Italian here.

All i can say is that right now Nintendo is stronger than ever, the reception of Nintendo is changed so much in the recent years, while Playstation remain easily the biggest brand, it's not just all about Sony anymore.

Wii and expecially DS were very famous but like, the name of Nintendo was horrible in the 3DS/WiiU era.

Ryng said:
YanisFromFrance said:
Europeans here ?

Italian here.

All i can say is that right now Nintendo is stronger than ever, the reception of Nintendo is changed so much in the recent years, while Playstation remain easily the biggest brand, it's not just all about Sony anymore.

Wii and expecially DS were very famous but like, the name of Nintendo was horrible in the 3DS/WiiU era.

I think that goes for a lot of regions, as the sales demonstrate. 

Here in Australia, just anecdotally, Nintendo seem to have really gotten their mojo back as a "cool" and "trendy" brand with the Switch, whereas nobody even knew Wii U was a thing and 3DS was seen as only really a thing for small kids.

Yeah the Switch is a huge succes in Oceania , in France people prefer the Nintendo Switch than the PS4 and in other Western countries Nintendo is as well regarded as PlayStation

Around the Network

Just my 2 cents. I am from Romania, a country that was always pro-PS. They lost some market share in the 7th gen, but completely bounced back this generation, pretty much no other system really comes into the discussion. Nintendo was by far the most popular when the Wii/DS came into existence, and it lasted like 3-4 years. Ever since then gaming became synonymous with the PS brand or PC gaming (as PCs still have a strong presence and always had).

Now the Switch is doing decent numbers, but it's no DS or Wii. Some people who are more on the nerdy/hipster/core gamer side of things play them (myself included), though in stores the Switch segment is usually less than a tenth of what the PS4 segment is. The only chain where they might hold more, is Auchan, which is unsurprisingly a french chain, but even there you might see a 1/5 ratio.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Spain and France prefer Nintendo, UK and Germany is currently tied between PS4 and Switch (but Switch is gaining momentum) and Italy prefer PS4. I don't know any numbers from eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Russia etc.).

From PS1 to first half of PS4 Europe clearly preferred Sony's consoles. Even Wii was clearly outsold by PS3 in Europe. It's just changing to a draw between Sony and Nintendo within the last 2 years.