By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Goopy, the point you miss is that if you want to cut enough it could even work on PS2, even if a port of "similar" game. And definitively with the right cuts it could work on PS4. The question we don't know because we haven't seem enough is if that version would be worthwhile, and considering how good the Spider-Man in PS4 is and they could use those version of the assets and just ignore all the improvements made for PS5, is that it most probably would and any reason for it to not release on PS4 isn't technical (PS4 holding it down to an impossible downgrade on PS5) but commercial, forfeiting revenue on the sales of Miles Morales in exchange for a reason to buy PS5 and earn royalties from the 3rd party games sold on it.

I understand what you're saying but any game can run on any platform with the right cuts. I'm sure Ratchet & Clank would work on ps4 if it didn't have the portal jumping thing but then it would have been a different game. We definitely need to see more but from I can make out, Spider Man MM seems to have much denser graphics, a better sense of speed and it will probably have some other tricks up its sleeve. 

Could be, but that is speculative. On graphics itself there doesn't seem to be anything that impacts severely by making a PS4 version. Load times can still exist for PS4 version we are used to it, and speed of the gameplay doesn't need to change since it was accepted on the previous title.

If we see gameplay and it looks like it couldn't be done on PS4 (hardly) then I may change my opinion on it. I find great that they are making a PS5 version and that it looks better than just a BC improvement, will buy it because I liked the first game and will buy PS5 anyway, but don't see technical reason for no PS4 version.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Like I said, we didn't see any gameplay from Spider Man so we really don't know if it could run on a ps4 or not. Just because it uses the same engine doesn't mean that much. There were levels in Spider Man for example, where it changed into a more linear game playing as Miles Morales and it had a ton more detail going on in the streets than in the rest of the game. Probably because it wouldn't be possible to render that much detail when you're flying over the city as Spider Man.

It was really hard to see but it does look like the streets feel a lot more alive than in the previous game.

In any case, I have no idea how far it will push next gen visuals, but I'm sure it will not look like a current gen game running in 120fps either. 

Like I said neither does Halo Infinite. 2 can play at this game. But then we have facts like it being a 2 year game from what is likely a smaller team with the same map and similar assets.

Please, tell us more how only Xbox is being held back by the previous gen. 

I totally agree. We have to see more to know if Spider Man MM could have gotten a ps4 release without basically being a different game. With Halo Infinite, however, we know for sure as it's coming to Xone and it will probably be running in 120fps on Series X.

The big difference is that, even if some of Sony's early games won't get the most out of the system, at least the developers are trying. With Series X, Phil has flat out told us that their 1st party games will, just like pc, scale across a bunch of different devices. It's not so much about what we've seen so far, it's about the strategy behind both companies. 

We will see about Spider Man but this looks like a pretty big upgrade to me.

thats purely camera pov >.>

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

just like DLSS looks great on a screenshot but when moving it causes issues

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
just like DLSS looks great on a screenshot but when moving it causes issues

Digital Foundry made a video about making Spider-Man 60fps, basically using something that is similar to DLSS (also showed Death Stranding running native 4k versus 1440p DLSS to 4k quality mode) and yes you can see so many artifacts.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Like I said neither does Halo Infinite. 2 can play at this game. But then we have facts like it being a 2 year game from what is likely a smaller team with the same map and similar assets.

I totally agree. We have to see more to know if Spider Man MM could have gotten a ps4 release without basically being a different game. With Halo Infinite, however, we know for sure as it's coming to Xone and it will probably be running in 120fps on Series X.

The big difference is that, even if some of Sony's early games won't get the most out of the system, at least the developers are trying. With Series X, Phil has flat out told us that their 1st party games will, just like pc, scale across a bunch of different devices. It's not so much about what we've seen so far, it's about the strategy behind both companies. 

Both gifs are horrendous.

And I doubt Halo Infinite will be 120fps on XSX, at least certainly won't be the only option, for that to happen they will have a 60fps quality mode and a 120fps performance mode. Halo is the flagship of MS, you may not like, it may be "inferior" to past Halo on gameplay or lore, but graphically it will need to be their best yet.

DonFerrari said:
goopy20 said:

Both gifs are horrendous.

And I doubt Halo Infinite will be 120fps on XSX, at least certainly won't be the only option, for that to happen they will have a 60fps quality mode and a 120fps performance mode. Halo is the flagship of MS, you may not like, it may be "inferior" to past Halo on gameplay or lore, but graphically it will need to be their best yet.

I know the gifs are terrible and its hard to make a good comparison when we've seen so little. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

With HZW I have no doubt it will be a different story though, even though we barely seen any footage from that one neither. It has more to do with GG's track record of pushing hardware. Just look at the pc requirements of HZD. The ps4 has something comparable to a GTX750, yet the minimum requirements on pc are a GTX780. To put things in perspective, if HZW is just as optimized for ps5 as HZD was for the ps4, that'll mean the minimum requirements would be something like a RTX2080 and a NVME SSD just to play it in 30fps. 

Now I know Halo is MS's flagship title and people expect it to blow us all away on the 23rd. But I'm willing to bet my entire Pokemon collection that it won't have a super high-end gpu listed as the minimum pc requirements. It will probably be a GTX660 minimum and something like a GTX970 as recommended. We need to keep in mind that MS wants everybody to be able to play Halo Infinite on GP and get the same experience. The last thing they would want is to single out Series X owners and the 15m people who bought a RTX card. I'm sure it will be the best looking Xone game, though, and it will probably have some pretty cool ray tracing going on. But my guess it that it will be playable on Series X in 4k/60fps with RT or 4k/120fps in performance mode.

~ User was banned for this post. - Pemalite.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 16 July 2020

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Lol 120fps? Easy now I don’t think anybody gonna be upset if they cap it at 60. You say Sony devs are trying, I’m curious why you think Xbox devs aren’t. To max out the potential of each platform for a game....that takes talent and effort. 

Those gifs scream cross gen. Quality, but cross gen. Again you show me ground up PS5 launch titles day 1 and you can ride that high horse all year long like you allready have been. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

goopy20 said:

Bla bla bla

Interesting and quite telling that you ignored my question...

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Lol 120fps? Easy now I don’t think anybody gonna be upset if they cap it at 60. You say Sony devs are trying, I’m curious why you think Xbox devs aren’t. To max out the potential of each platform for a game....that takes talent and effort. 

Those gifs scream cross gen. Quality, but cross gen. Again you show me ground up PS5 launch titles day 1 and you can ride that high horse all year long like you allready have been. 

Sony devs are trying as they don't have to think about the ps4 or mid-range pc's and can focus purely on the ps5 hardware. Of course Xbox devs will also try but they are simply bound by to many platforms and have to focus more on scalability. 

Its just a few days from now so maybe we should just wait till the 23rd. But I predict you this much. Everything they'll show will be 4k/60fps on Series X and I bet they will mention it to us quite a bit. Hell, they're even doing the stream in 4k/60fps. Like I said, the difference is that Sony could do their event through a crappy 1080p Youtube stream and still got people excited.