By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

Manlytears said:

A very interesting video, DF Direct comments on the Xbox presentation. It seems that they are unanimous in saying that the previous generation has a negative impact on Halo infinite ( meaning they don’t agree with Phil Spencer, and that making Halo infinite crossgen considerably lessens the potential of the game’s graphics). Many comments on the presentation, worth watching.

The two points I'd take away from this video, are that they mention development for Infinite started a long time ago just for Xbox One, and it was only later they suddenly had to re-work it for next-gen, which isn't some simple task. Also that the Slipspace engine just doesn't seem to scale as well as other engines by third party studios who know how to properly convert for cross-gen, like ID Tech 7.

This is also a game they plan to have ready by launch, so the closest comparison on PS5 would be Miles Morales Spider-Man-- standalone expansion of a PS4 title releasing at launch. But while I'd expect Miles Morales to look somewhat better, it'll also be a much smaller game in both scope and content.

If any of the other big titles like Fable, Avowed, Forza or Everwild also get cross-gen release, maybe you should wait to use those as examples, as they'll be around the same release window as the noteworthy PS5 releases, and are all being developed primarily for next-gen.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

Except Halo isn’t a small game nor GP fodder. It’s a large scale ambitious campaign with a supposedly massive MP. Grounded sure I can see that but I see no indication it’s gonna be a flop critically.

And to be fair Halo is doing 4 player split screen which is very taxing. Halo was NEVER touted as a graphical showcase for Series X. Personally I thought it would look great but not to get hopes up given it’s a 4K launch title. The game looks clean and nails the artistic aspect of what makes Halo, Halo. People shouldn’t pretend we built this game up to something unrealistic. 

The fact that the big guns are far away practically guarantees they fall outside the cross gen window. 

Again the evidence with halo is clear. Twisting words wont help you here. Trying to claim I said halo is a small game while I wrote it clear twice already is just sad. But you did win on something and thats me stoping with you. I know your gona go in circles into I give up then you have the final word and think you win. Go say your last spin while I watch digital foundry and many others just rip into this showcase and specially halo.

To be fair both of us are making incomplete arguments that don’t take into account the full picture. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Again the evidence with halo is clear. Twisting words wont help you here. Trying to claim I said halo is a small game while I wrote it clear twice already is just sad. But you did win on something and thats me stoping with you. I know your gona go in circles into I give up then you have the final word and think you win. Go say your last spin while I watch digital foundry and many others just rip into this showcase and specially halo.

To be fair both of us are making incomplete arguments that don’t take into account the full picture. 

I never claim to have anything of games that are not released. I claimed that we have had many games already that MS overhyped and showed crazzy cg trailers like halo did for them to look like a 360 game. Could thouse games shown actually deliver? They definetly can, but history says MS has disapointed more times than actually meet expectations.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

I never claim to have anything of games that are not released. I claimed that we have had many games already that MS overhyped and showed crazzy cg trailers like halo did for them to look like a 360 game. Could thouse games shown actually deliver? They definetly can, but history says MS has disapointed more times than actually meet expectations.

Ugh, sucks that people like you won’t be convinced until the meta score is there for all to see. 

At least we can in theory agree that the Halo Gears Forza and mid gen drought narratives are a thing of the past. CG or not Xbox has multiple unique AAA games in development along with smaller ones. If all we got to do is wait one game at a time, so be it. 

Let’s see how Flight SIM and Wasteland 3 do in August. There, 2 tangible games out in the very near future from XGS. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 25 July 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Ugh, sucks that people like you won’t be convinced until the meta score is there for all to see. 

At least we can in theory agree that the Halo Gears Forza and mid gen drought narratives are a thing of the past. CG or not Xbox has multiple unique AAA games in development along with smaller ones. If all we got to do is wait one game at a time, so be it. 

Let’s see how Flight SIM and Wasteland 3 do in August. There, 2 tangible games out in the very near future from XGS. 

I can definetly agree to that. Smaller games is sure better than no games. Thats definetly one big improvement they made over the last couple of gens.

Please, meta means nothing. Im here hating the last of us 2 and i dont care what the meta says or thats even an exclusive on my prefer console. Do better please. Im willing to critizies my team when they screw up.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:
After watching the MS show, the only games that seemed remotely impressive weren't crossgen (showed as Xbox Series X and PC, no mention of One on the end), so seems like Phill isn't right and for god's sake Goopy may been wrong and the Xbox One didn't hold crossgen down for XSX, but well none looked great.

You might need to clarify. Did you mean goopy was wrong because all the games look bad, not just the crosgen ones?

Because aside from medium if I'm not mistaken was the only xsx only game that was technically demanding. Any other game was just a cg trailer so we know nothing yet.

I dont know, halo was the main topic of discussion on this thread. I think a lot of people owe goopy an apologie after that infinite showcase. 

Goopy wasn't wrong, the games that looked better were the ones that didn't had a Xbox One version, cgi trailer or not.

And PS5 games looked better basically for most games even if weaker.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

To be clear their launch lineup have more of a IP draw not a tech one. People would upgrade to play the next Spiderman game, not because it’s only possible on PS5 from a design standpoint.  There is a high chance it’s only possible because Sony limited it for business reasons, assuming this game is a standalone expansion that uses assets from the base game on PS4, which explains the short turnaround of 2 years. 

You are blatantly using a double standard. Halo Infinite “bad” because it’s cross gen but a cross gen Spiderman expansion “good” because why, Sony swept the totally doable PS4 port under the rug to create next gen demand? That’s what makes it ok...the lack of a formal official PS4 version???

Same goes for the others. Again Sackboy, Destruction Derby and GT7. You can’t cherry pick the true next gen games but dismiss the possibility Xbox will announce games that fall outside the cross gen window. Sony is not what you are painting them as where every game is 100% not possible on last gen. 

How are you so certain the Spider Man game will be perfectly doable on ps4? We haven't even seen any gameplay yet lol. All we know is that it's not a full blown sequel but more of a stand alone type of game similar in scope to Uncharted Lost Legacy. Also... "There been major enhancements to the game and the game engine, obviously deploying some of the major PlayStation 5 technology and features.”

My problem isn't that Halo Infinite is cross-gen. The game has been in development even before the X1X was announced. My problem is that they are purposely not releasing any Series X exclusives for the first 2 years. Not because those games are still being worked on and just aren't ready, but because its part of their whole strategy. You think they will flip a switch after the 2 years period and poof, on exactly that date we will see those Series X exclusives? There's a reason why they are doing what they are doing, you know.

As it turns out, Sony‘s and Microsoft‘s strategies aren‘t that different.

Miles Morales and even Horizon Zero Dawn 2 are cross-gen. So which announced PS5 games for the first 24 months are „true nextgen games, built from ground up for PS5, not possible on 8th gen“?

Oh my... I had a feeling a thread like this would pop back up sooner or later.