By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

"The diversity of hardware choice in PC has not held back the highest fidelity PC games on the market. The highest fidelity PC games rival anything that anybody has ever seen in video games. So this idea that developers don't know how to build games, or game engines, or ecosystems, that work across a set of hardware... there's a proof point in PC that shows that's not the case."

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-xbox-one-exclusives-held-back-meme-phil-spencer

Around the Network

For cross gen games sure but for true next gen games? Doubt it. Even PCs have cutoff points before you need to look into unofficial methods like mods and have the game run like it was made for the ps2.

There will always be games that will run just fine on both platforms like indies and things like fortnite but a game that is built from the ground up to take advantage of next gen will be a solid doubt imo.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'm pretty sure having games designed to work on Jaguar cores or slow ass laptop HDD vs SSD would limit game design in some way or another.

Can't believe Phil is telling us stuff like this. For decades the pc master race has been complaining about consoles holding back their games, and now he is using it as an example of how great it is...

He's talking about 2 differnt generations of devices.

Xbox One = 1,3 Tflops
Xbox series X = 12,1 Tflops (and newer architecture) , its CPU is like 5-6 times as powerfull as well.

How the hell, does developeing games for the old gen (xbox one) not limit the xbox series x (new gen)?
I call bullcrap, if your designing games from the ground up to run on the old gen hardware, its gonna limit what the game is, on the newer gen too.

its a lie, if so its only because they choose not to fully use the Xbox Series X (which I would call "limiting", or holding back).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 10 July 2020

Around the Network
hinch said:
I'm pretty sure having games designed to work on Jaguar cores or slow ass laptop HDD vs SSD would limit game design in some way or another.

So much this. Its a lie plain and simple.
They should just be honest about it, and say, dont worry guys "It'll only last 2 years time or so, then we develope for the series X".

Its obviously gonna effect the 1st part games of the series x.

Because, you know...he would totally tell us if they were...

/s

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

You can barely get games running on Xbox one S right now because of the slow CPU and hard drive, even the gpu is seems to be causing troubles. Remember those news article about cyberpunk 2077 had big frame-rate troubles on xbox one s and CD Projekt had to delay the game.

I think this is a better source, it's suppose to be the origin I think:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-10-are-xbox-series-x-developers-being-held-back-by-xbox-one

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

That is a funny thing to say

Pocky Lover Boy! 

(x) Doubt.
Some things will definitely be impossible to scale especially if they require storage speed. Series X storage speed is 80 times faster than Xbox One if I'm not mistaken. On the other hand, devs would need quite some time to think about how can they use it, so probably we won't see a lot of games that require it in the first couple of years.