By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

whats your point?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
whats your point?

Point is that you can bring a RTX2080 to its knees by running current gen games in 4k/60fps. 

goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:
whats your point?

Point is that you can bring a RTX2080 to its knees by running current gen games in 4k/60fps. 

thats an incomplete statement

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Just to throw something else in the native 4K debate.
I made a quick graph to plot the relation between fov and sitting distance for popular tv sizes.

FOV on the vertical axis which is the same as pixels per degree. (horizontal resolution divided by FOV)
The lines with resolution are where you can see all the pixels with 20/20 vision, 60 pixels per degree.
Above the lines is sharper, below you will start seeing individual pixels. (1080p is good for max 32 degree fov)
Horizontal axis is feet from the screen.

The grey area is the recommended viewing angle, 30 degree fov SMPTE 30 standard, up to 40.04 degrees FOV THX recommendation.

I checked my sitting arrangement and while playing GT Sport I tend to move my seat to about 6.5 ft from my 65" tv which is about 40 degree fov and 'feels right' for racing. At that distance 1440p would still be sufficient (GT Sport is 1800p)

While watching movies or playing a 3rd person game I like to hang on the couch which is 12 ft away from the tv. That's only a 22 degree fov and 1080p is more than sufficient. No wonder blu-ray looks perfectly fine to me and I see no benefit in 4K streaming. I would need a 120" screen to get 40 degree fov from that distance.

I used to watch movies on a 1080p projector at 12 ft away on a 92" screen. That was 31 degree fov and 62 pixels per degree. (Not by accident, I calibrated it that way) Perfect for blu-ray watching but too big of a screen for the living room and moving the couch closer just looks weird.

Anyway native 4K is pretty much overkill for most of the population. 1440p is plenty to get to that 40 degree viewing angle, 1800p for those with better than 20/20 vision. Of course it also depends on the quality of anti-aliasing and upscaling. Native 4K is only good for zooming in on screenshots. Leave it for PC monitors where you sit right on top of the screen.

There is also a correlation between fov, resolution, brightness and comfortable fps. The higher the fov, resolution and brightness the more fps you want. So it does make more sense to go to 60fps for HDR and bigger viewing angles.

This is a strange turn of events, XBox One X has been discontinued
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-16-microsoft-officially-discontinues-xbox-one-x-and-xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition
And another all digital edition bites the dust. Will the discless PS5 survive a whole generation?

So next gen will start with XBox One S, Series S and Series X. (Or Series S comes later)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Just to throw something else in the native 4K debate.
I made a quick graph to plot the relation between fov and sitting distance for popular tv sizes.

Anyway native 4K is pretty much overkill for most of the population. 1440p is plenty to get to that 40 degree viewing angle, 1800p for those with better than 20/20 vision. Of course it also depends on the quality of anti-aliasing and upscaling.

And 480p - 600p should be good enough for people like Goopy sitting 20 feet away from their TV.

But 720p on Lockhart (for games which are 1440p on Series X) are unplayable in his opinion.

goopy20 said:

Nope, Series X was actually my wet dream when they first announced it. I thought it was amazing that they went with such high specs. At first it looked like Sony cheaped out a bit on the gpu because they wanted to keep the ps5 within the $399 price range and I expected Series X to be far more superior. Also quite a bit more expensive, but I would have been perfectly fine with. All they had to do is tell me it would have jaw dropping exclusives like any other console in history has had. The truth is, MS already had my money if it wasn't for the Phil Spencer interviews.

Series X sounded to good to be true and ever since they announced it there seems to be a catch. 12 Tflops beastly console but no exclusives for 2 years, being all consumer friendly and making sure everybody can play their games, no matter which console you own, the MAy event which was the most boring first look at "next gen" games in video gaming history, and now the whole 4 Tflops Lockhart thing that can do whatever Series X can, just not in 4k...

It's almost as if they don't want us to buy the damn thing lol.

Microsoft's platforms have never been as strong as it's competitors on the exclusives front, the Xbox 360 had periods of drought and that was a good platform comparatively.
But Multiplatforms are where the bulk of video game sales is accrued on console and do tend to fair far better.

This is just the status quo, anyone who is going into Series X and is complaining about exclusives, probably hasn't been paying attention to Microsoft for almost 20 years.
The Xbox Series X will still be the place to play if you care about graphics and framerates with the sprinkling of console exclusives here and there.

It does not make the Xbox a bad platform, it's obviously just not a platform that appeals to you and it never was... And that is perfectly fine, spend your dollarydoo's elsewhere instead, vote with your wallet.

DonFerrari said:

Well most first release of a dev on the gen hardly flex those muscles because the project was initiated with vague specs or immature engine for that device as well. So we have seem several cases of games that came in the 2nd or 3rd year of a console that doesn't look that good compared to other that is the second game of another dev and launched near this one.

Still I have to say I was positively impressed with Killzone, Infamous, DriveClub and The Order when released on PS4, for me they really looked leaps and bounds better than what was on PS3.

I agree. And those launch exclusives can look impressive, don't get me wrong. - But a launch game and a game that releases towards the end of the generation are typically chalk and cheese visually.

The Playstation 4's most amazing games not just from a gameplay perspective, but from a visual makeup (I.E. Last of Us Part 2) are a technical showcase that just didn't happen during the consoles first years.

The Xbox 360 was in the same position... It launched alongside Oblivion here which definitely beats out all 6th gen games visually... But fast forward a few more years and it's successor, Skyrim beat it on all fronts.

But yes, Killzone, Infamous, DriveClub and The Order are good looking games, but there is definitely a step between those games and exclusives releasing today, which is my point in a nutshell.

DonFerrari said:

Even it is being build from ground up, it is the same engine (so it most possibly could use the equivalent old asset since will be same city, so just the models for new chars and animation for powers would need to be done... that is the purpose of a game on the style of expasion of Left Behind and Lost Legacy, small team, short dev time still able to deliver a 15-20h experience with high quality low cost). And when looking at the trailer present, although looks good doesn't seem to be another gen compared to the previous (but I think that is due to the facial animation and looks of Miles). When put side by side it can be seem that is a leap over, but a leap of crossgen all over.

It's still going to be a very good looking game, lets not beat around the bush.
Insomniac knows their stuff, I praise that developer very highly.

Game Engines don't typically get scratched and rebuilt every console generation... They get overhauled on a regular basis though, but I am thinking in a few years we will see rebuilt engines more often as Ray Tracing is such a new feature the R&D needs to be spent in order to best use that tech and same goes for the SSD.

goopy20 said:

Like I said, we didn't see any gameplay from Spider Man so we really don't know if it could run on a ps4 or not. Just because it uses the same engine doesn't mean that much.

It actually means a great deal.
It means the game engine has been optimized for the Playstation 4 extensively.

goopy20 said:

I totally agree. We have to see more to know if Spider Man MM could have gotten a ps4 release without basically being a different game. With Halo Infinite, however, we know for sure as it's coming to Xone and it will probably be running in 120fps on Series X.

The big difference is that, even if some of Sony's early games won't get the most out of the system, at least the developers are trying. With Series X, Phil has flat out told us that their 1st party games will, just like pc, scale across a bunch of different devices. It's not so much about what we've seen so far, it's about the strategy behind both companies. 

We will see about Spider Man but this looks like a pretty big upgrade to me.

Just because a game engine scales across multiple hardware configurations does not equate to a developer not being able to extract high levels of visual fidelity.
The lighting I have seen in Halo Infinite's engine tech trailers is damn impressive, clearly not being held back by the base Xbox One.

All game engines are scalable these days, Microsoft is leveraging that, it's their strategy.

If Halo Infinite ends up being the most technically impressive video game for it's release year, how could you possible assert it's being held back? Doesn't that mean the developers on the Xbox are also trying?

DonFerrari said:

Both gifs are horrendous.

And I doubt Halo Infinite will be 120fps on XSX, at least certainly won't be the only option, for that to happen they will have a 60fps quality mode and a 120fps performance mode. Halo is the flagship of MS, you may not like, it may be "inferior" to past Halo on gameplay or lore, but graphically it will need to be their best yet.

Halo 5 lost allot of fervor of the franchise in many circles and I would argue it didn't assist in turning around the Xbox One's bad image reputation like what Halo 3 did with the Xbox 360, Microsoft needs to take this game home.

The art style is going back to basics and being aligned to Combat Evolved more heavily, big emphasis on technology that drives the game as well, remaining hopeful for a solid experience.

goopy20 said:

Just look at the pc requirements of HZD. The ps4 has something comparable to a GTX750, yet the minimum requirements on pc are a GTX780. To put things in perspective, if HZW is just as optimized for ps5 as HZD was for the ps4, that'll mean the minimum requirements would be something like a RTX2080 and a NVME SSD just to play it in 30fps. 

Now I know Halo is MS's flagship title and people expect it to blow us all away on the 23rd. But I'm willing to bet my entire Pokemon collection that it won't have a super high-end gpu listed as the minimum pc requirements. It will probably be a GTX660 minimum and something like a GTX970 as recommended. We need to keep in mind that MS wants everybody to be able to play Halo Infinite on GP and get the same experience. The last thing they would want is to single out Series X owners and the 15m people who bought a RTX card. I'm sure it will be the best looking Xone game, though, and it will probably have some pretty cool ray tracing going on. But my guess it that it will be playable on Series X in 4k/60fps with RT or 4k/120fps in performance mode.

We have been over this. PC system requirements are just a guideline in order to wash a developer/publishers hands from technical/logistical support in dealing with potential systems that sit outside the scope of their requirements. It saves them money and technical support resources.

Plenty of instances where a PC game will run perfectly fine on hardware that sits below the minimum requirements, it's not definitive and set in stone.

Halo listing a low-end GPU doesn't mean that it's going to be a game that is lighter on the GPU.

goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:
whats your point?

You don't buy an RTX2080 to bring it to it's knees at 1080P/30fps.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Conina said:

And 480p - 600p should be good enough for people like Goopy sitting 20 feet away from their TV.

But 720p on Lockhart (for games which are 1440p on Series X) are unplayable in his opinion.

720p is fine for me as well from the couch. At 12ft, 65", WiiU still looks good.
Plus my cable provider is still at 720p / 1080i, still looks good.

So sure, make it 720p on Lockhart. The trick is, 720p scales up very nicely to a 4K tv. 1080p tv not so nicely.
1440p is also 1.5:1 scaling to 4K (same as 720p to 1080p), but since the dpi is much higher it's less of a problem with scaling.
Time for 8K tvs to make 1440p upscaling 3:1 :)

SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

720p is fine for me as well from the couch. At 12ft, 65", WiiU still looks good.
Plus my cable provider is still at 720p / 1080i, still looks good.

So sure, make it 720p on Lockhart. The trick is, 720p scales up very nicely to a 4K tv. 1080p tv not so nicely.
1440p is also 1.5:1 scaling to 4K (same as 720p to 1080p), but since the dpi is much higher it's less of a problem with scaling.
Time for 8K tvs to make 1440p upscaling 3:1 :)

1080P scales perfectly to a 4k TV.

4k is 3840x2160.
1080P is 1920x1080.

You are just quadrupling your pixel counts or doubling on each axis instead of triple with 720P.

Scaling is a tricky and complex issue, mostly due to scalers doing a few passes on an image to clean it up and thus have different effectiveness.

1440P is 2560x1440.
720P is 1280x720.

That is also a quadrupling in pixel counts.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Both gifs are horrendous.

And I doubt Halo Infinite will be 120fps on XSX, at least certainly won't be the only option, for that to happen they will have a 60fps quality mode and a 120fps performance mode. Halo is the flagship of MS, you may not like, it may be "inferior" to past Halo on gameplay or lore, but graphically it will need to be their best yet.

I know the gifs are terrible and its hard to make a good comparison when we've seen so little. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

With HZW I have no doubt it will be a different story though, even though we barely seen any footage from that one neither. It has more to do with GG's track record of pushing hardware. Just look at the pc requirements of HZD. The ps4 has something comparable to a GTX750, yet the minimum requirements on pc are a GTX780. To put things in perspective, if HZW is just as optimized for ps5 as HZD was for the ps4, that'll mean the minimum requirements would be something like a RTX2080 and a NVME SSD just to play it in 30fps. 

Now I know Halo is MS's flagship title and people expect it to blow us all away on the 23rd. But I'm willing to bet my entire Pokemon collection that it won't have a super high-end gpu listed as the minimum pc requirements. It will probably be a GTX660 minimum and something like a GTX970 as recommended. We need to keep in mind that MS wants everybody to be able to play Halo Infinite on GP and get the same experience. The last thing they would want is to single out Series X owners and the 15m people who bought a RTX card. I'm sure it will be the best looking Xone game, though, and it will probably have some pretty cool ray tracing going on. But my guess it that it will be playable on Series X in 4k/60fps with RT or 4k/120fps in performance mode.

~ User was banned for this post. - Pemalite.

Did you see that with All Access the strategy of MS on GP is that if you sub to GP Ultimate you get Xcloud for free and can play with it on phone and PC? So don't worry MS may even find a way to make XCloud work on X1 and Series S to get similar experience that you would get on Series X, because in the end they don't make money on the HW so if you buy Series S or keep X1 with GP sub is already a win for MS even if they need to give a very good performance on XCloud on X1.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."