By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox Series X Games Aren't Being Held Back By Xbox One

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Still console makers pay a very different price on the GPU part or their APU compared to PC parts.

From the breakdown of PS4 and X1 I remember something like less than 100 USD cost for the GPU. And for this new gen I doubt the cost of GPU for PS5 and XSX is over 200 USD.

So even if it was possible to pay 1/3 the cost for the 1/3 of the power (it isn't, because the chips cost to manufacture doesn't scale linearly, you'll always have the optimum curve where a size and speed will be the most cost efficient and the reduction of any in let's say 50% won't net 50% saving in cost, similarly when going above then a increase in 50% may even be 100% more costly).

So if I had to guess all the saving possibles for Lockhart (cost, not final price since that may be dependent on willingness to take loss)

If remove disc - 30 USD

Lower performance GPU - 50 USD

Less RAM - 50 USD

Slightly less powerfull CPU - 20 USD

So it could undercut XSX by 150 USD. Daniel Ahmad estimate XSX BOM to be between 460 and 520. If we go for the lowest option we could say that Lockhart would cost at least 300 to build plus other costs to ship to retail and their cuts MS to sell it at 299 would need to subside 50 bucks (quite regular sub). So for Series X to sell for the triple it would mean 900 USD (won't happen) and for they to sell for the double it would be 599 (so about 70 of profit). If they just sell for the price of the BOM it would be 300 vs 460 or 35% less (which is already a good saving, I wouldn't buy the low entry because I prefer to have the best performance possible for a reasonable price and saving 150 USD to have 1/3 of the graphic performance even with everything else up to par isn't for me, but sure I can see a lot of people interested in it even more if they use gamepass and xbl subs for a long term contract and person can walk out with console+gp+xbl for 0 upfront payment and perhaps 30-40 USD/month meaning they will have games available for the life of the console basically paying just the subs they would pay anyway and a very small additional monthly cost to pay for the console). Still your 1/3 or 1/2 of the price seems very off the curve.

I see something like this, Lockhart no disc 299 (50 subside), PS5 no disc 399 (100 subside), PS5 with disc 499 (no subside), XSX 549 (no subside).

Lockhart sounds like a pretty crap deal if that's true. You would get a 2.5 times Less powerful gpu just to save $100, which is the price of 1.5 game. WE'll see about the pricing but it's really the 4Tflops part of Lockhart that worries me the most.

How many times must we tell you it’s not for us. It’s for people who buy on price and value, not specs. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy: well the push for 4k/60-120 is a complete waste of next gen power! A console shouldn’t push for resolution and frame rate!

Also goopy: well a console that doesn’t push 4k60-120 from MS is also bad!

Based on all the talk from you these past months and how angry you say you have been about MS wasting power, seems to me that if the Lockhart is real, it is literally your wet dream of a console? Yet somehow you still have issue with it.

Nope, Series X was actually my wet dream when they first announced it. I thought it was amazing that they went with such high specs. At first it looked like Sony cheaped out a bit on the gpu because they wanted to keep the ps5 within the $399 price range and I expected Series X to be far more superior. Also quite a bit more expensive, but I would have been perfectly fine with. All they had to do is tell me it would have jaw dropping exclusives like any other console in history has had. The truth is, MS already had my money if it wasn't for the Phil Spencer interviews.

Series X sounded to good to be true and ever since they announced it there seems to be a catch. 12 Tflops beastly console but no exclusives for 2 years, being all consumer friendly and making sure everybody can play their games, no matter which console you own, the MAy event which was the most boring first look at "next gen" games in video gaming history, and now the whole 4 Tflops Lockhart thing that can do whatever Series X can, just not in 4k...

It's almost as if they don't want us to buy the damn thing lol.

Until you can prove Spiderman MM is built from the ground up on PS5 Sony is in no better a position. I really can’t wrap my head around the double standard. And you still plan to play Xbox via PC so you aren’t even backing up your talk...you admit to contradict it. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Pemalite said:
goopy20 said:

Of course a high-end pc will always look better than consoles. But you have to admit that there's a big difference between modern pc ports, that were designed around the limitations of consoles, and the AAA pc exclusives we saw in the past and were completely impossible to run on consoles at all. Back in those days being part of the pc master race actually meant something. You had games like BF, Crysis, Half Life 2 etc. that looked 2 generations ahead of anything on consoles, and we were happy if we could run Crysis at all, never mind at 120fps.

Those games still exist. I.E. StarCitizen.

Every game that uses Ray Tracing looks substantially better on PC.

goopy20 said:

We will see with Lockhart and Series X but I find it hard to believe that the games will look any different on both consoles. Instead it'll probably just be like Xbox One S and Xbox One X. They play the exact same games, but the Xone X is the niche version for those who absolutely demand 4k and 60fps. If Lockhart will be half or a 3rd of the price, I'm sure MS knows which one will sell more as we can already see how 4 out of 5 consoles currently sold are the cheaper base models. This is why I feel developers will completely optimize overall visuals and resolution for Lockhart, and Series X will be kinda forced to "waste" those extra Tflops and RAM on just boosting resolution/ framerate and sprinkle in some extra effects.

A few assertions being thrown around here... We don't know what Lockharts specifications are, or if it will even release.

goopy20 said:

Imo that's also why the ps5 exclusives will stand out by a mile as they are not constrained by any platform. We will likely see a TLOU3 or GOW2 completely optimized for ps5 while targeting the exact same resolution and framerate as Lockhart. Those would easily be able to push the visuals way beyond what's technically possible on Lockhart. Maybe we won't see those games right at launch, but I wouldn't exactly count out HZW, though. GG are pretty damn good at raising the visual bar and HZW is the perfect ip to flex those next gen muscles.

Launch titles never fully flex the next-gen muscles.

Well most first release of a dev on the gen hardly flex those muscles because the project was initiated with vague specs or immature engine for that device as well. So we have seem several cases of games that came in the 2nd or 3rd year of a console that doesn't look that good compared to other that is the second game of another dev and launched near this one.

Still I have to say I was positively impressed with Killzone, Infamous, DriveClub and The Order when released on PS4, for me they really looked leaps and bounds better than what was on PS3.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Nope, Series X was actually my wet dream when they first announced it. I thought it was amazing that they went with such high specs. At first it looked like Sony cheaped out a bit on the gpu because they wanted to keep the ps5 within the $399 price range and I expected Series X to be far more superior. Also quite a bit more expensive, but I would have been perfectly fine with. All they had to do is tell me it would have jaw dropping exclusives like any other console in history has had. The truth is, MS already had my money if it wasn't for the Phil Spencer interviews.

Series X sounded to good to be true and ever since they announced it there seems to be a catch. 12 Tflops beastly console but no exclusives for 2 years, being all consumer friendly and making sure everybody can play their games, no matter which console you own, the MAy event which was the most boring first look at "next gen" games in video gaming history, and now the whole 4 Tflops Lockhart thing that can do whatever Series X can, just not in 4k...

Until you can prove Spiderman MM is built from the ground up on PS5 Sony is in no better a position. I really can’t wrap my head around the double standard. And you still plan to play Xbox via PC so you aren’t even backing up your talk...you admit to contradict it. 

Even it is being build from ground up, it is the same engine (so it most possibly could use the equivalent old asset since will be same city, so just the models for new chars and animation for powers would need to be done... that is the purpose of a game on the style of expasion of Left Behind and Lost Legacy, small team, short dev time still able to deliver a 15-20h experience with high quality low cost). And when looking at the trailer present, although looks good doesn't seem to be another gen compared to the previous (but I think that is due to the facial animation and looks of Miles). When put side by side it can be seem that is a leap over, but a leap of crossgen all over.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Even it is being build from ground up, it is the same engine (so it most possibly could use the equivalent old asset since will be same city, so just the models for new chars and animation for powers would need to be done... that is the purpose of a game on the style of expasion of Left Behind and Lost Legacy, small team, short dev time still able to deliver a 15-20h experience with high quality low cost). And when looking at the trailer present, although looks good doesn't seem to be another gen compared to the previous (but I think that is due to the facial animation and looks of Miles). When put side by side it can be seem that is a leap over, but a leap of crossgen all over.

Sounds very reasonable, I’m inclined to believe that too. If only certain people acknowledged this wed save a lot of back and forth. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Like I said, we didn't see any gameplay from Spider Man so we really don't know if it could run on a ps4 or not. Just because it uses the same engine doesn't mean that much. There were levels in Spider Man for example, where it changed into a more linear game playing as Miles Morales and it had a ton more detail going on in the streets than in the rest of the game. Probably because it wouldn't be possible to render that much detail when you're flying over the city as Spider Man.

It was really hard to see but it does look like the streets feel a lot more alive than in the previous game.

In any case, I have no idea how far it will push next gen visuals, but I'm sure it will not look like a current gen game running in 120fps either. 

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sounds very reasonable, I’m inclined to believe that too. If only certain people acknowledged this wed save a lot of back and forth. 

By certain people you really mean one person.

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Like I said, we didn't see any gameplay from Spider Man so we really don't know if it could run on a ps4 or not. Just because it uses the same engine doesn't mean that much. There were levels in Spider Man for example, where it changed into a more linear game playing as Miles Morales and it had a ton more detail going on in the streets than in the rest of the game. Probably because it wouldn't be possible to render that much detail when you're flying over the city as Spider Man.

It was really hard to see but it does look like the streets feel a lot more alive than in the previous game.

In any case, I have no idea how far it will push next gen visuals, but I'm sure it will not look like a current gen game running in 120fps either. 

Goopy, the point you miss is that if you want to cut enough it could even work on PS2, even if a port of "similar" game. And definitively with the right cuts it could work on PS4. The question we don't know because we haven't seem enough is if that version would be worthwhile, and considering how good the Spider-Man in PS4 is and they could use those version of the assets and just ignore all the improvements made for PS5, is that it most probably would and any reason for it to not release on PS4 isn't technical (PS4 holding it down to an impossible downgrade on PS5) but commercial, forfeiting revenue on the sales of Miles Morales in exchange for a reason to buy PS5 and earn royalties from the 3rd party games sold on it.

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Like I said neither does Halo Infinite. 2 can play at this game. But then we have facts like it being a 2 year game from what is likely a smaller team with the same map and similar assets.

Please, tell us more how only Xbox is being held back by the previous gen. 

DonFerrari said:
goopy20 said:

Goopy, the point you miss is that if you want to cut enough it could even work on PS2, even if a port of "similar" game. And definitively with the right cuts it could work on PS4. The question we don't know because we haven't seem enough is if that version would be worthwhile, and considering how good the Spider-Man in PS4 is and they could use those version of the assets and just ignore all the improvements made for PS5, is that it most probably would and any reason for it to not release on PS4 isn't technical (PS4 holding it down to an impossible downgrade on PS5) but commercial, forfeiting revenue on the sales of Miles Morales in exchange for a reason to buy PS5 and earn royalties from the 3rd party games sold on it.

I understand what you're saying but any game can run on any platform with the right cuts. I'm sure Ratchet & Clank would work on ps4 if it didn't have the portal jumping thing but then it would have been a different game. We definitely need to see more but from I can make out, Spider Man MM seems to have much denser graphics, a better sense of speed and it will probably have some other tricks up its sleeve. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 16 July 2020