Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [Rumor] Nintendo Direct coming July 20th

Which team are you

Team Mini direct 4 7.02%

Team General direct 30 52.63%

Specific direct (Mario, pikmin, etc) 4 7.02%

It ain't happening 19 33.33%

Total:57
Ardormor said:

I would be really suprsied about Nintendo announcing new Direct on the day they released the second biggest game (to date), this year.
From the marketing point of view it would drive away some attention from the Paper Mario release to "new games" people expecting from Nintendo and this is not healthy for sales. I was sure, if the Direct was real, they will either fire it on Friday with some Paper Mario content or they will do it (also the announcement) definitely after launch -week or -weekend so it wont hurt the Paper Mario attention-focus.

If u have a product lanuching on day X, and you are expexting some "sales" on the launch window, you just focus marketing campaign on the product and do not fire or even tease new other products that can steal some attention from it. Its just a basic rule from the marketing product management.

I'm fairly certain they have done directs within a week after launching major games plenty of times before. And Nintendo games are so vastly different that they don't eat each other like that typically. Animal Crossing is about capitalism and living life as an animal, Paper Mario is you going on a hilarious journey inside of a book, Zelda is a high fantasy adventure story, Metroid is basically military Sci-Fi, etc.

Now, if they just released a Call of Duty game and had a direct about Battlefield that would be eating themselves. But directs aren't based around third party games.

Nintendo just doesn't really make clone games of themselves. It will probably be 4 years until the next Animal Crossing game at least, probably 4-5 years until the next Paper Mario game, Botw 2 will come out at least 3.25 years after Botw1, MK9 will come out many years after 8 Delux. They are pretty smart with differentiating their lineup and spreading sequels out. This next direct won't have games that eat Paper Mario or AC sales.

Around the Network
Ardormor said:

I would be really suprsied about Nintendo announcing new Direct on the day they released the second biggest game (to date), this year.
From the marketing point of view it would drive away some attention from the Paper Mario release to "new games" people expecting from Nintendo and this is not healthy for sales. I was sure, if the Direct was real, they will either fire it on Friday with some Paper Mario content or they will do it (also the announcement) definitely after launch -week or -weekend so it wont hurt the Paper Mario attention-focus.

If u have a product lanuching on day X, and you are expexting some "sales" on the launch window, you just focus marketing campaign on the product and do not fire or even tease new other products that can steal some attention from it. Its just a basic rule from the marketing product management.

More games = less sales? Interesting, perhaps Nintendo should delete all our existing Switch games to boost sales further.

So where is this announcment from that Uncle Nate who works at Nintendo?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Ardormor said:

More games = less sales? Interesting, perhaps Nintendo should delete all our existing Switch games to boost sales further.

That's not what he said. He states that Nintendo shouldn't make broadcasts on the launch windows of their own games. 

Which doesn't sound accurate. If I'm interested in Origami King but a couple of days after its release Nintendo shows a new BOTW 2 trailer, that's not going to stop me from buying it. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It's past 5 and no announcement as expected. Lol "insiders"

Around the Network

Metroid Trilogy port, new 2D Metroid, Metroid Prime 4? You can see what I'm waiting for...

Honestly I don't see how a announcement of a game to be released in 3 to 4 months will affect short-them sales of a newly released game

Especially if both game aren't anything alike

NightlyPoe said:
Leynos said:
It's past 5 and no announcement as expected. Lol "insiders"

I wonder if you said the same thing when the insiders told us the Mini Direct was going to happen on March 26 and people declared it a bust when it wasn't announced the day before, only for it to be shadow-dropped right on schedule.

In other words, we can't really say anything until tomorrow passes.  Nintendo just does what it wants.

I have no recollection of a March Direct. I have not seen one since September. I ignore minis and indies. I want there to be a direct but I roll my eyes how many "insiders" there are. So many are full of BS. I never heard of Uncle Nate at Nintendo. People put so much trust in Rogers when she is wrong half the time. Same with Liam.

Leynos said:
NightlyPoe said:

I wonder if you said the same thing when the insiders told us the Mini Direct was going to happen on March 26 and people declared it a bust when it wasn't announced the day before, only for it to be shadow-dropped right on schedule.

In other words, we can't really say anything until tomorrow passes.  Nintendo just does what it wants.

I have no recollection of a March Direct. I have not seen one since September. I ignore minis and indies. I want there to be a direct but I roll my eyes how many "insiders" there are. So many are full of BS. I never heard of Uncle Nate at Nintendo. People put so much trust in Rogers when she is wrong half the time. Same with Liam.

Emily has had an almost perfect track record since like 2017 lol. What’s the point of wanting a direct but then choosing to ignore a mini. If a mini is dropped tomorrow at 10, I guess that the crazy insiders were wrong once again 

MasonADC said:
Leynos said:

Emily has had an almost perfect track record since like 2017 lol. What’s the point of wanting a direct but then choosing to ignore a mini. If a mini is dropped tomorrow at 10, I guess that the crazy insiders were wrong once again 

Mini's never been that interesting. Yeah wasn't she the one talking about BG&E2 exclusive to Switch? heh. I never got a Xenoblade or Astral Chain like an announcement that I recall at a mini.