Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Play Station made home console gaming the standard ?

Europe only cared about handheld , so Nintendo was in Europe but now Sony and Nintendo are both implanted in Europe (Nintendo DS , Wii , Nintendo Switch, GBA or GB)

I like Nintendo and Sony but more than this I love video games

Around the Network

Nintendo and Sony have a large base of players in Western Europe (where I live) elsewhere in Spain and France people prefer Nintendo to Sony, in Eastern Europe Nintendo consoles are very expensive so Sony is privileged

JapaneseGamesLover said:

The first home console to sell over 100m is PS1. Its closest competitor was NES with 61m units, while GameBoy was far more successful. PS1 changed the gaming industry forever with the introduction of CD ROM console gaming and making home consoles the main point of interest, bringing new players in the market, such as Microsoft.  PS2  confirmed that the home console gaming is the main treat, becoming the standard with sales almost touching 160m units. Microsoft invested millions, securing titles, moneyhatting studios to gain the marketshare of the home consoles market with 360. Nintendo created the Wii as an effort to regain audience in the home console market. In that gen, all three home consoles sold around 280m units combined, a record for home console gaming. That was all, because PS1 and PS2 were the standard. If it wasnt for Sony pushing PS1 in the market, none of this would happen and today we would live in a world of PC and mobile gaming.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
Standard means market norm, which can be measured by numbers. I post numbers and facts. Isnt PS1 the first home console to reach 100m userbase ? I dont get the NES posts.

If you only post facts why did you find it necessary to fabricate a claim that PlayStation was the first console to use CD ROM?

Yes, the Playstation was first. Yes, Playstation is the best. Yes, Playstation rules. Yes, Playstation cant be beat. Yes, Playstation makes lives better. Yes, Playstation will cure cancer. Yes, Playstation for president. Yes, Playstation will stop global warming. Yes, Playstation beats Playstation.

That should probably cover your future threads as well. Fucking hell man...

Shadow made some good points about its growth in Europe.
Anecdotally, I do remember plenty of girls in school and people that normally knew little to nothing about gaming were commonly brand familiar with PlayStation, and talking about it. I think PS managed to make it more mainstream in parts of the world, but can't neglect that consoles were already on that level in Japan and US.

Around the Network

Debatable whether it made consoles the standard, but it injected massive new life into gaming. It was the console to standardize CD-ROMs, the DualShock is the foundation of every controller afterward, and the third-party support transformed the industry.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

hunter_alien said:
Playstation introduced neither the CD-ROM nor the home console, but yes, I do agree it made it standard. The industry was already stalling a bit with Nintendo and Sega, and new blood was needed. And that new blood sold more than twice the combined total of its rivals, so yeah downplaying the influence Sony had on the industry is pure ignorance.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
Standard means market norm, which can be measured by numbers. I post numbers and facts. Isnt PS1 the first home console to reach 100m userbase ? I dont get the NES posts.

KBG29 said:
Sony took console gaming from 60 Million homes, to 160 Million homes. PlayStation grew console gaming to where it is today with PS1 and PS2.

Unfortunately, they have stagnated with PS3 and PS4. However, Microsoft has picked up the slack, with 360 & XBO to keep console gaming relatively stable over the last 15 years.

Hopefully, with PS5 & XBS we will see a return to growth in the console space. The speed of the SSD and I/O in both console should keep them well ahead of off the shelf PCs in practical uses for a few years to come.

If they can continue to push the gaming medium deeper and wider, while also making things like Communication, Social Media, Quality of Life, Shopping, Banking, etc. stupidly accessible, then they might finally be able to punch consoles past that 200M wall, and well beyond.

2nd Gen:  approximately 37 million

3rd Gen:  approximately 85 million

4th Gen:  approximately 101 million

5th Gen:  approximately 147 million

Home console gaming was growing gen over gen before the PlayStation's arrival.  

Nintendo and PlayStation are dominating not only PlayStation man , please stop with your spam

JapaneseGamesLover said:

Why is 100M the number that we are choosing? It feels arbitrary. NES was the first console to reach 60M. Why can't that be considered? 

The growth of the gaming market can't solely be attributed to Playstations success. There are other factors that must be considered, such as ease of access, price of games (gaming is cheaper now than it was before), and just a general change of attitudes. 

PAOerfulone said:

No, this thing did.

End thread