By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Play Station made home console gaming the standard ?

Ka-pi96 said:
OneTime said:
I don't think that Sony ever intended to enter the hardware side of the games market. The Playstation was a collaboration with Nintendo that didn't work out for corporate reasons. If Sony hadn't ended up with a basically-finished PS1 on their hands, they'd never have sat down and built a console.

In any case, there is no doubt that console gaming started with the Atari 2600, the Nintendo Entertainment system, and SEGA. I could turn your argument around and say that Nintendo is the only "real" games console company left: Sony mostly make TVs and HiFis, Microsoft mostly makes software for work computers...

Have we gone back to the 90s or something?

I mean, people still buy HiFis (had to google that to even find out what it was )? Don't they have iphones? WTF? And I expect Sony make more money from gaming than from TVs too.

LOL - yes maybe not so much cameras and music equipment anymore.  I don't mean to say that Playstation isn't an important part of Sony, but it's not even a quarter of what they do.  I imagine that they make most of their money from their film and music side.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
GoOnKid said:

I don't think so, sorry. The gaming market steadily grew even long before Playstation.

:::Cough:::1983GamingCrash:::CoughCough:::

You do realize that the NES already successfully brought North America out of the 1983 crash almost a decade before the first PlayStation was sold in NA?  Nintendo went out of their way to package the system with R.O.B. to trick retailers into stocking it in their stores in a time when no one thought a video game console could sell.  The NES paved the way for the 3rd Generation to see a 125% increase in sales over the previous Generation.  Post North American Video Game Crash.  So yes, the market was steadily increasing.

Ka-pi96 said:
LivingMetal said:
From a content standpoint, the original PlayStation brought a wider variety of titles and genres to a wider audience. If there were one "untapped" major territory left to exploit, it was North America. Yes, Americans have been gaming since PONG. But it was the PlayStation that presented console gaming to an older demographic in contract to the younger audience of the previous console generation.

Literally the entire world except the US and Japan were untapped. I'm sure there's at least one major market in there somewhere.

Besides, the charts posted earlier show that console sales in the US never even increased that much with PS. Looks to be about a 22% increase over the 4th gen, which is actually the smallest % increase of any gen on that chart. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9178405

Plus, couldn't you argue that people from the previous generation getting older also meant there was now a bigger, older demographic?

For a while, Japan, North America, and Europe (which included Australia) were considered the three major territories for the console gaming market.  I placed "untapped" in quotes because before the advent of the PlayStation, console gaming as a whole in North America was still viewed as a child's activity while console gaming in Japan was simply another form of recreation for most demographics.  So the "untapped" market in this context was the young to middle aged adults who possesses a more disposable income in North America.

I think Nintendo made home console gaming standard, but Playstation was the next evolution that perfected the art. Had the N64 been CD rom and not pissed off 3rd parties with high fees, Square develops games for Nintendo and the history of gaming would have looked quite a bit different. Losing Square was a big loss especially in Japan, and while I stuck with Nintendo that generation and enjoyed every minute of it, you can bet I missed out on Final Fantasy, and Chrono Cross and didn't get to play them until much later on a high definition tv where the pixels looked awful. Had I been older at the time, I probably would have owned both systems.

PAOerfulone said:

No, this thing did.

No, it wasn't.  It only revitalized the console market.  I knew more adults who enjoyed Atari than Nintendo. 

Around the Network

No, but it did become the next big competitor to the company that made home consoles a standard for gaming, after SEGA dropped out.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

OneTime said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Have we gone back to the 90s or something?

I mean, people still buy HiFis (had to google that to even find out what it was )? Don't they have iphones? WTF? And I expect Sony make more money from gaming than from TVs too.

LOL - yes maybe not so much cameras and music equipment anymore.  I don't mean to say that Playstation isn't an important part of Sony, but it's not even a quarter of what they do.  I imagine that they make most of their money from their film and music side.

Actually it is almost exactly a quarter of what they do.

Per FY2019, Games and Network Services Revenue was 1,977.6 Bin Yen (24%), while Sony's Total Revenue was 8,259.9 Bin Yen. As for Operating Profits, Game and Network Services was 238.4 Bin Yen (28%), while Sony's Total Operating Profit was 845.5 Bin Yen.

For reference, Music was 849.9 Bin Yen (10%) Revenue/ 142.3 Bin Yen (17%) Profit, and Film (Pictures) was 1,011.9 Bin Yen (12%) Revenue/ 68.2 Bin Yen (8%) Profits.

So Film and Music combine match PlayStation at 24% Revenue, however, they fall just short of PlayStation in Profits at 25% vs 28%.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

At least in North America and Japan, the NES already did that. An EA exec recalled reviewing a list of top selling software back in the 1980s. They had to go through two pages of NES titles to find the best-selling PC title. 

Burning Typhoon said:
KBG29 said:
Sony took console gaming from 60 Million homes, to 160 Million homes. PlayStation grew console gaming to where it is today with PS1 and PS2.

Unfortunately, they have stagnated with PS3 and PS4. However, Microsoft has picked up the slack, with 360 & XBO to keep console gaming relatively stable over the last 15 years.

Hopefully, with PS5 & XBS we will see a return to growth in the console space. The speed of the SSD and I/O in both console should keep them well ahead of off the shelf PCs in practical uses for a few years to come.

If they can continue to push the gaming medium deeper and wider, while also making things like Communication, Social Media, Quality of Life, Shopping, Banking, etc. stupidly accessible, then they might finally be able to punch consoles past that 200M wall, and well beyond.

Global sales of the PS3 and system capabilities out-matched the Xbox 360.  The only thing people didn't like about the PS3 when it was first announced was the price.  I'd say if anything, they stagnated with the PS4, as it literally has fewer on-board features than the PS3.  The sale of the PS4, have still outmatched the Xbox One.

As far as Xbox One is concerned, the only game it has that you can't get on PC is Halo 5.  Even Xbox Live is free to access on PC.  That's stagnating.

You don't stumble for 2 generations in a row, and still have massive support behind the PS5.

I don't disagree. The PS3 was a much better device, with a better ecosystem, and a better games library than PS4. Sony just failed to gain any traction with it. PS4 is a far worse device, with a definitively worse ecosystem, that Sony stumbled into success with due to blunders from Microsoft and Nintendo. 

Luckily, the PS5 is looking more like a PS3 successor than a PS4 successor, and that could mean big things. This time, it looks like they will have the right price, the right features, and a lineup of 1st Party Exclusives.

One thing that hamstrung PS3 was that many of the big titles that had made PS1 & PS2 so successful where 3rd party, and they were made multiplatform when PS3 failed to launch on time, and meet sales expectations. That is not the case with the Titles that pulled PS3 through its later years, and have become major successes on PS4. If gamers want to play Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, The Last of Us, and Spider-Man, PS5 will be the only place to play. Sony has built an unrivaled library of exclusives, and now it looks like they are going to go back into the game of innovation and expansion, while maintaining and growing their already strong games library. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Yes but now the Nintendo Switch will outsell the PlayStation 4