By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Play Station made home console gaming the standard ?

This thread was not created to have a discussion. It was made to praise what is in OPs signature and argue with anyone who doesn't agree. The answer is no and lol at thinking it was the first CD-based system. You really need an education in game consoles. Had Saturn done everything right PS1 would not even exist. Sony would have been in partnership with SEGA for the PS1 which was in talks. Or let's say Saturn was easy to develop for and Sony still made PS1  and N64 were easy to develop for and CD-Rom. Marketing was good for both SEGA and Nintendo. Well then FFVII comes to N64. PS1 becomes another 3D0/CDi/Amiga 32 or at best the new NEC PCE. PS1 mainly benefited from Saturn's chipset being difficult and a botched US launch. Also, N64 using carts. FFVII was only moved to PS1 because carts were too limited in space.  NES set the standard. Everything after was built on the formula NES created. Esp in licensing games. PS1 does not exist unless they worked with SEGA and Nintendo. Sony published games on Sega CD. They worked with Nintendo on the sound chip for SNES. Then the CD add on. PS1 does not exist without working with SEGA and Nintendo first and learning the console business.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

While I'm not surprised about who made this thread, I'm kind of worried that 4 people agreed with that OP.

Leynos said:

This thread was not created to have a discussion. It was made to praise what is in OPs signature and argue with anyone who doesn't agree. The answer is no and lol at thinking it was the first CD-based system. You really need an education in game consoles. Had Saturn done everything right PS1 would not even exist. Sony would have been in partnership with SEGA for the PS1 which was in talks. Or let's say Saturn was easy to develop for and Sony still made PS1  and N64 were easy to develop for and CD-Rom. Marketing was good for both SEGA and Nintendo. Well then FFVII comes to N64. PS1 becomes another 3D0/CDi/Amiga 32 or at best the new NEC PCE. PS1 mainly benefited from Saturn's chipset being difficult and a botched US launch. Also, N64 using carts. FFVII was only moved to PS1 because carts were too limited in space.  NES set the standard. Everything after was built on the formula NES created. Esp in licensing games. PS1 does not exist unless they worked with SEGA and Nintendo. Sony published games on Sega CD. They worked with Nintendo on the sound chip for SNES. Then the CD add on. PS1 does not exist without working with SEGA and Nintendo first and learning the console business.

The thing is none of those brands it all together and released a product with enough innovation at the time to spark great interest. This attracted third parties to their console and remains a staple to their success. PS1 to PS4.

I was a massive fan of Sega and was of Atari but I never bought a Mega CD or Jaguar. Its like when Apple released the Iphone. There was nothing quite like Playstaion in the marketplace. Games like Final Fantasy VII or any other games would have not been possible at least with full FMV's on any other consoles. Then you have the PS1 pad and DualShock which are the foundation/s of modern game pad.

You could argue that a lot of franchises never would have made it if it wasn't for PS release. They reached a larger audience and console gaming continues to grow. Should they not have existed who knows what would have happened. We might not have had Xbox and console gaming could have remained more niche like in the 80's and 90's. Who knows. We do know that they are one of the market leaders since 1997.

hinch said:
Leynos said:

The thing is none of those brands it all together and released a product with enough innovation at the time to spark great interest. This attracted third parties to their console and remains a staple to their success. PS1 to PS4.

I was a massive fan of Sega and was of Atari but I never bought a Mega CD or Jaguar. Its like when Apple released the Iphone. There was nothing quite like Playstaion in the marketplace. Games like Final Fantasy VII or any other games would have not been possible at least with full FMV's on any other consoles. Then you have the PS1 pad and DualShock which are the foundation/s of modern game pad.

You could argue that a lot of franchises never would have made it if it wasn't for PS release. They reached a larger audience and console gaming continues to grow. Should they not have existed who knows what would have happened. We might not have had Xbox and console gaming would have remained more niche.

Sony's controller is based on the SNES controller. You can thank Vectrex for analog sticks, not Nintendo or Sony. Adding a second one is evolutionary, not revolutionary. Sony didn't innovate aside form may be marketing. Even that was an evolution of SEGA's.

Last edited by Leynos - on 07 July 2020

Leynos said:
hinch said:

You could argue that a lot of franchises never would have made it if it wasn't for PS release. They reached a larger audience and console gaming continues to grow. Should they not have existed who knows what would have happened. We might not have had Xbox and console gaming would have remained more niche.

Sony's controller is based on the SNES controller.

I was talking about general shape - handles and dual shoulder buttons.

Around the Network
hinch said:
Leynos said:

Sony's controller is based on the SNES controller.

I was talking about general shape - handles and dual shoulder buttons.

Handles. Genesis 3 button pad. Saturn pad as well. Shoulder buttons. SNES.

Handles that reach to the palm and L2-R2. Basically a gamepad size which isn't designed for children.

hinch said:

Handles that reach to the palm and L2-R2. Basically a gamepad size which isn't designed for children.

Clearly you never held a 3 button pad but keep moving that goal post. The 3 button was the Xbox duke of its day. It's bigger than the DS.

Also once again adding more of something that existed it's not innovating or being revolutionary. It's evolutionary.

Um I have. I have the Megadrive in the attic somewhere. PS1 pad and DS controllers are a mile away in terms of what you consider handles, plus the pad was flat which was the way they were designed back then :P Just look at the way you have to hold the Megadrive/Genesis pad. Its mostly claw grip unless you have tiny child size hand.

No other console had that design at that period. Snes, Saturn etc. Nintendo followed up on this on GC pad controller and added dual analogue extra shoulder button, rumble etc.

Wrong but again the goal posts keep moving so I will just leave being right.