By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Play Station made home console gaming the standard ?

PAOerfulone said:
And while we’re at it, this whole “Sony made gaming more mature and for adults/not just child’s plaything” narrative is a load of bull.

In terms if saving console gaming and making it the standard: That was Nintendo.

In terms if tearing down the narrative that video games were for kids and showing its for adults too: That was, wait for it:

SEGAAAAAAAA!

Sega’s entire strategy with the Genesis/Mega Drive was that it was cool, hip, and edgy while Nintendo wasn’t.

“Genesis does what Nintendon’t.”
Remember that one?

Sega wanted a mascot that was meant to be “cooler” meaning “better” than Mario in every sense. That’s how Sonic was born and what he was meant to be: The anti-Mario. Just like Sega was meant to be the anti-Nintendo, and there was nothing more anti-Nintendo at the time that blood, guys, gore, and more adult/mature content.

Just look at the Genesis and SNES versions of Mortal Kombat.
SNES version - White colored sweat, “finishing move.”
Genesis version- Actual blood, “fatality.”

There was plenty of controversy surrounding Mortal Kombat and games like it that came out at the time like Night Trap for the Sega CD. It was so bad it went all the way to Congress! That’s what eventually lead to the ESRB being founded in September 1994, roughly 2 months before the PlayStation was even released in Japan.

Gaming as a whole was headed in the direction that it was headed - Expanding, steadily growing, more adult-oriented audience, regardless of PlayStation.

Sony’s success had more to do with Sega and Nintendo’s various blunders than anything else. Sega for butchering the Saturn’s international launch; Nintendo for sticking with cartridges at a time when CD-Roms were THE format. They capitalized on their mistakes and had the perfect strategy. Right place, right time, a little bit of luck, and cashing in on their 2 main competitors’ biggest mistakes, and in Sega’s case, led to their eventual downfall as a console manufacturer.

It still baffles me how people continue to put Sony at that time on the same level as Nintendo and Sega, and sometimes even as some underdog. All the while not knowing that Sony was a looming giant that dwarfed these companies in every aspect. Distribution networks, research and development, budgets, marketing. It's mind-numbing how people don't understand that Sony making the Playstation was like IBM making the Personal Computer. All in the industry knew it was coming, and all were rightfully afraid of it. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
LivingMetal said:

You're correct.  It was third party developers that flocked to a Sony platform versus the Nintendo and Sega ones.  So Sony did "nothing." 

Yeah, truly. Sont didn't really have to do anything, really.

Nintendo had an iron grip on the publishers, and those wanted to get out of it asap to be able to make more money with different games and platforms. The N64 still using cartridges didn't help matters at all either.

Sega Saturn's GPU was based on a technology without future, the world already having spun into a different direction, which made programming games for it very difficult and thus expensive. Add to this that the Saturn wasn't doing so hot due to previous blunders with the Mega CD and 32X being touted as the next big thing before and thus consumers being wary of Sega.

So no small wonder why publishers flocked to Sony instead. It's competitors done fucked it up big time and Sony was the only real alternative.

And even that was slow early on due to the publishers fearing Sony could be another CDi or 3DO disaster. The console floundered behind the N64 early on - until Final Fantasy VII came and propelled the PSOne sales right into orbit and stayed up there for 3 years.

Do you realize that almost everything you said proved my point...?  If there were no PlayStation, there would be no PlayStation, and the problems and issues you mentioned would have stinted console gaming growth.  Even YOU implied that.  But in reality, there is PlayStation which solved the issues you mentioned.  So wrapping things up, what Sony did was give the consumers and developers WHAT THEY WANT.  So call that "nothing" if you will.  Because those who see "nothing," perceive NOTHING out of denial when there is something.  Or if it makes you feel better, maybe it can be argued that Sony made console gaming "standard" because Nintendo and Sega FUCKED IT UP! Better?  So would you rather go with a MORE PROVISIONAL OPTION or the FUCK UPS? Either way, it's history.  Reality.  Life.  Get one.

User was banned for this post - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 July 2020

I honestly thought this was a joke thread when I read the title but OP is serious >_

Ka-pi96 said:
LivingMetal said:

For a while, Japan, North America, and Europe (which included Australia) were considered the three major territories for the console gaming market.  I placed "untapped" in quotes because before the advent of the PlayStation, console gaming as a whole in North America was still viewed as a child's activity while console gaming in Japan was simply another form of recreation for most demographics.  So the "untapped" market in this context was the young to middle aged adults who possesses a more disposable income in North America.

Europe has a population of over 700 million and before the PS only had console sales of around 15 million. Not only was it not a major territory at the time, it was also undoubtedly untapped.

Console gaming may have been viewed as a child's activity in the US, but it was barely even viewed as anything at all in Europe.

Population is a non-issue as long as you find a large enough target audience that is receptive to an idea or item you are promoting.  Not arguing with you.  Just saying.

LivingMetal said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Nintendo had an iron grip on the publishers, and those wanted to get out of it asap to be able to make more money with different games and platforms. The N64 still using cartridges didn't help matters at all either.

Sega Saturn's GPU was based on a technology without future, the world already having spun into a different direction, which made programming games for it very difficult and thus expensive. Add to this that the Saturn wasn't doing so hot due to previous blunders with the Mega CD and 32X being touted as the next big thing before and thus consumers being wary of Sega.

So no small wonder why publishers flocked to Sony instead. It's competitors done fucked it up big time and Sony was the only real alternative.

And even that was slow early on due to the publishers fearing Sony could be another CDi or 3DO disaster. The console floundered behind the N64 early on - until Final Fantasy VII came and propelled the PSOne sales right into orbit and stayed up there for 3 years.

Do you realize that almost everything you said proved my point...?  If there were no PlayStation, there would be no PlayStation, and the problems and issues you mentioned would have stinted console gaming growth.  Even YOU implied that.  But in reality, there is PlayStation which solved the issues you mentioned.  So wrapping things up, what Sony did was give the consumers and developers WHAT THEY WANT.  So call that "nothing" if you will.  Because those who see "nothing," perceive NOTHING out of denial when there is something.  Or if it makes you feel better, maybe it can be argued that Sony made console gaming "standard" because Nintendo and Sega FUCKED IT UP! Better?  So would you rather go with a MORE PROVISIONAL OPTION or the FUCK UPS? Either way, it's history.  Reality.  Life.  Get one.

Hypothetically if we say SEGA and Nintendo were the only ones in play today, we would have even less competition. Video games would most likely be even more expensive games as they are now. Games back in 5th gen were expensive even without inflation taken into consideration. Iirc PS1 games were around $50 or £45 for new games. SNES games ranged from $60 some going to $100. Megadrive games were around $60. I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo's margins per game on SNES was pretty darn high hence why a lot of publishers jumped ship.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 July 2020

Around the Network

It seems the gaming Gods smiled upon me.  This just showed up on my YouTube recommendations:

The usual suspects always in the PS threads. I dont even bother to quote you. Numbers and Facts are more important than biased opinions.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
The usual suspects always in the PS threads. I dont even bother to quote you. Numbers and Facts are more important than biased opinions.

Says the person with a giant Sony signature

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

LivingMetal said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Nope.

Consoles would possibly have developed in a different way, but apart from that the growth would have stayed similar.

Also, you say here that Playstation gave the gamers what they wanted (which I mostly agree)... but the argument before was that it gave the developers what they wanted, which is a rather big difference. Had Nintendo or Sega not fucked it up, Playstation would never have had the opportunity to get this big

And WTF with that insult at the end???

JapaneseGamesLover said:

How is your op not a biased opinion?  You are setting an arbitrary sales figure as some kind of standard to try and prove your opinion.  Also, I own all the systems with PlayStation being my main console.  I am in no way biased towards Nintendo, but it is obviously the system that standardized gaming if you try to look at it with any kind of objective viewpoint.