By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Last of Us Part II sold through more than 4m copies during its first weekend. Lifetime sales expectations for the PS4 version alone?

The Last of Us Part II sold through more than 4m copies during its first weekend. Lifetime sales expectations for the PS4 version alone?

Less than 7 million 120 10.17%

7.0 - 7.9 million 47 3.98%

8.0 - 8.9 million 70 5.93%

9.0 - 9.9 million 77 6.53%

10.0 - 11.9 million 260 22.03%

12.0 - 13.9 million 170 14.41%

14.0 - 15.9 million 179 15.17%

16.0 - 17.9 million 91 7.71%

18.0 - 20.0 million 62 5.25%

More than 20 million 104 8.81%

Total:1,180
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
PotentHerbs said:

Does this include digital sales?

Only physical

It puts TLOU:PII sales into perspective.

IIRC, Sony stated digital sales have overcome physical sales, and while TLOU:PII is trending below other major releases in physical copies, its most likely trending above them in digital sales. 

Around the Network
Teriol said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
[Week 24, 2020] The Last of Us II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 194,000 / New
[Week 25, 2020] The Last of Us II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 39,000 / 233,000 (-80%)
[Week 26, 2020] The Last of Us II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 18,000 / 251,000 (-53%)
[Week 27, 2020] The Last of Us II (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 9,500 / 260,500 (-48%)

[Week 36, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 190,000 / NEW
[Week 37, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 110,000 / 300,000 (-42%)
[Week 38, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 47,000 / 347,000 (-57%)
[Week 39, 2018] MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 27,500 / 374,500 (-42%)

[Week 16, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 96,000 / NEW
[Week 17, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 62,000 / 158,000 (-35%)
[Week 18, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 27,000 / 185,000 (-56%)
[Week 19, 2018] GOD OF WAR (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 19,000 / 204,000 (-30%)

[Week 19, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 192,000 / NEW
[Week 20, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 42,000 / 234,000 (-78%)
[Week 21, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 26,500 / 260,500 (-37%)
[Week 22, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) ~ 19,000 / 279,500 (-27%)

Massive drop off, i wonder how mad is sony rigth now with Neil "Crunchman".

Yes sure, broke record on release, already paid its production cost, best reviewed exclusive... to much for Sony to be mad at.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:
Barkley said:

Two questions? He made about 15 posts in this thread. Since when did I say burn at the stake?

Way to blow things out of proportion. And Yes I'm done.

Literally just said he has a narrative about the games sales and you think I want to burn him at the stake? lol. But I guess you are pushing your own narrative in this thread about people being too invested in games sales. xD

I was referring to the question of Japanese sales so no 15 posts, and I used a figure of speech, I didn't expect you to physically burn a person at the stake. Why twist my post?

I'm not invested in game sales, I'm invested in this forum. If you want, I can encourage you to post things like:

"What a sad joke.The reason I stopped coming here for the past few months."

"I'm done"

"His previous posts trying to say the game is a failure"

"I guess you are pushing your own narrative in this thread"

"I know this doesn't fit your narrative of this game bombing so I'm sorry about that."

OR I can tell you to stop and be better. But given how popular your response to me was, it looks like this community wants you to post that way, so by all means KEEP GOING! Maybe if I say that I'll get a few likes

It is because community doesn`t like people that pretend to be neutral, impartial or "mature" so when someone answer showing that the person was doing that then it will get thumbs up.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

How in the hell less than 7 millions got 120 votes?

This game sold above 4 milions in just three days. Come on, GoW did 5 millions in a whole month, and SM around 9 milions in just two months.

Uncharted 4 sold 8.7 or 8.9 milions in 6 months in it's first year.

I don't get it really.
I can imagine that's legs will not be that great because of the divise story (which for me was really great and i respect ND for so big risk)
well, we will see soon probably.

zkp said:
How in the hell less than 7 millions got 120 votes?

This game sold above 4 milions in just three days. Come on, GoW did 5 millions in a whole month, and SM around 9 milions in just two months.

Uncharted 4 sold 8.7 or 8.9 milions in 6 months in it's first year.

I don't get it really.
I can imagine that's legs will not be that great because of the divise story (which for me was really great and i respect ND for so big risk)
well, we will see soon probably.

Possible some of those votes are made because people want it to do badly while knowing it will not do that badly.

Around the Network

It's been a month now. Thought about it more.

As a game, it's brilliant to playthrough that first time. Gameplay is tight, the story hits you hard and the surprises come out of nowhere. It's just so... Dark. It's grim. While the original was full of feel good moments despite having it's fair share of tragedy, this one is just wall to wall depression and pain with a little feelgood sprinkled between that first 50% of the game. It seems to last forever and it's a real slog to play through a second time.

With no multiplayer, the game itself being tough to replay, a huge divisive twist and no real happy ending... Legs will probably be cut quite quickly. The inevitable PS5 version will undoubtedly have better legs when it launches with updates and multiplayer, but this one wont have anywhere near the same impact as the original.

4 million, eh? Lovely. Lovely. Well earned.

Carl said:
It's been a month now. Thought about it more.

As a game, it's brilliant to playthrough that first time. Gameplay is tight, the story hits you hard and the surprises come out of nowhere. It's just so... Dark. It's grim. While the original was full of feel good moments despite having it's fair share of tragedy, this one is just wall to wall depression and pain with a little feelgood sprinkled between that first 50% of the game. It seems to last forever and it's a real slog to play through a second time.

With no multiplayer, the game itself being tough to replay, a huge divisive twist and no real happy ending... Legs will probably be cut quite quickly. The inevitable PS5 version will undoubtedly have better legs when it launches with updates and multiplayer, but this one wont have anywhere near the same impact as the original.

Very true, likely the best game I ever had when considered as a full package for a first play, but hard to do a second gameplay without a considerable time between.

This is probably the least profitable game made by ND in the last 15 years or so. The game's value has dropped hard since it was released (20 bucks for a new copy at Amazon) while Ghost of Tsushima, a game that came out around the same time, has kept its value high.

I really liked TLoU 1, didn't care for TLoU 2. TLoU 2 was too long and Abby felt redundant. Same basic story (revenge), same area, most same weapons and gameplay, etc.

Not sure about TLoU 1 Remaster... already looks amazing on ps4. Not sure if the upgrade is worth it.