By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS5 and Xbox Series X combined will sell less than 120M.

DonFerrari said:
Bonzinga said:
I predict 80m each for both consoles. 160m life time for both. That's due to the PC market growing and Cloud Streaming. Xbox Live and PS Now will start eating into console sales and more and more console games will cross to the PC.

I think you are the first in VGC I have seem openly saying thinks Xbox Series X will sell on similar numbers as PS5.

Give or take, maybe not exactly 50/50, PS5 might hit 100 while XSX hits 60, than again.. it was only one gen ago we had both systems on par with each other. Its not impossible to see them on par again. All comes down to customer value.

Around the Network
Bonzinga said:
DonFerrari said:

I think you are the first in VGC I have seem openly saying thinks Xbox Series X will sell on similar numbers as PS5.

Give or take, maybe not exactly 50/50, PS5 might hit 100 while XSX hits 60, than again.. it was only one gen ago we had both systems on par with each other. Its not impossible to see them on par again. All comes down to customer value.

Well there is a big margin between 60-100 to 80-80. But well you may be right. It is just that even Xbox fans of long time in VGC expect the gap to close but still having a big gap because of Europe and Japan, while Xbox outsell PS comfortably on USA and UK.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Bonzinga said:
I predict 80m each for both consoles. 160m life time for both. That's due to the PC market growing and Cloud Streaming. Xbox Live and PS Now will start eating into console sales and more and more console games will cross to the PC.

They may very well be right. I am looking at it a little differently next gen. If both companies don't slip up at launch i can see gamer's wanting to get both eventually. On that note, the 360 parred with the PS3 and it did it without Japan and Europe so its not entirely impossible. It all depends how these companies launch and the value behind them.

I quoted the wrong post you sent /facepalm

That reply was for your 2nd post.

What makes you think the consoles will be unappealing to the general consumer? I at least will give you that my mother would never let me to have something as tall as the PS5 without asking how much of a fortune it costed me. It's an interesting prediction the one you make, though. Maybe prices and sizes will definitely be a factor after all, although it's too early to tell.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Bonzinga said:
DonFerrari said:

They may very well be right. I am looking at it a little differently next gen. If both companies don't slip up at launch i can see gamer's wanting to get both eventually. On that note, the 360 parred with the PS3 and it did it without Japan and Europe so its not entirely impossible. It all depends how these companies launch and the value behind them.

Yep. I don't expect Sony to make the same mistakes that they did on PS3, also don't expect MS to do the mistakes of X1. So I can see Xbox reaching 60-70M and PS5 110-120M. But sure it could end up both on 80-90M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

So...somehow the Switch will sell 100M units, but PS5 and Xbox SX combined will only sell 20M more...nah. I think both consoles might have a slower start due to COVID, but they'll get rolling. The games people want and didn't know they wanted will show up and the consoles will continue to sell.

I think you can't count out MS that easy. I don't see the Series X doing that much worse than the Xbox one when it literally was HATED since it was announced and they really f**ked their PR for the first years while sony mastered it. This time there is more of a shared excitement sure a little most on the PS side (coming off the PS4 that's normal) but i think we should wait for the MS conference and the prices. Locals are easy to change side and a really nice conference from MS can turn things around in the US atleast.

I also don't think the 2 consoles combined will fall that much WW. Maybe the Switch could impact a little since last gen the Wii U flopped but i doubt the impact will be that big.

I would say just based on current hype and expecting higher prices : 90 millions PS5 and 65 millions of Xbox series X
But again, things can really turn around.

I can't buy into this.

PC's are not going to replace Consoles, and Consoles won't replace PC. Streaming will offer an option, but even in the best case, I don't expect it to be the main form of gaming in most homes for many more years.

Consoles are flat out the best way to consume media on a large screen in the home. PC and Smart TV's are no threat to Console's in your average household. Picking up a PlayStation or Xbox Controller and pressing the Home button turns on everything in your Media Center and opens you up to a nearly unlimited mutlimedia expereince. It is as simple and convenient as it gets, and that is what the majority of people are looking for when they sit down on the couch.

These new consoles are going to make things even more simple and convenient, while completely eleminating wait time. That is going to be a major selling point for both next gen consoles. When people see games and apps loading instantly on PS5 and XBS it will get PS4 and XBO users running out to upgrade ASAP. I won't be surprised to see many using Set Top Boxes and Smart TVs make a leap to the new consoles, when they see just how smoothly they move between content. There is nothing more annoying for most people than trying to move through content or apps, while shaking their remote at the TV/Set Top box as it fails to smoothly respond to their inputs.

I fully expect PS5 and XBS to once again land in the 150 - 200 Million range, just as these consoles have done for the last 20 years.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I pre-ordered my PS5 last friday when I picked up The Last of Us (Game Mania Belgium).

Most people in line did the same. I believe just in that half an hour there were around 5 or 6 pre - orders. Just for that store i'm in the mid 300 range of amount of pre-orders. The average in Belgium for each store was closing into 400. In Netherlands and Belgium there are towards 70 stores and if numbers in both countries are similar that would amount to more than 24k PS5's from one chain already. I have never witnessed this craze on PS5. Every person in in Belgium knows about this console. It came on national news and various channels. A lot of people want it already.

If Sony can have the supply we will see records.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

Definitively not agree with this.
Series X is hard to predict, but i think PS5 will sell 100 million. Can't see XSX bombing so hard to not reach 20 million.

Overall sales of Playstation and XBOX have been very consistent in the past generation, and i don't see a Huge drop like that.