By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS5 and Xbox Series X combined will sell less than 120M.

After the next gen, PS3 will still be the lowest selling PS console. That's the only prediction I can confidently make right now.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

We don't have elements to make any prediction. Predictions now do not make any sense.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Ka-pi96 said:
Bonzinga said:
I predict 80m each for both consoles. 160m life time for both. That's due to the PC market growing and Cloud Streaming. Xbox Live and PS Now will start eating into console sales and more and more console games will cross to the PC.

As in, you think Xbox will get to 80m? How/why?

By selling consoles.. what else

Ka-pi96 said:
Bonzinga said:

By selling consoles.. what else

Well if only they knew it were that simple. Then they wouldn't have been floundering around miles behind PS4 all generation.

This generation and next generation has nothing to do with it.

The PS3 didn't sell 100m consoles last gen, and yet the PS4 did the generation after.

I'd say 110M PS5, 70M Xbox - due to the fact that both consoles will launch with two models (Xbox is still not official, but very likely). Sony will lose a few people to MS because of same target audience. MS should perform better next gen. PC usually works with a monitor and not a TV, so it's not in direct competition. Nintendo should have no problems next gen because of blue ocean and exclusives.

Around the Network

Impossible since PS5 will do 120M by itself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't see it.
Even if the sales trajectory starts looking that rough, I think both Sony and Microsoft would be willing to bite the bullet and cut prices significantly, which should save them from ending up quite that low. But I don't think that will be necesarry in the first place. I could see them selling slower than the current gen, but I also wouldn't be suprised if the next gen ends up being a bit longer, so I don't expect lifetime sales to be too different.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Well... He didn't include the Series S so...

But I do think ps5 might do better than 80 million however it's hard to tell until we get past the launch and see how they both perform.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Bonzinga said:
I predict 80m each for both consoles. 160m life time for both. That's due to the PC market growing and Cloud Streaming. Xbox Live and PS Now will start eating into console sales and more and more console games will cross to the PC.

I think you are the first in VGC I have seem openly saying thinks Xbox Series X will sell on similar numbers as PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I highly doubt it, gaming is growing bigger and bigger worldwide and countries & regions that aren't known to purchase consoles are now buying them more and more. The PS4 is killing it in the "Rest of the World" sales more than any other console which is showing that console gaming worldwide is a growing business, plus there's gonna be a newer generation who grew up surrounded by video games unlike the 50+ year olds. Also it's likely there's going to be multiple console models this gen like a PS5/Xbox SX Pro or a rumored budget Xbox "Lockhart" console which will boost sales this gen.