By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS5 and Xbox Series X combined will sell less than 120M.

Get that plate of crow ready.

There is a chance both the PS5 DE and Xbox Lockhart come in less than $400 with the latter looking to be a $300 machine. Sony is cultivating markets in emerging countries that will grow in the PS5's lifecycle. MS is in overall better position with their studios and vision which should lead to higher lifetime sales.

In terms of high end sales, I can see the Xbox Series X reach anywhere from 60 to 70 Million, while the PS5 reaches 130 - 140 Million. Low end sales will easily be above the 120 Million combined. There is still a chance for the PS4/Xbox One to outsell the PS360 lifetime units combined.

Around the Network

I really don't think so.
Xbox Series X seems to be learning from the Xbox One's shortcomings. Now is there a chance that Xbox Series X could be the Dreamcast of Xbox? Critically acclaimed but sells about the same or worse than its immediate predecessor which leads to the end of Xbox consoles? Yes, there is a chance. But I would say that's not the most likely outcome. And Phil Spencer said the Series X is not planned to be the last Xbox. I mean I know you don't want to admit the end before the console even releases, but he's probably right.
The PS5 won't sell as much as the PS4. And it sure as heck won't touch the PS2. But in a bad situation, PS5 will manage right around the lifetime sales of the PS3.
My relatively pessimistic prediction would be that the two combined sell 130 million. But I think they'll likely sell 145-150 million combined.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I think PS5 will sell less than ps4, but more than PS3, maybe on par wth PS1.
Xbox, I think it will sell on par with xbox one.
I think a low budget lockheart version can push these numbers.
So, 150 to 160M

BTW, In terms of technology, I think is a bigger leap than gen7 to gen 8.

Lol... you know next-gen is around the corner when the doom and consoles are irrelevant threads start to pop up.

If you had said something like 150m combined, I would have agreed; realistically though, the only way the XSX and PS5 sell that little is if streaming takes off.

Around the Network

Gotta wait for price before making any sort of prediction. But my preliminary guess would be PS5 isn't as strong as PS4 because Xbox won't trip straight out of the gate and Nintendo has an extremely popular system rather than a huge failure, this all results in more competition. Xbox I think will do a little bit better because they won't screw up from the start.

So before seeing any pricing, my total guess would be PS5 around 100million and XBSeries around 60+ million.