By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS5 and Xbox Series X combined will sell less than 120M.

You may wish to preheat the oven.

I'd wait on both pricing and lockhart before this prediction. What if PS5 launches at $449 and $399 for discless? $299 lockhart?

Consoles also.... typically have their best years after a price drop or two.

Around the Network

That’s BOLD, maybe if both consoles are close to $600 from the start. You got at least Xbox on your side since they don’t seem to care as much as before for console sales but instead are banking on subs/game pass/etc.

I’m going to say for a premature prediction both under 140mil for now

If that happends, I bet you that playstation 6 goes the super super cheap route.
Which means the next gen (after PS5) will be a small upgrade at best, super focused on price.

What Rol said. It's nice to think about a declining console market, but we're probably still at least a generation away from living that dream.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Consoles will never disappear. U want to know why? To get an equivalent pc with the same specs as the next gen consoles that can do Ray tracing, native 4k, 60fps or 120fps, it would cost u at least 3 to 4 xbox series x or ps5. Not everyone has that kind of money. Rtx 2080 in nz cost at least 1.5k nzd That's just gpu. Xbox series x wil probably cost 700 to 800 nzd.

Around the Network

100 million PS5 and 20 million xbox

mZuzek said:

You won't find me making predictions very often, but here it is. My first sales prediction thread.

I just got a bad vibe coming from these two. Both of these consoles I think look quite unappealing for the general consumer and are waaay too big. The Xbox One had these issues to an extent, but not this bad - and it already was mostly a failure outside the US. Furthermore, it feels like more and more games are coming to PC, with a lot of PS4 exclusives getting ported over to the PC at some point, and Xbox basically giving up on the idea of exclusivity as a whole. Sure, Sony will ensure their games take a while before the ports happen, but I think many people are gonna decide to skip consoles if they know they can get their games on PC later - especially since most people don't buy consoles early to begin with.

Consoles are getting to a point now where they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're just glorified PCs anymore. Their designs look way too much like what you'd find on gaming PC stores, almost like they're trying to appeal to that market more than console gamers, and even the size of the things isn't too much smaller than some desktops out there. But of course, the PC audience isn't exactly there for the taking.

Then there's the issue of pricing. We don't really have official numbers on these, but I think most people expect these consoles to ship at $500 at launch, which is... pretty steep. I think consoles need to have at least some casual appeal in order to be a success, but between the design, size, price, and lack of exclusivity, I don't see where the general audience interest will pick up. Besides, I get the feeling that nowadays most people don't care about crazy graphics anyway.

If I gotta put it in numbers, let's see...

35 million lifetime Xbox Series X
80 million lifetime PS5

Now I just gotta get ready for some crow.

I gotta disagree with the 80 million figure for PS5 though cannot speculate on the XB5 sales right now. No Playstation console has ever sold this low, not even the PS3 under fierce competition from X360 and the shadow of the Juggernaut WII. Heck I don't even know how it will compare to the PS4 at this stage as there are too many unknowns but I am pretty sure that it will sell more than PS3, which was released 13 years ago for $500. Even if the PS5 is released for the same price now, it will feel much cheaper due to the increases in inflation and nominal increase.

However, my gut feeling says that they will struggle to sell as much as the combined sales of PS4 and XB1 due to various reasons such as,

a) High nominal price
b) Diminishing returns (graphically the gap between this and next-gen is much smaller)
c) Global economic crisis
d) Japanese console regression
e) Competition from mobile, Switch and PCs
etc...

So, while the combined sales from PS5 and XBSX is likely to be less than PS4 and XB1, PS5 is unlikely to sell less than PS3. XBSX will definitely sell more than og Xbox but less than half of PS5.  It also depends on the time frame. So in 7 years...

PS5 will sell between 85 and 120 million
XBSX will sell between 30 and 60 million

I know those are very rough and preliminary estimates according to my feeling, so to speak. :) But check my prediction history, they almost always come true!

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

This prediction is pretty similar to the bet I made with curl-6.  The main difference is that we did a proportional amount for the end of 2023.  I didn't want to wait around til 2030 to get the grand total.

Prediction, OP belives next Nintendo console to sell much more than whatever Sony and Microsoft come up with.

Not sure if it's a prediction though, it's like history repeating itself with some people.

I predict 80m each for both consoles. 160m life time for both. That's due to the PC market growing and Cloud Streaming. Xbox Live and PS Now will start eating into console sales and more and more console games will cross to the PC.