By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your Least Favorite Nintendo Home Console?

Least Favorite Nintendo Home Console:

NES 8 10.13%

SNES 1 1.27%

N64 12 15.19%

Gamecube 13 16.46%

Wii 9 11.39%

Wii U 31 39.24%

Switch 5 6.33%

Total:79

What's your least favorite for y'all?

I know my opinion is probably unpopular, but my least favorite is the Wii. I didn't like how under powered it was compared to it's competitors, Ik the Switch & Wii U were also underpowered, but imo I still felt like the hardware and graphics held up well since they were in HD and the gap between PS4/Wii U/Switch wasn't as large as 360/Wii. The Wii felt quite outdated compared to the 360/PS3

However, my main problem with the Wii was the Wiimote, i hated playing games with it, the Wii had great games, but I felt like my experience with them was hindered by the Wiimote as I hated using it to play Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros tbh. Plus the Wii had way too much shovelware.

Around the Network

Hard to say really, since all of them were at least enjoyable. But if I had to name one, it would be the Wii.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Either NES or Gamecube.

The NES revolutionized gaming, but in my opinion its games have aged incredibly poorly and with a few special exceptions like Mario Bros 1-3 they're almost all unplayable today due to very cheap, messy, and frustrating design.

The Gamecube was an amazing piece of hardware, but its first party lineup is horribly disappointing by Nintendo standards, with franchises like Zelda, 3D Mario, and Starfox absolutely butchered. It showcases the very worst of Nintendo's tendency of trying to be different for the sake of being different and in turn messing up what wasn't broken. Still had a handful of truly great games, but overall it had fewer games worth playing than any other Nintendo console except NES.

Here's my personal ranking:
1.Gamecube
2.Switch
3.SNES
4.NES
5.N64
6.Wii U
7.Wii

Wii by a landslide

Around the Network

Having lived through every generation: Gamecube is the worst one, the Wii U was also fairly bad, and the N64 is the only other home console I can really say a lot of negative things about.

Problems with the Gamecube:
1. Uninspiring lineup - games had a smaller vision than either the N64 or Wii installments.
2. The kiddy image - while Nintendo had a kiddy image from the beginning, it was always questionable until the obnoxious marketing and presentation of the Gamecube came to light.
3. The controller forced some games to be cancelled (like Street Fighter) and others to have simplified controls with missing features (like SSX). Just try playing Super Mario World, DKC, or Street Fighter 2 on VC with a Gamecube controller, and see how terrible it is. They're basically unplayable
4. Droughts - the Gamecube was a dark age of unimportant games. Generic third party multiplats that were almost always more compelling to play on other consoles (I think Link being in Soul Caliber 2 was the only exception... too bad the controller sucked for that game making some characters virtually unplayable). But even with those, the number of games released by Gamecube was minimal at best with about 100 game releases on average per year (for comparison's sake, the Switch gets about 125 per month) with some months getting fewer than 5 games. And of these 100 games, only a very small percentage of them were of real interest (As far as I'm concerned Animal Crossing being the only one that comes to my mind for the entire generation). Basically, the vast majority of Nintendo fans stuck to handheld this generation because it was too depressing to watch almost every major gaming event of the generation unfold on PS2, and sometimes Xbox... but at least handheld had a lot going on, too. Meanwhile, Nintendo fans had to pretend games like Tales of Symphonia and Pikmin were a gigantic deal... which brings me to my next bit:
5. Overzelous fans overselling the importance/quality of games didn't help, it was mostly grating and embarrassing watching Nintendo fans become very cult-like in this time... over something that was kind of toy-like. These fans didn't want to admit its flaws and instead blamed everyone else except Nintendo for why it was doing poorly. It destroys the credibility of anyone who claims the likes of Mario Sunshine or Mario Kart Cube are the best games of the franchise. Celda was another one, which was slow and doubled down on some of the worst dungeon design from the N64 Zeldas, and while the game was much more animated, it was also unquestionably aimed at kids. Then there's Eternal Darkness, which Gamecube fans hailed as the greatest survival and horror game ever made - despite failing to implement it's "insanity" feature in any meaningful way (it was more of a gimmick) and having some of the worst balancing of any game seen since the early 8-bit era, it was atrocious. Essentially, Gamecube fans were/are so cult-like that they're still defending this turd until this very day and acting like the console wasn't a miserable failure.

While Wii U was a fairly miserable time to be a Nintendo fan, it was coming off the back of a highly successful period, whilst Gamecube was coming off the back of the N64, a console similarly plagued with droughts and missing out on the most compelling experiences of the generation. Nintendo's home console division actually made more money during the Wii U generation than the Gamecube generation - but overall, Nintendo's revenue downturn in their handheld division brought lower net income.

Anyway, overall, this is how I see each console:

NES - Roman Kingdom and Senate run Republic
SNES - Imperial court run Roman Empire
N64 - Late antiquity, general decline with flashes of brilliance
Gamecube - the dark ages, a poor mimicry of the PS2 with zero inspiration. PS2 was the much brighter Caliphate, and the Handheld industry was like the Byzantine Empire.
Wii - The revolution and Renaissance
Wii U - The betrayal of the revolution's values, and a sudden devolution back into a darker ancien regime. Kind of like the reign of Louis XVI or the depressing reign of Oliver Cromwell which at least was short
Switch - The Enlightenment and birth of the modern era, the beginning of a highly productive era for Nintendo, inspired by the Wii and values of its revolution.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Gamecube. I owe them all and I just know I've spent the least amount of time on there so I guess it's my worst.

Gamecube. Because of the game library alone. It didnt have many games that i personally like. Its the console Ive owned that Ive used the least.

Wii.

To me at the time, it had felt like Nin had given up. The fact that they clearly weren't worried about the specs that much gave me a poor impression. Now truthfully they hadn't exactly given up, but had decided to take a different approach to gaming, focusing way more on gaming interaction innovation instead of things like GPU flops. While that probably would have seemed acceptable to me otherwise, with the 360 and PS3 to compare it to, it felt like Nin had lost it's way. I was younger though and gaming is and was still based around a power narrative. I mean, Nin Power, right? With third party also fading away from Nin consoles, Wii was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

Switch was intriguing though, even if only a hybrid mobile type device, since it's a relatively powerful one at that for a fairly reasonable price. I can see Nin trying to find a balance between power and a blue ocean strategy now.

WiiU. While it had some fap worthy games and some interesting things like Miiverse. It just didn't have that final succ that would make me jizz all over it. That one game that truly made the console be memorable for me.

Like for me, The N64 had Ocarina of Time and Mario 64, the GC had Wind Waker and Melee, the Wii had Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade Chronicles. The wiiU had great games and XCX really was something but it never had that final stroke that would send it off flying for me. One could argue BoTW sure but I think that game is best played on the switch at your favourite hooker's house.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850