By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your Least Favorite Nintendo Home Console?

Least Favorite Nintendo Home Console:

NES 8 10.13%

SNES 1 1.27%

N64 12 15.19%

Gamecube 13 16.46%

Wii 9 11.39%

Wii U 31 39.24%

Switch 5 6.33%

Total:79

It has to be the GameCube
1. NES (Revolutionary with a big library of awesome games. Super Mario Bros trilogy, Mega Man games, Ninja Gaiden trilogy, Castlevania trilogy, Contra, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Battletoads, Kirby's Adventure....)

2. Switch (They really knocked it out of the park with this one. If it keeps the momentum and delivers a great Metroid and a few big new IPs, it could dethrone NES)

3. N64 (I get it has its shortcomings, in fact, it is only my 3rd favorite console of its generation. But man, does it have some masterpieces that set itself apart from the competition. Nintendo and Rare were at their prime during this era when it comes software).

4. SNES (Really great, doesn't have any major shortcomings. Strong support all around the board. But I cannot help,but feel it is a bit overrated. A lot of continued franchises from the NES, that didn't do much new, a lot even felt like a step back, Zelda, Mario, Castlevania, Contra etc).

5. Wii U (The droughts are unforgivable. But I got to give it credit for having some damn solid games as well, a lot of them even being the definitive additions to their franchises. Super Mario 3D World is so underrated, it might be my favorite in the series, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is in the same league, then there is Pikmin 3 and the mighty Breath of the Wild. Just wish it had more. I really dig the gamepad as well!)

6. Wii (It does have a bunch of awesome games, but it just feels too gimmicky with that controller a lot of the times. I would rather just have a normal controller, Skyward Sword did win me over though, I can't imagine that with a regular controller. Great game. The hardware sucks, it's just a Gamecube, it doesn't even have HDMI! The Wii U at least had a somewhat powerful GPU).

7. Gamcube (I can't think of a time where Nintendo was so irrelevant in the world of videogames. Just one disappointment after the other from Nintendo's first parties, with few exceptions. Sure it had third party support, but usually a weak version, with PS2 level graphics, lacking features, and the worst controlles. I fucking hate the Gamecube controllr. I would rather play with the Wiimote!)

Last edited by Vinther1991 - on 26 June 2020

Around the Network

WiiU by far for me, and it's not like it doesn't have some great games... some really great games in fact: BOTW, MK8, SM3DW and DKTF among the best. But the console was such a dud with no software that showed that Nintendo had some kind of vision in mind with this system, leading to an overly expensive price for under-powered hardware with an identity crisis.

Toss up between the Wii and the WiiU. One had a lot of shovelware and the other has almost completely been phased out if the VC has nothing to offer for you. I think Xenoblade X and 3D world are the only big games left that have not either had sequels with more features on Switch, or a port of some sort.

Last edited by Shiken - on 26 June 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I hate nintendo Wii

I hated Wii too. I never got one myself, but my uncle had one and I just dislike the motion controls and their ""casual"" stuff like Wii Sports

The games also looked as underpowered as the games on my PS2. My reaction for it was "meh"

I was shocked to find out years later how sucessful it was, I'd never thought lmao

Around the Network

Nostalgia aside, hands down the Switch. It pretty much combines all great features of my previous favourite consoles; The only thing that is missing is dual-screen support but everything considered, it's a small price to pay for the pure awesomeness of this system. All it really needs right now is just more classic games to be ported on it, and I'm pretty sure, those (at least the majority of the most important ones) will eventually come.

Kristof81 said:
Nostalgia aside, hands down the Switch. It pretty much combines all great features of my previous favourite consoles; The only thing that is missing is dual-screen support but everything considered, it's a small price to pay for the pure awesomeness of this system. All it really needs right now is just more classic games to be ported on it, and I'm pretty sure, those (at least the majority of the most important ones) will eventually come.

I guess you misunderstand the thread  

The Wii U by a mile. People rate the Wii U too highly right now because of recency bias. But there never was a slower, more boring and barren system than the Wii U: The console only had a handful of good games, most titles were very niche but have been hyped up due to the lack of alternatives on the system. Game&Wario was worse than previous Wario Ware games, Mario 3D World was worse than Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. U felt stale after the onslaught of NSMB titles, Nintendoland doesn't hold a candle to Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit U was almost the same as the Wii game, Starfox Zero is the worst Starfox game in existence, Tokyo Mirage Sessions certainly didn't captivate as many players as a proper Fire Emblem would have and Wonderful 101 just has no market appal outside of the hardcore gaming crowd. 

Add to that the fact that the hardware was atrocious and you have Nintendo's worst home console by far. And I don't mean the CPU power, I'm talking about the slow system, menus and downloads. And the gamepad, of course... the most unnecessary, needlessly bulky and overstuffed controller created in the history of mankind, which not even Nintendo themselves found a proper use for in most titles.

The Gamecube comes in second, but there's a clear distinction between the first two years of the system and the latter half. At first, the Gamecube looked promising. It had many good first party titles like Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness and so on. And decent third party games like Rogue Squadron II, Sonic Adventure 2, Resident Evil Remake and Zero and Need for Speed Underground. But after the first two years, support for the system just dropped and dropped and 2005-2006 was a barren wasteland of releases.

Overall, the Gamecube definitely has the edge over the Wii U. The Gamecube's hardware was better designed, the controller was superior to the Gamepad, the console had more first and third party games and while a lot of titles were a step back from their N64 counterparts in many ways, they were still of solid quality, which really can't be said for Devil's Third, Mario Tennis and that Animal Crossing spin-off. The Wii U didn't even have its own Zelda game prior to the Switches launch and two of its most highly rated games, Twilight Princess HD and Wind Waker HD, are Gamecube remakes.

All in all, he Gamecube deserved its low 21m sales. But the Wii U deserved its even lower 13m sales just as much.

A contest between Wii U and N64. Wii U had Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2, N64 had Paper Mario and Pokemon Snap...Wii U is the worse one here.

Wii u, No third support like most Nintendo consoles, but even worse