By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best looking Nintendo console (Design)

I choose...

NES 6 6.12%

Super NES 8 8.16%

Nintendo 64 5 5.10%

Gamecube 24 24.49%

Wii 23 23.47%

Wii U 2 2.04%

Switch 30 30.61%

Total:98

Wii is beautiful, but I'm sticking with Switch, what an awesome design

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
I voted for the gamecube, but the wii is a close second.
I love the fact that both can fit in a small backpack thus were easily to take along to school and fit on the computers there or bring em along to friends

Yeah same here. Even the Wii U console looks pretty sharp. I set mine up recently and the black looks really nice.

For the portables, I would say the Switch for sure, it is just so slick and clean, that color scheme is already iconic and the logo is amazing as well. (I also really like the dock)
For home console, i think the Wii U (not the gamepad). It is so smooth and well proportionate. I love the curves which makes it look less rough than the Wii.

Honorable mention to the GC which is just easy branding and iconic as well and the SNES which aged really well.

This is the one time I probably wouldn't consider the Switch a console, unless you are referring to how it looks in its dock.

On topic, I'd go with the Wii U. I think it looks pretty slick. Like the Wii, but I prefer the rounded design. And... it's not like the Wii U is gonna get praise for much else... so why not let it have this one?

Probably the Switch or the Gamecube

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
This is the one time I probably wouldn't consider the Switch a console, unless you are referring to how it looks in its dock.

On topic, I'd go with the Wii U. I think it looks pretty slick. Like the Wii, but I prefer the rounded design. And... it's not like the Wii U is gonna get praise for much else... so why not let it have this one?

I do like the Wii U's design yea, although it might be a case of actually looking a little too sleek. Iirc, it's so thin laying down that it basically looks like an overly big external hard drive someone just left laying on a shelf. 

My ranking:
1. Wii (sleek and sexy, and that blue lighting is iconic. This console was masterfully designed. And the Wiimotes are beautiful, best looking controller created even to this day... it’s a damn good thing the pro controller or classic controller isn’t included, because they’re kind of ugly =P).
2. Switch (falls short of the Wii, I like how Nintendo returned to a sleeker design, but it lacks the lighting and some other elements of the Wii I liked, I love the look of the joycons, but they’re not quite as slick as the Wii remotes: best are the NES looking ones - in home console mode, it does look better than handheld console mode, IMO, even though I mainly use it in handheld mode).
3. SNES (The real version, not the weird looking American one; it’s an iconic look, but IMO the controller, while more usable, is not as pretty as the NES controller)
4. Wii U (It’s a disappointing look relative to the Wii before it and the Switch after it, but it’s not actually that bad of a design. The Gamepad only looks fugly when seen from the side, but top down it’s a nice looking controller.)
4. N64 (The translucent green one was the best version, it looked edible, one of the ugliest controllers, though... but not the ugliest)
4. NES (It could have been improved SO much by just making the thing slimmer. Despite all of that, IMO, the controllers are the nicest looking outside the Wiimotes and Joycons, and I like the black and the grey... I almost put this one down to 6th though, because from the side the console is ugly, from the top it’s not, when you just can’t tell how far it actually is.)
7. GameCube (aside from looking like a kindergarten lunchbox from 1987, it has the undisputed ugliest controllers in Nintendo’s history, it looks like something from Fisher Price - it’s lucky that the Xbox came out with a similarly hideous one—but for a different reason.)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

My faves are the Switch and the Wii in that order.

Even though it's design ultimately hurt the system I have to go with the Gamecube. Just loved how different its cube design was and the purple colour scheme complemented it perfectly. Sadly everyone else wanted to go with the "cool" black designs of the PS2 and Xbox and wrote off the gamecube as being geeky and childlike.

The Panasonic Q, a special version of the Gamecube. Too bad it never released here. But the Gamecube in general wins the design category.

The European/Japanese Super Nintendo/Super Famicom is next in line. The US version however looks atrocious in my opinion.

Third spot goes to the... Wii U. I love it's sleek design and rounded edges and from a pure design standpoint, the Gamepad also looks sleek and nice.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 June 2020