By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (SPOILER ALERT) Free discussion of TLOU2 with story included

Tagged games:

How do you rate TLOU2 story

1 8 14.55%

2 1 1.82%

3 5 9.09%

4 3 5.45%

5 5 9.09%

6 7 12.73%

7 4 7.27%

8 4 7.27%

9 7 12.73%

10 11 20.00%

Total:55
chakkra said:
sales2099 said:

Then you fell for the narrative tricks ND did. You make Ellie do certain things when you play as her. Now compare to what you do as Abby when you played as her. It comes across very one sided. ND wants you to like her despite her past. 

(was this vague enough not to do a spoiler tag? I hope so) 

I guess that is one way to put it. ND tried to do something different here by showing that there are always two sides to each story, but apparently they didn't pull it off quite well, judging by people's reactions.

You know, it always bothered me (and disturbed me) the fact that so many people were not only okay with what Joel did at the end of Part I, but kept seeing him as a "hero" after that. So I suspect ND's plan this time around was to see how far they could take Ellie before people realize that there is something wrong with these characters.

Not a hero but most will relate with not allowing a dear one be killed and doing whatever it takes to ensure that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
chakkra said:
sales2099 said:

Then you fell for the narrative tricks ND did. You make Ellie do certain things when you play as her. Now compare to what you do as Abby when you played as her. It comes across very one sided. ND wants you to like her despite her past. 

(was this vague enough not to do a spoiler tag? I hope so) 

I guess that is one way to put it. ND tried to do something different here by showing that there are always two sides to each story, but apparently they didn't pull it off quite well, judging by people's reactions.

You know, it always bothered me (and disturbed me) the fact that so many people were not only okay with what Joel did at the end of Part I, but kept seeing him as a "hero" after that. So I suspect ND's plan this time around was to see how far they could take Ellie before people realize that there is something wrong with these characters.

Well I personally didn’t agree with Joel’s decision in part one. Needs of the many matter more and she wasn’t his actual daughter. But I get it, he was motivated by love. Abby, is not motivated by love when she does what she does. And that is why people do not like her, or at least in part. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DonFerrari said:
chakkra said:

Not a hero but most will relate with not allowing a dear one be killed and doing whatever it takes to ensure that.

Again, "two sides of the same story." For some reason is easy for people to relate with "not allowing a dear one be killed and doing whatever it takes to ensure that," but are not able to relate to having your father taken away from you while he was just trying to do something good for the world.

I'm seeing all those spoiler boxes here and feeling so left out cause I can't discuss. Can't wait to get my hands on the game.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

And this video sums up exactly what I thought about the game's story. It's exactly what I wanted to have instead of this bullshit half baked revenge story that completely fucking wastes everyone's time. The essentials for a following up on the first game were clearly their.

Spoiler!
Honestly, I was actually giving a pass to Joel's dumb ass behavior here that actually got him killed. Years of survival instincts had help him to survive for more than 2 decades. And then he does this one convenient careless shit that gets him killed. He was able to tell an ambush in TLOU1 while he walks into this one like he's asking for it?

I understand that he may have changed throughout the years, but this complete trust in total strangers without any caution at all was just baffling. The same shit applies to Tommy as well. I refuse to believe that Jackson never gets raided by bandits just like in TLOU1. Him just freely inviting them was actually pretty fucking stupid.

I also cannot fucking stress why it was so frustrating to see the message in TLOU1's ending just to be forgotten like that and not really carry on in TLOU2.
Last edited by iron_megalith - on 23 June 2020

Around the Network
chakkra said:
DonFerrari said:

Again, "two sides of the same story." For some reason is easy for people to relate with "not allowing a dear one be killed and doing whatever it takes to ensure that," but are not able to relate to having your father taken away from you while he was just trying to do something good for the world.

I perfectly understand the other side. On the case of the first game the problem would be it only showed one side.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KLXVER said:
Just beat the game and I couldnt find a single thing about some SJW agenda. Just a great story(Gave it a 10 by btw), very fun gameplay and jaw droppingly beautiful graphics.

Can someone explain to me what the controversy is about? Did I miss something?

Joel being killed off when he was half the heart and soul of this series. The other half being Ellie.

I seriously think a better direction for this series would have been Abby seeking vengeance and Joel/Ellie having to fight her and her cohorts: another go for two longtime fan favorites. Abby's existence would have presented an inconvenience for Joel and his lie as well.

KLAMarine said:
KLXVER said:
Just beat the game and I couldnt find a single thing about some SJW agenda. Just a great story(Gave it a 10 by btw), very fun gameplay and jaw droppingly beautiful graphics.

Can someone explain to me what the controversy is about? Did I miss something?

Joel being killed off when he was half the heart and soul of this series. The other half being Ellie.

I seriously think a better direction for this series would have been Abby seeking vengeance and Joel/Ellie having to fight her and her cohorts: another go for two longtime fan favorites. Abby's existence would have presented an inconvenience for Joel and his lie as well.

His story pretty much ended in the first game I feel. He had a great character arc. I know people love him, I do as well, but I really didnt need another Joel and Ellie adventure. Just my opinion.

KLXVER said:
KLAMarine said:

His story pretty much ended in the first game I feel. He had a great character arc. I know people love him, I do as well, but I really didnt need another Joel and Ellie adventure. Just my opinion.

I disagree on that. He needed a proper send off but the way things happened was just terribly out of place and happened too soon. The flash backs in TLOU2 showed that there were still some things that could have been explored. Those scenes should have been the core of TLOU2. Ellie and Joel growing distant as a setup for the events that we have in the current story.

I would argue that TLOU2's current story may have worked if it was used for as the third finale to seal the whole thing. Granted that the characters that we have right are more fleshed out than what we currently have.

iron_megalith said:
KLXVER said:

I disagree on that. He needed a proper send off but the way things happened was just terribly out of place and happened too soon. The flash backs in TLOU2 showed that there were still some things that could have been explored. Those scenes should have been the core of TLOU2. Ellie and Joel growing distant as a setup for the events that we have in the current story.

I would argue that TLOU2's current story may have worked if it was used for as the third finale to seal the whole thing. Granted that the characters that we have right are more fleshed out than what we currently have.

Well agree to disagree. I was kinda getting sick of them talking about what happened in this game. A whole game based around them arguing about that point would just annoy me too much. Also he got a pretty good send off imo. Through the flashbacks. I guess he could have died while saving the one he loves like 95% of heroes do, but Im glad we got something else. It just shows how cruel this world is and that anything can happen at any moment. Made it more tense I feel.