By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (SPOILER ALERT) Free discussion of TLOU2 with story included

Tagged games:

 

How do you rate TLOU2 story

1 8 14.55%
 
2 1 1.82%
 
3 5 9.09%
 
4 3 5.45%
 
5 5 9.09%
 
6 7 12.73%
 
7 4 7.27%
 
8 4 7.27%
 
9 7 12.73%
 
10 11 20.00%
 
Total:55
Jaicee said:

I just finished my third playthrough of The Last of Us Part II and would like to revise some of my earlier remarks about the game's ending because it struck me a bit differently this time around. Guess the third time really is the charm because only this time around did my brain combine certain details I'd noticed into a whole that forms a new picture.

I'm now starting to think like...maybe there is a sort of happy ending in a sense here for Ellie to be inferred actually. Think about these elements:

-At the farmhouse, there's a letter from Jesse's mom saying Ellie and Dina will always have a place in Jackson if they choose to return.
-When Ellie leaves Dina and J.J. to fight Abby, she's not wearing the bracelet Dina gave her.
-When Ellie returns to the farmhouse after fighting Abby, she's wearing the aforementioned bracelet. And has no noticeable injuries (besides her missing fingers, obviously). And doesn't seem surprised by Dina's absence.

I noticed all those things before, but I thought of them as separate, largely unrelated beats. When I played through this time, all those things came together in my mind to form a new picture. The part about Ellie being healed from her injuries is what drives this home for me. That implies the passage of some time since her fight with Abby. She didn't just return from that. It makes sense in this context that she wouldn't be surprised by Dina's absence if it's been some time since the fight, but where has she been all this time? Has she been living there at the farmhouse by herself...and yet only just now thought about picking up Joel's guitar and is wearing the bracelet Dina gave her for similar nostalgic reasons? Maybe! Something like that is how I read it on my first playthrough. BUT...why is she coming BACK TO the farmhouse? Where is coming BACK TO the farmhouse from if she lives there? See what I'm saying?

Possible implication: she lives in Jackson now, with Dina! Hence why she's wearing the bracelet! That also explains where she's going when she leaves in the last scene. She visited the farmhouse again to pick up Joel's guitar in another moment of personal weakness, but she's unable to play it because she's lost her fingers in the second fight with Abby. This forces her to come to grips with the irony of her actions: in her ambition to avenge Joel, she lost even the memory of him in a sense. More pointedly though, this moment forces her to reckon with the fact that she has to let go. That's what she's been unable to do up to this point. And so she finally does...but not in the abject despair I thought before! She has a life now! It's back in Jackson where she lives now with Dina and is returning to. There's real hope here for Ellie being implied, I now think! That hope just isn't made the focus of celebration in the narrative, so I didn't notice it before. Maybe this isn't supposed to be just a totally sad ending, in other words; just mellow in tone. That gives me more to think about. 

Very good perception for those small details.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
KratosLives said:
i'm having a hard time trying to play through the first game, after played through the second.

Must be jarring to see that Joel is in fact an expert survivalist.

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm genuinely curious why you're having a hard time with the 1st game. Even if I don't pretend TLOU2 is just fanfiction, it doesn't really ruin the 1st game. It lessens the ending, as it turns out Ellie was actually stupid and didn't piece together what Joel did, but at least it didn't make the game's events meaningless like what happened to Star Wars.

For me it makes the first one harder to play because I already didn't like the gameplay on the first time and now that TLOU2 is much better at that than the first I wouldn't want to go play the first again.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lonely_Dolphin said:
KratosLives said:
i'm having a hard time trying to play through the first game, after played through the second.

Must be jarring to see that Joel is in fact an expert survivalist.

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm genuinely curious why you're having a hard time with the 1st game. Even if I don't pretend TLOU2 is just fanfiction, it doesn't really ruin the 1st game. It lessens the ending, as it turns out Ellie was actually stupid and didn't piece together what Joel did, but at least it didn't make the game's events meaningless like what happened to Star Wars.

>Must be jarring to see that Joel is in fact an expert survivalist.

A real expert survivalist would have handled the horde of infected with his fists.  



the-pi-guy said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Must be jarring to see that Joel is in fact an expert survivalist.

Sorry couldn't resist. I'm genuinely curious why you're having a hard time with the 1st game. Even if I don't pretend TLOU2 is just fanfiction, it doesn't really ruin the 1st game. It lessens the ending, as it turns out Ellie was actually stupid and didn't piece together what Joel did, but at least it didn't make the game's events meaningless like what happened to Star Wars.

>Must be jarring to see that Joel is in fact an expert survivalist.

A real expert survivalist would have handled the horde of infected with his fists.  

Abby should be immune right?



DonFerrari said:

For me it makes the first one harder to play because I already didn't like the gameplay on the first time and now that TLOU2 is much better at that than the first I wouldn't want to go play the first again.

That's fair, I'm not a big fan of the gameplay either, definitely the story characters and world that kept me playing.



Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
DonFerrari said:

For me it makes the first one harder to play because I already didn't like the gameplay on the first time and now that TLOU2 is much better at that than the first I wouldn't want to go play the first again.

That's fair, I'm not a big fan of the gameplay either, definitely the story characters and world that kept me playing.

True, the world in TLOU2 is much prettier and more accomplished due to the technical advancement while the story is not as good because it lost the impact and for me Joel journey as a father was more meaningfull than Ellie as avenger.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Finished the game last night. While I didn't hate it I just got really bored with it in some parts. The walking simulator sections are more frequent and tedious than the first game, maybe it didn't help that this time i just didn't care about the new characters or their motivations even when 50% of the game is the writers trying to get you to like Abby and her friends. By the last third of the game I just wanted the whole thing to end already and stopped looking for collectibles and supplies because that too got tedious as fuck.

When it comes to the story for me it also kinda sucked. The only part where it really struck me was when they killed Joel but even then I knew he somewhat deserved it. The whole thing seemed like an exercise of futility because the revenge theme can be easily applied to pretty much any people in this universe, will Tlou part 3 be about the mother of one of the rattlers trying to get revenge on Ellie? And the message will be that seeking revenge at any cost causes more harm than good? As if we don't know that already. At least in the first game Joel and Ellie had the special flair of she being some sort of last hope for humanity and he being the guy that had to protect her motivated by different emotions.

I don't know... while I played the first game on ps3 and even got the platinum on ps4 I don't see myself playing this one again, at least not in the near future. But that is mostly due to how boring I found this game and how much more boring it would be now that I know everything that happens.



RobDX said:
Finished the game last night. While I didn't hate it I just got really bored with it in some parts. The walking simulator sections are more frequent and tedious than the first game, maybe it didn't help that this time i just didn't care about the new characters or their motivations even when 50% of the game is the writers trying to get you to like Abby and her friends. By the last third of the game I just wanted the whole thing to end already and stopped looking for collectibles and supplies because that too got tedious as fuck.

When it comes to the story for me it also kinda sucked. The only part where it really struck me was when they killed Joel but even then I knew he somewhat deserved it. The whole thing seemed like an exercise of futility because the revenge theme can be easily applied to pretty much any people in this universe, will Tlou part 3 be about the mother of one of the rattlers trying to get revenge on Ellie? And the message will be that seeking revenge at any cost causes more harm than good? As if we don't know that already. At least in the first game Joel and Ellie had the special flair of she being some sort of last hope for humanity and he being the guy that had to protect her motivated by different emotions.

I don't know... while I played the first game on ps3 and even got the platinum on ps4 I don't see myself playing this one again, at least not in the near future. But that is mostly due to how boring I found this game and how much more boring it would be now that I know everything that happens.

I hope they don't make a third even more as I didn't even want they made 2, for me the first was great as a single entry.

But tell me the run from the island with Abby and everything in flames wasn't something to contemplate?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Full disclosure: I've completed the game last week and I was trying to gather my thoughts. I hadn't read the leaks and I pre-ordered this game last year. I've bought the special edition. I'm no leak hater, Youtube watcher.

I give this game a 3/5 stars. I don't recommend this game. I believe it's the ugliest game I've ever played. A torture porn, miserable, hopeless, soapy and purposeless adventure where nothing good came out of and all the characters got destroyed. It also has great moments and it is a software marvel.

The first game was beautiful. A tragedy, but beautiful. A man who finds a new daughter and a girl that was a salvation object that finds a family. It was a simple tale and for that it was a masterpiece. The second one feels complicated, too long, a bit convoluted (a reordering would help) and worst of all, it destroys everything we know to replace with something new that sometimes feels forced.

As a technical piece, it's marvellous. The sound is spectacular and the graphics are more detailed than anything else I've played. The acting is also superb as well as directing, photography and camera work. The battle system is very good, although it gets repetitive (it's a long game). All this put together a game that feels more immersive than anything else out there. I'd say that this game is the true definition of what immersive means and for all that I give the 3 stars. The team deserves the kudos.

But the story doesn't work well as the first one. The first bad impression was the teenager feel. The first game was more adult as the intended audience would supposedly enjoy. This one is romantic: kisses, smiles, sex, guitar songs, and, guess what, love triangles. And the writing on this is kinda on the cheesy soapy side. On Abby part I get to have two "date" sections. The first one was long enough. The second was on Christmas. Both sections could've been shorter cut scenes instead.

The love triangle is on both sides: Abby and Ellie. Actually, they're both like the same thing on everything:

Ellie fancies someone who has involved with another one. Abby too.

Ellie has a pregnant friend who is involved in the same love triangle. Abby too.

Ellie's pregnant friend was impregnated by the love triangle guy. Abby too.

Ellie's is not very romantic, she's not the "I love you" kind. Abby too.

Ellie's a bit sarcastic, acid, has that teasing way to interact. Abby too.

Ellie's only think about the mission, no shenanigans. Abby too.

Ellie's not the kind who follow orders. Abby too.

As much as we can say that there's a purpose on those similarities, it's hard for me to see this as credible. What are the odds that someone so like myself comes for my father? Even their voices sound quite the same when they scream.

This game has much more characters than the first one, but you play alone a lot. I miss the interactions between Ellie and Joel. That's nothing like that in this game. It's too moody all the time, too lonely. Plus, the new characters are not very well developed anyway. It feels rushed, too much complexities and things that the audience is supposed to be "smart to get". With the benefits of a way more powerful console than PS3, I was expecting more group activities, but instead, it's just lonely revenge.

And that's a lot of revenge. Everyone knew that it was a revenge game. But I thought the revenge would be just the start of something greater. But it's just revenge after revenge, after more revenge. And it's a long revenge game and the battle system can't support that. At the start on Ellie's part, I could feel the battling evolving and trying out things during confront were getting enjoyable. But by the time I got to going upstairs the building with Lev, I was getting very tired of doing the same thing again and again. The multi floor stages were a nice addition, but in the end, the gameplay feels like the first game but longer.

Abby part was the longest part for me. When we changed from Ellie, I thought I'd have to play with Abby just for a couple of hours to understand a few things. So I wasn't into Abby and I rushed it. But it never ended. It took a while to get that Abby was like the other half of the game. More than that: Abby was the new protagonist and Ellie the mad woman boss.

Abby part also brings unbelievable things. A bridge like that between two buildings? That was impossible and kinda ridiculous. I know that the same can be said about zombies, but no way people would get to the idea of crossing that with all that bad weather (or even in good weather). The Seraphites are also a bit ridiculous. It's hard to believe that would be a community so cruel like that. Crushing kids arms like nothing? A mother that would kill his own children for some sort of new faith. And the trans person victim of the only (im)possible religious community in the game (I'm sorry, but that has to be political). We can say there are all sorts of diversity, including the darker skin drunk "Latino" that doesn't take anything serious (how can it get more stereotypical?), but no normal people of faith. Except the one guy that once mentions "Lord", but, guess what?, he's dead. In all the diversity and multiple groups everyone has its own reasons, only one group is inherently evil: the religious community persecutors of trans people.

Characters that survived are all destroyed. Tommy lost family, eye. Ellie lost family, fingers. Abby, well, at least she might've got to the fireflies, but after losing everything. Lev lost mad religious mum and sister. Do we get to see Jackson again? "No", that would be too "happy moment" right?

There are lots of extraordinary theories about this game and I kinda of admit that many make sense and gives this game a sense of intelligence, but still, it's hard to get over the Joel killed like a pig, Ellie turned into the game mad boss, and Tommy into an absurd senseless dick. This was made to shock the audience, to polarise, to be polemic. It's too much attention grabbing. The good simple tale of The Last of Us is gone.

I will not mention the f-words that even kids get to shout or hear. The drug usage. The unnecessary sex. Maybe there I get to be too moralistic and naive. I just think that stories can be good without all that. The first one was great without that. We don't need to go the Hollywood crappy TV way.

Without the technical marvel that this game delivers, I could give it a 1/5 stars. It's a too long too painful 30 hours. Ugly, brutal, tiresome. I begged for it to end at the farm, but how about adding some slavery and crucifixion like stuff? Wow. How couldn't I see that coming?

Can we also cut Abbys right arm off and have the player remove her eyes with a table spoon by pressing triangle before she get to the island? I can see some member of ND team making that question before the final cut.

But at least, I can't wait to see the Naught Dog engine being deployed in the future. This game visuals alone is a better presentation of PS5 than the real PS5 games. The craftsmanship is something else and that's the only good thing I'll take from this game.



God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?


0D0 said:

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Full disclosure: I've completed the game last week and I was trying to gather my thoughts. I hadn't read the leaks and I pre-ordered this game last year. I've bought the special edition. I'm no leak hater, Youtube watcher.

I give this game a 3/5 stars. I don't recommend this game. I believe it's the ugliest game I've ever played. A torture porn, miserable, hopeless, soapy and purposeless adventure where nothing good came out of and all the characters got destroyed. It also has great moments and it is a software marvel.

The first game was beautiful. A tragedy, but beautiful. A man who finds a new daughter and a girl that was a salvation object that finds a family. It was a simple tale and for that it was a masterpiece. The second one feels complicated, too long, a bit convoluted (a reordering would help) and worst of all, it destroys everything we know to replace with something new that sometimes feels forced.

As a technical piece, it's marvellous. The sound is spectacular and the graphics are more detailed than anything else I've played. The acting is also superb as well as directing, photography and camera work. The battle system is very good, although it gets repetitive (it's a long game). All this put together a game that feels more immersive than anything else out there. I'd say that this game is the true definition of what immersive means and for all that I give the 3 stars. The team deserves the kudos.

But the story doesn't work well as the first one. The first bad impression was the teenager feel. The first game was more adult as the intended audience would supposedly enjoy. This one is romantic: kisses, smiles, sex, guitar songs, and, guess what, love triangles. And the writing on this is kinda on the cheesy soapy side. On Abby part I get to have two "date" sections. The first one was long enough. The second was on Christmas. Both sections could've been shorter cut scenes instead.

The love triangle is on both sides: Abby and Ellie. Actually, they're both like the same thing on everything:

Ellie fancies someone who has involved with another one. Abby too.

Ellie has a pregnant friend who is involved in the same love triangle. Abby too.

Ellie's pregnant friend was impregnated by the love triangle guy. Abby too.

Ellie's is not very romantic, she's not the "I love you" kind. Abby too.

Ellie's a bit sarcastic, acid, has that teasing way to interact. Abby too.

Ellie's only think about the mission, no shenanigans. Abby too.

Ellie's not the kind who follow orders. Abby too.

As much as we can say that there's a purpose on those similarities, it's hard for me to see this as credible. What are the odds that someone so like myself comes for my father? Even their voices sound quite the same when they scream.

This game has much more characters than the first one, but you play alone a lot. I miss the interactions between Ellie and Joel. That's nothing like that in this game. It's too moody all the time, too lonely. Plus, the new characters are not very well developed anyway. It feels rushed, too much complexities and things that the audience is supposed to be "smart to get". With the benefits of a way more powerful console than PS3, I was expecting more group activities, but instead, it's just lonely revenge.

And that's a lot of revenge. Everyone knew that it was a revenge game. But I thought the revenge would be just the start of something greater. But it's just revenge after revenge, after more revenge. And it's a long revenge game and the battle system can't support that. At the start on Ellie's part, I could feel the battling evolving and trying out things during confront were getting enjoyable. But by the time I got to going upstairs the building with Lev, I was getting very tired of doing the same thing again and again. The multi floor stages were a nice addition, but in the end, the gameplay feels like the first game but longer.

Abby part was the longest part for me. When we changed from Ellie, I thought I'd have to play with Abby just for a couple of hours to understand a few things. So I wasn't into Abby and I rushed it. But it never ended. It took a while to get that Abby was like the other half of the game. More than that: Abby was the new protagonist and Ellie the mad woman boss.

Abby part also brings unbelievable things. A bridge like that between two buildings? That was impossible and kinda ridiculous. I know that the same can be said about zombies, but no way people would get to the idea of crossing that with all that bad weather (or even in good weather). The Seraphites are also a bit ridiculous. It's hard to believe that would be a community so cruel like that. Crushing kids arms like nothing? A mother that would kill his own children for some sort of new faith. And the trans person victim of the only (im)possible religious community in the game (I'm sorry, but that has to be political). We can say there are all sorts of diversity, including the darker skin drunk "Latino" that doesn't take anything serious (how can it get more stereotypical?), but no normal people of faith. Except the one guy that once mentions "Lord", but, guess what?, he's dead. In all the diversity and multiple groups everyone has its own reasons, only one group is inherently evil: the religious community persecutors of trans people.

Characters that survived are all destroyed. Tommy lost family, eye. Ellie lost family, fingers. Abby, well, at least she might've got to the fireflies, but after losing everything. Lev lost mad religious mum and sister. Do we get to see Jackson again? "No", that would be too "happy moment" right?

There are lots of extraordinary theories about this game and I kinda of admit that many make sense and gives this game a sense of intelligence, but still, it's hard to get over the Joel killed like a pig, Ellie turned into the game mad boss, and Tommy into an absurd senseless dick. This was made to shock the audience, to polarise, to be polemic. It's too much attention grabbing. The good simple tale of The Last of Us is gone.

I will not mention the f-words that even kids get to shout or hear. The drug usage. The unnecessary sex. Maybe there I get to be too moralistic and naive. I just think that stories can be good without all that. The first one was great without that. We don't need to go the Hollywood crappy TV way.

Without the technical marvel that this game delivers, I could give it a 1/5 stars. It's a too long too painful 30 hours. Ugly, brutal, tiresome. I begged for it to end at the farm, but how about adding some slavery and crucifixion like stuff? Wow. How couldn't I see that coming?

Can we also cut Abbys right arm off and have the player remove her eyes with a table spoon by pressing triangle before she get to the island? I can see some member of ND team making that question before the final cut.

But at least, I can't wait to see the Naught Dog engine being deployed in the future. This game visuals alone is a better presentation of PS5 than the real PS5 games. The craftsmanship is something else and that's the only good thing I'll take from this game.

Yep. I mean, the game is still good (sometimes great) but.. yeah...