By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (SPOILER ALERT) Free discussion of TLOU2 with story included

Tagged games:

How do you rate TLOU2 story

1 8 14.55%

2 1 1.82%

3 5 9.09%

4 3 5.45%

5 5 9.09%

6 7 12.73%

7 4 7.27%

8 4 7.27%

9 7 12.73%

10 11 20.00%

Total:55
Spoiler!
Spoiler text.Let's talk ending here, past end credits. What do you think of the demise of abby and Lev? we know she arrives to catalina island and docks there. However i recall during the beach chapter, when you enter some room, you see a map of the nearby island/places. Now i can't recall if the dome like building that the "firefly" guy mentioned over the call, was present on that map. If it was, then those rattlers" who ran that place, might then also be running that area in catalina island.  Maybe a dlc in the future shows us what abby/lev got up to, if they survived the island, if it was fireflies or if they were fooled by the "rattlers" .

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

Has anyone noticed that the sales of this game and those of Animal Crossing: New Horizons seem to be inversely related week-to-week, based on the evidence we have so far? That tells me those two games have strongly overlapping consumer bases. I find that amusing considering how aesthetically opposite the two games are. (Also, I might be part of that overlapping consumer base. They complete each other!)

I think there isn't much overlap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KratosLives said:
Spoiler!
Spoiler text.Let's talk ending here, past end credits. What do you think of the demise of abby and Lev? we know she arrives to catalina island and docks there. However i recall during the beach chapter, when you enter some room, you see a map of the nearby island/places. Now i can't recall if the dome like building that the "firefly" guy mentioned over the call, was present on that map. If it was, then those rattlers" who ran that place, might then also be running that area in catalina island.  Maybe a dlc in the future shows us what abby/lev got up to, if they survived the island, if it was fireflies or if they were fooled by the "rattlers" .

I think you are reading way too much into into it. The title screen pretty much dictates what happened to them. Kurt Margenau (co director of the game) said this when they were talking to PressStart -

Spoiler!

“That’s actually a very common question [whether Abby fell for a ruse by the Rattlers],” Kurt began. “Did you beat the game and see the new screen? An eagle-eyed viewer would note that it is actually Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles, where the Firefly camp is meant to be.”

and then continues ...

“The fact that they ask Abby on the radio about who operated the Firefly base and she answers that it was her dad, for us that was the validation of that,” he explained. “It shows they’re more cautious of her and were testing her legitimacy as a Firefly. But, as I said, it’s a common question, and it’s unfortunate because it’s meant to be a hopeful beat.” 

Its like a callback from the first game. The imagery shown at the end shows sign of hope and new start. Possibly a new beginning for that should ND continue the story.

This game feels like it was a send off to both Joel and Ellie, both concluding their stories.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 June 2020

This game feels like it was a send off to both Joel and Ellie, both concluding their stories.

I hope so. Dont mind more TLOU but bring new characters to the game. Wouldn't mind a new country as well. Lets see what's happening outside the US. Would be cool to traverse the Eiffel tower or something like that.

That would be an interesting idea. Maybe start at another time with a new protagonist a decade in. Would be a good way to introduce completely new environments and even enemies; as the virus could have wildly different strains.

I wouldn't mind if the story was a bit more upbeat as well.

But yeah I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel. The game and series has done so well so far.

Around the Network
hinch said:

That would be an interesting idea. Maybe start at another time with a new protagonist a decade in. Would be a good way to introduce completely new environments and even enemies; as the virus could have wildly different strains.

I wouldn't mind if the story was a bit more upbeat as well.

But yeah I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel. The game and series has done so well so far.

Ellie did mention that she thought that perhaps the humidity of Seattle created a different strands of the virus. So yep different locations could have new infecteds.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Full spoilers ahead, so be warned. I think anyone in this thread probably doesn't care, but a warning never hurt anyone!

Finally finished the game. I definitely did like it, but I'm torn on the ending. While I think Ellie did the right thing in letting Abby live (as I was desperately hoping that she would to the point that I failled the QTE the first time), I can't help feeling that the ending would have been more poignant had she gone through with it. By the end of the game she's lost everything, even her abilty to play the guitaur, which was her sole remaining connection to Joel, has been severed. It seems unbelievably grim, considering that she did ultimately "end the circle of violence."

I guess the idea is that Ellie has finally let go of her feelings of remorse/rage both at Abby and, to an extent, at Joel for his lie. She can finally move on and find some kind of meaning to her life. It's a nice ending when I think of it that way, but the game was just such a...slog through the absolute worst of humanity that I almost feel like I would have appreciated it more had she actually murdered Abby, and the ending had been identical beyond that. Ellie loses everything. Killing Abby brings her no peace. Abby loses everything, dying helpless and alone, with full knowledge that Lev is doomed. Lev, this poor kid who just wanted to live his life, would doubtlessly have died there (or magically survived and then himself pursued vengeance on Ellie, works either way.) All this as a direct result of Abby and Ellie's relentless pursuits of vengeance. I think, while bleak as all hell, that might've worked better and brought all the themes of the game together around the basic "revenge bad" premise.

As it is, I appreciate what the game did for Ellie's character, but I don't really get how Abby's entire 10hr storyline fits in as a sort of "other side of the coin" to Ellie's. I mean, I don't feel like the game really delved into how killing Joel impacted Abby. Was she relieved? Empty inside? Disgusted? The game doesn't dwell on it. She just kind of...moves on to the next thing. I think they wasted the chance to really explore that whole issue from Abby's perspective, as a person who's sort of on the other side of the revenge plot that's driving Ellie so powerfully. Instead they spend too much time dwelling on her relationship with Owen, which feels totally tangential to what I thought was the main point of the game.

I would've written her entire story differently, but,with things exactly as they were, had she died at the end, bringing all her noble actions up to this point to waste, all as a result of her revenge... I wouldn't have liked it, but I think it would've fit a little better.

Trunkin said:

As it is, I appreciate what the game did for Ellie's character, but I don't really get how Abby's entire 10hr storyline fits in as a sort of "other side of the coin" to Ellie's. I mean, I don't feel like the game really delved into how killing Joel impacted Abby. Was she relieved? Empty inside? Disgusted? The game doesn't dwell on it. She just kind of...moves on to the next thing. I think they wasted the chance to really explore that whole issue from Abby's perspective, as a person who's sort of on the other side of the revenge plot that's driving Ellie so powerfully. Instead they spend too much time dwelling on her relationship with Owen, which feels totally tangential to what I thought was the main point of the game.

I would've written her entire story differently, but,with things exactly as they were, had she died at the end, bringing all her noble actions up to this point to waste, all as a result of her revenge... I wouldn't have liked it, but I think it would've fit a little better.

I don't think Abby was supposed to be "the other side of the coin" IMO. She was supposed to be exactly like Ellie. Someone willing to sacrifice everything to get revenge. At the end I think if you asked them both they would say they sacrificed to much. Abby lost everyone just to get revenge for her dad's death and I'm pretty sure she was raped before she was thrown on that pole if were being honest.

Ellie got off easier here IMO but Joel was tortured in front of her eyes while Abby's father died quickly and without her having to witness it.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Trunkin said:
Full spoilers ahead, so be warned. I think anyone in this thread probably doesn't care, but a warning never hurt anyone!

Finally finished the game. I definitely did like it, but I'm torn on the ending. While I think Ellie did the right thing in letting Abby live (as I was desperately hoping that she would to the point that I failled the QTE the first time), I can't help feeling that the ending would have been more poignant had she gone through with it. By the end of the game she's lost everything, even her abilty to play the guitaur, which was her sole remaining connection to Joel, has been severed. It seems unbelievably grim, considering that she did ultimately "end the circle of violence."

I guess the idea is that Ellie has finally let go of her feelings of remorse/rage both at Abby and, to an extent, at Joel for his lie. She can finally move on and find some kind of meaning to her life. It's a nice ending when I think of it that way, but the game was just such a...slog through the absolute worst of humanity that I almost feel like I would have appreciated it more had she actually murdered Abby, and the ending had been identical beyond that. Ellie loses everything. Killing Abby brings her no peace. Abby loses everything, dying helpless and alone, with full knowledge that Lev is doomed. Lev, this poor kid who just wanted to live his life, would doubtlessly have died there (or magically survived and then himself pursued vengeance on Ellie, works either way.) All this as a direct result of Abby and Ellie's relentless pursuits of vengeance. I think, while bleak as all hell, that might've worked better and brought all the themes of the game together around the basic "revenge bad" premise.

There is a lot of parallels in this, at the start of the last of US Joel is like Abby at the begining of her playable part, Abby at the end is Joel at the end of the first, Ellie after Joel is killed is Abby at the end of the last of US, lev is similar to Ellie in the last of US 1.

Ellie not killing Abby to me means She is the better One of them all , She didnt Lost everything , She saved herself, we dont even know If She GOES back to Jackson , the last scene of the game, She is willing to forgive Joel, maibe Dina can forgive her who knows.

Druckman left ending ambiguous , that is why i love the ending. I hope There is a third game, She finds redemption  and a purporse in life , just like abby.

The way I understand the ending is that she was left empty and understanding that revenge costed her everything. So she can go back to Jackson and resume her life with Dina at a blank slate.

John2290 said:
Playing the first game again and it's tarnished knowing Ellie grows up to be such a cunt.

After playing TLOU2 we can conclude Joel is our most humane and greater person in that world.