Forums - Sony Discussion - (SPOILER ALERT) Free discussion of TLOU2 with story included

Tagged games:

How do you rate TLOU2 story

1 8 17.02%
 
2 1 2.13%
 
3 4 8.51%
 
4 3 6.38%
 
5 4 8.51%
 
6 5 10.64%
 
7 3 6.38%
 
8 4 8.51%
 
9 6 12.77%
 
10 9 19.15%
 
Total:47

Dunno if this is the right place to talk about the AI, I'm not that far in yet and don't want to read any spoilers. However not sure if this is spoiler free enough for the other thread.

Seriously, my partner is useless, so useless enemies still ignore them completely... (And still stomp around to change position in full view)

I'm loving the game though, hence I've only recently begun exploring Seattle. I keep stopping to admire the work put into the game and the awesome lighting. I didn't expect to see a game already this gen where your flash light changes color based on what it bounces off. I spend far too much time bouncing it off things to watch the ambient light color change and shadows interact lol. Yet there's this niggling feeling that the same effort was not put into the AI :/



Around the Network
Jaicee said:
Question: Should I keep my earlier pledge to create a thread discussing my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II after I finished it and had time to absorb it all, or would such a post be merged into this thread?

For me it is fine for you to post here, but if you want to make your thread PM Hiku and explain why and he will probably greenlit, the game is already out for 2 weeks so I believe that if you say it'll have spoilers inside it won't be a problem.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

SvennoJ said:

Dunno if this is the right place to talk about the AI, I'm not that far in yet and don't want to read any spoilers. However not sure if this is spoiler free enough for the other thread.

Seriously, my partner is useless, so useless enemies still ignore them completely... (And still stomp around to change position in full view)

I'm loving the game though, hence I've only recently begun exploring Seattle. I keep stopping to admire the work put into the game and the awesome lighting. I didn't expect to see a game already this gen where your flash light changes color based on what it bounces off. I spend far too much time bouncing it off things to watch the ambient light color change and shadows interact lol. Yet there's this niggling feeling that the same effort was not put into the AI :/

It gets worse, much worse. It's an encounter by encounter basis where they seem to have tuned the Ai to fit the environment or maybe the environment just gets in thr way of the code, I can't tell but there are some encounters that are absolute jokes and some with Human Ai (at least on hard) that (at least feel) next level. 



 

China Numba wan!!

SvennoJ said:

Dunno if this is the right place to talk about the AI, I'm not that far in yet and don't want to read any spoilers. However not sure if this is spoiler free enough for the other thread.

Seriously, my partner is useless, so useless enemies still ignore them completely... (And still stomp around to change position in full view)

I'm loving the game though, hence I've only recently begun exploring Seattle. I keep stopping to admire the work put into the game and the awesome lighting. I didn't expect to see a game already this gen where your flash light changes color based on what it bounces off. I spend far too much time bouncing it off things to watch the ambient light color change and shadows interact lol. Yet there's this niggling feeling that the same effort was not put into the AI :/

Depending on the partner they will be more or less usefull, Joel is usefull, Dina isn't. Most of the time your partner will only kill the last surviving enemy in the story. And the AI seems to vary greatly with the difficulty. On the lowest difficult their route is easy to predict, easy to avoid and you can get very near even going from the front and still stealth kill, while on hardest they will spot you very easily.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:

Depending on the partner they will be more or less usefull, Joel is usefull, Dina isn't. Most of the time your partner will only kill the last surviving enemy in the story. And the AI seems to vary greatly with the difficulty. On the lowest difficult their route is easy to predict, easy to avoid and you can get very near even going from the front and still stealth kill, while on hardest they will spot you very easily.

I think I'm on the default difficulty, don't remember if I changed it. They spot me quite easily though, definitely can't sneak up from the front. She could at least share some of her infinite supply of bullets! I suck at the dodge mechanic as well which doesn't help. Yet why will the enemy not go after her, so I can then attack it from the back. It's very immersion braking when your partner stands there as an invisible (to the enemy) turret that can't hit. Just wait outside if its going to be like that :)

Anyway after that I figured out how to swap guns (that's where all the ammo went I picked up). Not sure why the game doesn't automate that or prompt at least like it keeps doing for jumping and crouching lol. Hit and miss, basically the same as combat in the first one. Some encounters are great.



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

Depending on the partner they will be more or less usefull, Joel is usefull, Dina isn't. Most of the time your partner will only kill the last surviving enemy in the story. And the AI seems to vary greatly with the difficulty. On the lowest difficult their route is easy to predict, easy to avoid and you can get very near even going from the front and still stealth kill, while on hardest they will spot you very easily.

I think I'm on the default difficulty, don't remember if I changed it. They spot me quite easily though, definitely can't sneak up from the front. She could at least share some of her infinite supply of bullets! I suck at the dodge mechanic as well which doesn't help. Yet why will the enemy not go after her, so I can then attack it from the back. It's very immersion braking when your partner stands there as an invisible (to the enemy) turret that can't hit. Just wait outside if its going to be like that :)

Anyway after that I figured out how to swap guns (that's where all the ammo went I picked up). Not sure why the game doesn't automate that or prompt at least like it keeps doing for jumping and crouching lol. Hit and miss, basically the same as combat in the first one. Some encounters are great.

They make it troublesome to change weapon =p

And yes it is a problem that your partner is invisible, but considering how dumb they are on their movement (like the enemies) it would be seem all the time and get killed and you would fail because of it.

AI is really the weakness of the game.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Finished it this week-end. Felt drained. Will collect my thoughts and post them here later.

I did like the game, its story, and the way it was told.

Still wish we had another game with Ellie and Joel though, because I enjoyed their dynamic quite a bit in the first game. But I understand what they went for, and for me, it worked. The game's writing was very good. And I think people say it's bad because the story wasn't what they expected or wanted for those characters. That or they couldn't understand the characters' motivations and emotional states... And as far as the SJW stuff is concerned, I didn't find anything in this game worth going ballistic. At all.


Man, I'm emotionally exhausted.  And I was just playing a game...

Last edited by Hynad - 4 days ago


Hynad said:

Finished it this week-end. Felt drained. Will collect my thoughts and post them here later.

I did like the game, its story, and the way it was told.

Still wish we had another game with Ellie and Joel though, because I enjoyed their dynamic quite a bit in the first game. But I understand what they went for, and for me, it worked. The game's writing was very good. And I think people say it's bad because the story wasn't what they expected or wanted for those characters. That or they couldn't understand the characters' motivations and emotional states... And as far as the SJW stuff is concerned, I didn't find anything in this game worth going ballistic. At all.


Man, I'm emotionally exhausted.  And I was just playing a game...

I think a standalone expansion with Joel and Tommy would be even better, be it pre TLOU1 or the growing of Jackson. That way people that really wanted to play more as Joel could feel satisfied.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

What an amazing game, just when you think its going to end, it keeps on giving and giving. I love ellie and abby!!



Immersiveunreality said:
Jaicee said:
Question: Should I keep my earlier pledge to create a thread discussing my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II after I finished it and had time to absorb it all, or would such a post be merged into this thread?

I think it would be better to make your own thread,in here your discussion might be overshadowed rapidly.

And your take as a rare female gamer on this forum that is also part of the LGBT community and has a history of making interesting post does make it more worthy of having a seperate place.

DonFerrari said:
Jaicee said:
Question: Should I keep my earlier pledge to create a thread discussing my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II after I finished it and had time to absorb it all, or would such a post be merged into this thread?

For me it is fine for you to post here, but if you want to make your thread PM Hiku and explain why and he will probably greenlit, the game is already out for 2 weeks so I believe that if you say it'll have spoilers inside it won't be a problem.

Sounds good. I think I'd rather do a separate thread anyway. I've finished the game now, but honestly I may have to even play through it again to fully gather my thoughts. If I posted something right now, it'd be a total disjointed mess because I right now am a total disjointed mess.