By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 39 41.94%

Yes 54 58.06%

Total:93
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

No it doesn't become popular because that is decided by the market, but it certainly is the objective of that dev. Not sure what kinda point you are trying to make that needs you making fallacies, distorting my point, reaching and making strawman all at once.

That's what I already had pointed out earlier, that the market/audience/consumers/people decide popularity. They can't do that until they've experienced it, had a chance to think it over, and voice their opinion. Individuals, or groups of them, who just decide/feel they want something to be a certain way, doesn't make it so.

And then said TLOU2 isn't popular?

Again something being popular and being designed to be popular are different thing. It's like music. Pop music is made to be popular, Indie aren't. Still you can have a pop music that isn't popular and an Indie that is. Still the intent and design was there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

did they delete the 'some TLOU2 haters are crazy' thread? Can't find it on my buddy.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
did they delete the 'some TLOU2 haters are crazy' thread? Can't find it on my buddy.

Yes seems like it,it would be nice to have a more clarified explanation for the cancellation of threads like these.

Any mods that want to chime in?

Just beat the game, FINALLY.
Gonna need a day or two to read this thread. I might have a comment or two and I might not. Don't know. I feel satisfied with the game itself, though. Hell of a journey.

Runa216 said:

It just had the name changed.

d21lewis said:
Just beat the game, FINALLY.
Gonna need a day or two to read this thread. I might have a comment or two and I might not. Don't know. I feel satisfied with the game itself, though. Hell of a journey.

Glad you liked it, and imho a lot of people that didn't like perhaps given time and playing again may end liking, because now they won't have the shock.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

No, it got locked, so it's not in my buddy. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

No, it got locked, so it's not in my buddy. 

I see. Thanks for confirming.

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

That's what I already had pointed out earlier, that the market/audience/consumers/people decide popularity. They can't do that until they've experienced it, had a chance to think it over, and voice their opinion. Individuals, or groups of them, who just decide/feel they want something to be a certain way, doesn't make it so.

Again something being popular and being designed to be popular are different thing. It's like music. Pop music is made to be popular, Indie aren't. Still you can have a pop music that isn't popular and an Indie that is. Still the intent and design was there.

Don't remember saying that without referring to popular entertainment. Depends how long you require after it hits the market before you can justifiably state it's popular, and depends on what you're comparing it to.

Can something planned on being popular, fail at being popular? If it fails at being popular, is it still referred to as popular?

If a man wants a baby boy born to him, which is the popular choice by men, and it ends up being a baby girl instead, does it mean she's actually a baby boy? Should people refer to her as a boy? The man never truly knew what the sex was going to be until after birth, just like how a studio doesn't truly know if the game will be well received until after launch. The man won't know the child's overall gender for quite some time, just like how the studio won't know it's games overall sales for quite some time. If the baby girl doesn't meet the expectation, is she really a boy, and if the game doesn't meet the expectation, is it popular?

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't remember saying that without referring to popular entertainment. Depends how long you require after it hits the market before you can justifiably state it's popular, and depends on what you're comparing it to.

Can something planned on being popular, fail at being popular? If it fails at being popular, is it still referred to as popular?

If a man wants a baby boy born to him, which is the popular choice by men, and it ends up being a baby girl instead, does it mean she's actually a baby boy? Should people refer to her as a boy? The man never truly knew what the sex was going to be until after birth, just like how a studio doesn't truly know if the game will be well received until after launch. The man won't know the child's overall gender for quite some time, just like how the studio won't know it's games overall sales for quite some time. If the baby girl doesn't meet the expectation, is she really a boy, and if the game doesn't meet the expectation, is it popular?

Yes it can, a pop music is a pop music even if it doesn't do success.

And considering how much conversation TLOU2 generated you can't say it isn't popular. Even if something is hated to the 11th power then it is popular, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, etc are all popular people.

You are still trying to put some very odd fallacies for who know why to try and say TLOU2 isn't popular or that AAA aren't made to be popular. Worse yet, since woman are bigger part of the population they would be the most popular outcome, not that it matter since when we also have over 3B man they are popular as well. Just stop making analogies that makes no sense.

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes it can, a pop music is a pop music even if it doesn't do success.

And considering how much conversation TLOU2 generated you can't say it isn't popular. Even if something is hated to the 11th power then it is popular, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin, etc are all popular people.

You are still trying to put some very odd fallacies for who know why to try and say TLOU2 isn't popular or that AAA aren't made to be popular. Worse yet, since woman are bigger part of the population they would be the most popular outcome, not that it matter since when we also have over 3B man they are popular as well. Just stop making analogies that makes no sense.

Not really. Popular means liked. I think the word you're looking for there is famous or well known. Those 3 people you mentioned are all certainly famous, popular however...

That said, just like you said with pop music, TLOU2 is undoubtedly popular entertainment. Video games are a popular form of entertainment, so if you make a video game then you're making popular entertainment. Now whether an individual game is popular or not is a different matter. But regardless the fact remains that Druckmann was right when he was talking about making popular entertainment.

Not sure if Popular can only be used when it is positive (even though Populist is a negative connotion of politician that do things to be popular), but yes that doesn't matter and famous would be a better world (altough for me I always think on famous on the positive side and infamous on the negative).