By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 39 41.94%

Yes 54 58.06%

Total:93

It's not Naughty Dog's agenda, it's basically Neil Druckmann's agenda and now that he's become vice president of ND he started painting ND with his sociopolitical views. I don't really care about his own views, he can believe in whatever he wants to believe in. What I do mind is forcing those views in any video game. The vast majority of people play video games to escape from the boring reality. No one wants to see or hear the same controversial stuff they see on tv every single day in a video game. So yes I do believe he is ruining ND and he really should stop or be stopped.

Last edited by GoldenHand80 - on 17 July 2020

Around the Network
GoldenHand80 said:

It's not Naughty Dog's agenda, it's basically Neil Druckmann's agenda and now that he's become vice president of ND he started painting ND with his sociopolitical views. I don't really care about his own views, he can believe in whatever he wants to believe in. What I do mind is forcing those views in any video game. The vast majority of people play video games to escape from the boring reality. No one wants to see or hear the same controversial stuff they see on tv every single day in a video game. So yes I do believe he is ruining ND and he really should stop or be stopped.

What is Neil Druckmann's agenda?

GoldenHand80 said:

You really don't understand the core concept of art, do you? Or you do and you don't believe videogames are art. Either way, anyone saying 'I don't want political agendas being forced into my media' are not the kind of people with their finger on the pulse, if you know what I'm talking about. 

And yeah, a lot of people do play video games to escape boring reality. that's why we have shit like Call of Duty and Battlefield and sports games and racing games. We have a LOT of games for escapism and there's nothing wrong with that...but if you genuinely think The Last of US was about escapism then clearly you weren't paying attention. Hell, you can't even say Naughty dog is pushing beliefs becuase one of their game franchises - Uncharted - is pure escapism pulp fantasy. 

So what you're really saying is that you don't respect the artistry involved because it's just a game and therefore not art and shouldn't have a message, or it is okay to have a message, but only as long as it agrees with your ideals. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Having now completed the game, I am absolutely baffled by all the fuss people made in regards to its "politics."

The only agenda people should be talking about is ND's strong desire to make their games feel like TV shows/Films. Something which is obviously driving gameplay in a fairly narrow direction. The genre which ND operates centers on representing extremely grounded worlds and characters and that is always going to be "political". It only appears apolitical when it adheres to politics already held or accepted by the player.

If someone wants to make a badass male lead, that's just fun. If they want to make a bad ass female lead, that's political. If they want to have sexualised content and nudity in a game, that's just fun. If TLOU2 wants to feature a gay relationship, its political. If developers market something towards your average white male guy, it's just marketing, if they have a wider audience in mind, its pandering. I can go on like this for a days....

There wasn't a single moment I can recall in TLOU2 where I feel they forced a development in narrative just so they can preach about their politics. There is also very little identity or social politics in the game outside from Lev being outcast but even I'm not sure whether it's because he is trans or because he cut his hair. The game is far more centered around the messed up cycle of violence and misery, vengeance and hate causes.

I found the game frustrating & overlong but also incredibly provocative and i found it had a very refreshing story arch and set of characters. Owen stole my heart <3

GoldenHand80 said:

There isn't controversial stuff in game, the controversy was made on discussion outside of it.

The from 30h of game you probably have like 10-20min conversation that would touch biggotry towards trans people and talking about male roles and woman fighting for power...

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I don't mind, as long as the games are good.

Kinneas14 said:

Got some bad news for ya mate. xD

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Kinneas14 said:

Got some bad news for ya mate. xD

Yes, ND games are all sub 70 meta.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

The game is heavily based on story and the story in that game sucks, it is just a cringe show from start to finish. Neil is trying so hard to make his games controversial but his attempts just backfired at him and naughty dog. He is an extremely hypocritical person, preaching for diversity and social equality then he fires one of the most talented female writers and creative directors in the industry, Amy Hennig. Then he went on to make a spin off of uncharted about a lesbian couple. Then, what a surprise,  he made this garbage of a game the last of us part 2 again about a lesbian couple and a woman that looks and behaves like a man except when she is with Owen and about a transgender who wants to find a place where they accept him. He clearly doesn't care about equality and social equality, he just enjoys watching women kissing each other when doing motion capture, I bet that he asked them to repeat that scene several times with excuse that it can be improved.

GoldenHand80 said:

The game is heavily based on story and the story in that game sucks, it is just a cringe show from start to finish. Neil is trying so hard to make his games controversial but his attempts just backfired at him and naughty dog. He is an extremely hypocritical person, preaching for diversity and social equality then he fires one of the most talented female writers and creative directors in the industry, Amy Hennig. Then he went on to make a spin off of uncharted about a lesbian couple. Then, what a surprise,  he made this garbage of a game the last of us part 2 again about a lesbian couple and a woman that looks and behaves like a man except when she is with Owen and about a transgender who wants to find a place where they accept him. He clearly doesn't care about equality and social equality, he just enjoys watching women kissing each other when doing motion capture, I bet that he asked them to repeat that scene several times with excuse that it can be improved.

Seems like you put a lot of thought and dissecated the story of LL, LL and TLOU2.