Forums - Politics Discussion - (POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE) The agenda and political discussion of Naughty Dog

Have politics damaged the quality of ND games

No 28 39.44%

Yes 43 60.56%

Total:71
Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Well you call people bigots and sexists for questioning Abbys body, so maybe not accuse other people of being immature?

Because they are? I mean, it's either they're bigots or they're idiots, because Abby's body proportions are completely reasonable and you'd have to be either an idiot or a bigot to think otherwise. Either way, I don't respect them and they don't deserve respect. 

Its just using those words in cases like this kinda lessen the impact of them. People become more suspicious when real bigotry and sexism occur. Same with words like racist and homophobe. Save your anger for the people who really hurt others.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
So Abby's model is based on Colleen Fotsch, who does CrossFit competitions and is regularly tested for steroids for those competitions.

*Googles her*

Yeah, seems to check out.
Looks like she did some motion capture for the character model too.

I haven't read the entire thread, but why was this brought up initially?

@John2290 You've played Yakuza 0. Every 55 year old man in that game is jacked.

There were no essay long posts across multiple threads analyzing Kuze's muscle mass and body fat percentage, questioning why he has the body of a 22 year old who eats nothing but protein and spends half his day at the gym.
It was just a footnote. "Old men in Yakuza are ripped. lol"
And then they moved on.

It should have been the same with Abby.

Last edited by Hiku - 5 days ago

Hiku said:
the-pi-guy said:
So Abby's model is based on Colleen Fotsch, who does CrossFit competitions and is regularly tested for steroids for those competitions.

*Googles her*

Yeah, seems to check out.
Looks like she did some motion capture for the character model too.

I haven't read the entire thread, but why was this brought up initially?

@John2290 You've played Yakuza 0. Every 55 year old man in that game is jacked.

There were no essay long posts across multiple threads analyzing Kuze's muscle mass and body fat percentage, questioning why he has the body of a 22 year old who eats nothing but protein and spends half his day at the gym.
It was just a footnote. "Old men in Yakuza are ripped. lol"
And then they moved on.

It should have been the same with Abby.

Like I stated before I think this is a trivial aspect of the game to be assessing, I agree with you, if you read back. I don't know why it got landed on me when I only jumped in to criticise the starting point of Abby's stature and where it ended up. You're right, this is a silly criticism of the game regardless of who is right or wrong. 

China Numba wan!!

the-pi-guy said:

Since you didn't inserted the pic I done it for you

I'll say she is bigger than Abby and her abs (nickname for Abby kkkk) is more defined than Abby.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

John2290 said:
Zoombael said:

A missing gym would be the least of problems.

With Abbys character, the body building or the story as a whole?

If it's Abbys physique, yeah, they just copied a male boybuilders body and put Abbys head and some feint titties on it and that's an oversight, that's the only problem. She had four years to train, is at the top on the food chain in that place, high ranking and what not, so she can maintain very eaily in that last year or so of buffness and she has endless time to maintain alon with a meat and dairy being likely the most abundant food source. Prison women manage and they don't get exactly the best diet. Now, should they have been more realistic with the shape of her body, of course it's a mistake that people are going way too hard on and fuck it, who cares, maybe she was raiding seatle chemists for roids. 

There are a hell of a lot of things to critique about this story and if there was an underlying agenda (I think even if there was, they pulled it off without making it feel forced and props to them, I very rarely scoffed aside from the teen drama and soap opera shit) like the side characters, the pacing, the side characters, the sometimes badly written dialouge, the side characters, the destruction of established characters for god knows what reason, the side characters, the hit to progression because of how the story is cut, the side characters and last but not least the side character aside from the two scars and Owen. 

@Hiku I think this is where i bumped in on Abbys body, not sure why it landed on me recently.

China Numba wan!!

Around the Network

Issue with statements about how reasonable it is for a video game character model to be one way or another is that you only have a single person to go on. Single individuals are always an amalgam of different not so likely things. I have a PhD (2% chance), Crohn's disease (1% chance) and am a father of an interracial child (15% chance based on interracial marriage rates). The chances of me being all of those is .01x.02x.15 or .003%, but that doesn't change the fact that I as a single person am those things. If you think it's unreasonable for a game character to be a certain way all you need is a single example of someone being like that in the real world and you're already wrong, even if there's only a single person like that in the entire world because that single character is also just a single person. You'd need multiple people with these traits to meet up randomly before you could say anything about likelihood of an event occuring.

You're teeearrring me apart Lisa..st of us 2!

China Numba wan!!

Torillian said:
Issue with statements about how reasonable it is for a video game character model to be one way or another is that you only have a single person to go on. Single individuals are always an amalgam of different not so likely things. I have a PhD (2% chance), Crohn's disease (1% chance) and am a father of an interracial child (15% chance based on interracial marriage rates). The chances of me being all of those is .01x.02x.15 or .003%, but that doesn't change the fact that I as a single person am those things. If you think it's unreasonable for a game character to be a certain way all you need is a single example of someone being like that in the real world and you're already wrong, even if there's only a single person like that in the entire world because that single character is also just a single person. You'd need multiple people with these traits to meet up randomly before you could say anything about likelihood of an event occuring.

Guess you are mixing things.

Would it be reasonable to meet you on the street at random? 1 in 7 billions people? Nope. Would it be possible? Yes it would.

So it is possible that someone like her exist (and we have the female that was used as reference that is very similar to her), but is it reasonable as within expectations? Not really. Is it a problem? Of course not, after all life is made of very (un)likely events that are unique when weaved together.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Torillian said:

Would it be reasonable to meet you on the street at random? 1 in 7 billions people? Nope. Would it be possible? Yes it would.

So it is possible that someone like her exist (and we have the female that was used as reference that is very similar to her), but is it reasonable as within expectations? Not really. Is it a problem? Of course not, after all life is made of very (un)likely events that are unique when weaved together.

He's not mixing things at all. He is right. You seem to want to argue for arguing's sake.

DonFerrari said:
Torillian said:

But then how do you define reasonable? If a single character is a gay, black, transgender woman with green eyes they're an amalgam of unlikely things but they are just a single person and if I want to make a game about such a character it would be no different to me finding someone like that in the real world and doing a documentary on them or making that a character in a movie for a story I felt like telling. If I tell a story about a lottery winner is that not reasonable?