By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will Switch Sales be affected once Xbox SX &PS5 Release?

How much will Switch sales be affected?

No affect, might even rise 35 38.89%

Might get slightly lower but still sell well 37 41.11%

Noticeably lower 10 11.11%

Switch Is Doomed 8 8.89%

Total:90
starcraft said:
I suspect there will be some impact. They're not totally different products in the sense that they compete for a similar segment of a household's budget.

Lately Switch sales have benefited from a drop off in PS4/X1 sales, which in turn has occurred in part due to the imminent release of the next gen machines.

Why didn’t the Wii U benefited from the “drop off” of PS3 and Xbox?

I think the switch sales benefited from Animal Crossing releasing.

Around the Network
BlackBeauty said:
starcraft said:
I suspect there will be some impact. They're not totally different products in the sense that they compete for a similar segment of a household's budget.

Lately Switch sales have benefited from a drop off in PS4/X1 sales, which in turn has occurred in part due to the imminent release of the next gen machines.

Because the Wii U was the Wii U... The console has to have some reasonable appeal to be viewed as a substitute for other forms of entertainment.

But I agree that Animal Crossing played in to the increase as well. So did the pandemic.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Switch has the monopoly in handheld sector. Its only time when people are getting bored of mobile games and will move to the other handheld device.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Barkley said:
Switch sales will be noticeably lower next year. But that has little to do with the launch of the ps5/xsx.

yep. Unless another pandemic happens in 2021. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

MasonADC said:
It won’t be at all. I really hope when the switch has a natural decline next year, people don’t claim that it is due to increase competition from next gen.

Oh im sure the same people have already prepared the Switch doom threads for next year. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
padib said:
The Switch will be affected in the amount of multiplats it will be able to borrow from the PS/XB brands. Currently, the Switch gets ports/remakes of PS3/XB360 games, as well as ports of PS4/X1 games. At the beginning of the PS5/XSX gen, many non-exclusive games will continue to be published on PS4+PS5/X1+XSX, and will be portable to the Switch, but as the generation advances, games will mostly leverage the new generation of hardware, so SW portability might drop.

It may take a while before the new models of the Switch catch up with the new capabilities, the only question remaining is if games that will be made for PS5/XSX will still be portable to a weaker platform, and for that only game dev leads, game studio owners or time can reveal.

I feel like we're still going to see popular games like Overwatch, Fortnite and Rocket league which can run on low end PCs into next gen. Which will also benefit the Switch. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

BlackBeauty said:
starcraft said:

Yeah, besides COVID, Animal Crossing brings another tier consumers for Switch. 

Jranation said:
padib said:
The Switch will be affected in the amount of multiplats it will be able to borrow from the PS/XB brands. Currently, the Switch gets ports/remakes of PS3/XB360 games, as well as ports of PS4/X1 games. At the beginning of the PS5/XSX gen, many non-exclusive games will continue to be published on PS4+PS5/X1+XSX, and will be portable to the Switch, but as the generation advances, games will mostly leverage the new generation of hardware, so SW portability might drop.

It may take a while before the new models of the Switch catch up with the new capabilities, the only question remaining is if games that will be made for PS5/XSX will still be portable to a weaker platform, and for that only game dev leads, game studio owners or time can reveal.

I feel like we're still going to see popular games like Overwatch, Fortnite and Rocket league which can run on low end PCs into next gen. Which will also benefit the Switch. 

True, I didn't think of those. Good point.

There will be an impact, but not a big drop-off. When Switch's sales really start to drop off, it will just be because the Switch has been out for a while. In general, I don't think there will be too many consumers who say "I really want a Switch, but I better get a PS5 or Xbox Series X instead". Or even "Now that PS4 and Xbox One are cheaper than ever, I'd rather get them than a Switch." They'll exist, but they'll be the minority.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 144 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Little to no impact.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.