By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will Switch Sales be affected once Xbox SX &PS5 Release?

How much will Switch sales be affected?

No affect, might even rise 35 38.89%

Might get slightly lower but still sell well 37 41.11%

Noticeably lower 10 11.11%

Switch Is Doomed 8 8.89%

Total:90

I think the Switch sales will be impacted from 2021 on (not this year) by the release of the next-gen consoles.
Because up until now Switch was the shiny new thing on the console market, in 2021 it will be not. As a portable console it's the only one available, so obviously it will continue to be the right (and only) choice for anyone needing portability. But from an home console perspective it will surely take an hit, since PS5 or XBox are decisely more advanced.

In the end, being a portable, it will continue to do just fine but only if Nintendo continues to release great fisrt-party games and maybe reducing the price to $179 / $229 (Lite and Original) by the end of the year.

Around the Network

Not at all imo

Jumpin said:

General sales will have little to no effect, but Holiday sales will DEFINITELY be impacted. When it comes to the holidays, it's all about the hot gift item, andwithout PS5 and XboxTWO the Switch will be the only real contender.

That said, I don't think 2020 will be impacted a great deal at all. Most people getting a PS5/XboxTWO will either already have a Switch or their plans to get one will be unchanged (most likely they had none). But 2021 and beyond will be a much different story. The only way around it is price cuts to put Switch in a wider pool of potential gifters... But, I'll note that big holiday sales will slash non-holiday sales of the Switch, and even price drops will impact that because it will front-load future sales and also slash revenue of actual price-cut purchases vs potential full price purchases.

In my line of work, I've followed these sorts of sales trends in all sorts of different industries, and it seems to be similar in everything from vehicles, to electronics, to virtual premium currencies.

I'll also note that this depends on PS4/Xbox Two performance. If they're not hot items then obviously they won't impact Switch sales much. One of the big issues with PS3 was the price point, Sony over-estimated the value of their product. Funny thing, it was actually MORE expensive to buy a Wii due to scalping than it was to get a PS3. Basically, the only way to get a Wii was to wait out for hours and hours in line, and hopefully you were far enough along the line to be one of the chosen ones. I suppose the fact that the Wii was one of the few consoles ever released that had true killer apps (with Wii Sports and Wii Fit) helped a lot. Speaking of which, while it's not guaranteed that GTA6 will be a killer app that's the game with the best chance on PS5.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.