4 30 20.55%

3 25 17.12%

2 19 13.01%

1 24 16.44%

Not sure yet 2 1.37%

Total:146
SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

Only thing that gives me hope is that Microsoft essentially does it with all its backwards compatible games.  But you do need to insert the disc the first time. Still, there are other ways to register your game online if Sony wanted to allow it.

Also, there is no way in hell Sony will charge 700 or even 600 for a discless console.  I'd say best case scenario is 500 for disc based and 400 for discless.  More likely though is 500 and 450.  But if Sony wants to succeed, they will not charge 700. Play Asia has no inside info.

Don't you need to insert the disc every time you play the game to verify you still own it? What would be stopping people from passing the disc around to get free games? For a disc less console you would somehow need to send in the disc to switch to a digital license.

And yup, depending on how much Sony likes the digital margins, the could easily drop the disc less version down $100. New games are the same price on PSN as in stores, sometimes still even cheaper in stores. That's a lot of extra cash for first party games. (Dunno how it works with 3rd party but I guess Sony charges some money for hosting it on the psn store as well)

You know what, you're right.  I was under the assumption that there was some kind of unique identifier in the disc that would or could transfer it to a digital license. In the case of the PS4, I'm sure there must be something...bar code, some serial number on the disc. Something that could only be redeemed once. 

Or maybe there isn't and I'll be getting a disc-based console.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

Don't you need to insert the disc every time you play the game to verify you still own it? What would be stopping people from passing the disc around to get free games? For a disc less console you would somehow need to send in the disc to switch to a digital license.

And yup, depending on how much Sony likes the digital margins, the could easily drop the disc less version down $100. New games are the same price on PSN as in stores, sometimes still even cheaper in stores. That's a lot of extra cash for first party games. (Dunno how it works with 3rd party but I guess Sony charges some money for hosting it on the psn store as well)

You know what, you're right.  I was under the assumption that there was some kind of unique identifier in the disc that would or could transfer it to a digital license. In the case of the PS4, I'm sure there must be something...bar code, some serial number on the disc. Something that could only be redeemed once. 

Or maybe there isn't and I'll be getting a disc-based console.

There isn't. That was part of MS' plan last gen, unique identifiers in discs so you could install the game without needing the disc anymore, then when you trade it in (at a licensed store) your digital license would expire. Basically discs would be tied to the console they were first installed on and you would need MS to unlock them again for trading.

Nobody liked that idea so no unique identifiers in discs.

Eugh. I hate it when companies think their product is the center of my life. If I want to place art objects in my living room, I purchase art object. Functional devices should be of unobtrusive design. Basically: I want to look at games, not the console. TV-makers get it right these days, the designs remove more and more everything not the screen. That is the right direction.

What makes it worse is, that I think this is not stackable. I own multiple devices, for gaming and non-gaming, but I lack the space to present each of these electronic devices on it's own place. Stacking is really helpful.

And to finish it off, this thing is ginormous. Is it the biggest console ever? I don't know, but it probably is close.

It will probably catch dust a lot and is difficult to clean with all this shapes.

Well, does it look absolutely hideous. No. It is weird, but it is not ugly.

So my overall verdict: 2/5. There is room below, but a lot more to improve.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I would rather an understated look to blend in with the rest of my entertainment center... So it gets a 1 for me.

In saying that, the design itself is very "modern" and "Sci-Fi" and from that angle I would rate it a 5.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dulfite said:
If I was a bachelor and had unlimited spacing, cool. But I'm a married man with limited spacing vertically, so the design on this is so inconvenient to me that it will be the driving factor to me purchasing a Series X over it. If it shrunk 1/3 of a foot we could talk, but as it is that thing is way too tall and it sounds like it could overheat if laid sideways? I've never bought a PlayStation due to fanboyism over the years. PS4, which I didn't own, started to change my mind especially with third party controllers. I went into this with an open mind. But the thing simply won't fit literally or stylistically with the rest of my furniture and then I'm going to lose out on Happy Home Designer points.

Sony would be moronic to design it with disregard to it lying to the side since they know a lot of customers will use it like that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I give it a 4. I don't really like it, but I recognize that it is well designed. It's just not my "type."

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:
If I was a bachelor and had unlimited spacing, cool. But I'm a married man with limited spacing vertically, so the design on this is so inconvenient to me that it will be the driving factor to me purchasing a Series X over it. If it shrunk 1/3 of a foot we could talk, but as it is that thing is way too tall and it sounds like it could overheat if laid sideways? I've never bought a PlayStation due to fanboyism over the years. PS4, which I didn't own, started to change my mind especially with third party controllers. I went into this with an open mind. But the thing simply won't fit literally or stylistically with the rest of my furniture and then I'm going to lose out on Happy Home Designer points.

Sony would be moronic to design it with disregard to it lying to the side since they know a lot of customers will use it like that.

I though I read somewhere that they have it standing up so heat could escape to keep it cooler easier, which I thought implied if laid horizontally there could be issues.

In any case, if I lay that thing down the length of it won't fit into my box shaped entertainment center. I don't want to have to buy a new $300-600 entertainment center just to use a game console lol.

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

I though I read somewhere that they have it standing up so heat could escape to keep it cooler easier, which I thought implied if laid horizontally there could be issues.

In any case, if I lay that thing down the length of it won't fit into my box shaped entertainment center. I don't want to have to buy a new $300-600 entertainment center just to use a game console lol.

Putting it inside an entertainment center won't matter one bit whether it's vertical or horizontal. I doubt the orientation makes much of a difference, the fan inside is orders of magnitude more powerful than what convection can contribute. Putting my amp upside down or putting something on top would be bad (no fan), it get seriously hot with loud music, the heat must escape on it's own out the top. Yet anything with a fan, just make sure the vents stay clean and aren't obstructed (like right against a wall inside a cabinet) And don't use cabinets with doors :)

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

In the reveal they showed the console standing sideways as well. It was using a stand for both positions though, let's see how it works without any.

About the second comment I don't think you wanted a PS5 even if it was smaller.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."