By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239

It’s ugly.

Let’s face it though Playstations get worse each gen. With this PS5 design all I can think of is “Why?” Why does it look like what looks like, why is there all kind of things sticking out, why is there a blob on the side, why is it huge, and whatever other why.

People say that “you don’t look at a console anyway”, but if it looks like this, it sure is distracting actually. Better lock it up in a safe somewhere.

Around the Network

Nope, it looks really ugly. In my opinion it tries too hard to be futuristic and modern. I am surprised to say this, but the Xbox Series X somehow managed to have a better design than the PS5 and the XSX is literally a grey prism.

I also find it interesting that both Sony and Microsoft went for designs that seem to be designed to be placed vertically. I thought most people played their consoles horizontally?

In fact the only other console design I can think of that was designed to be placed primarily vertically is the Wii.

My answer is no. Not my cup of tea, I'd rather go single colour and I rarely like white devices.

I get those who see the futurism and the modern curves, but what I see is something quite dated due to the black/white dualism and on the vertical it still reminds me of a fancy tower fan. Even if we all can agree to disagree, it still looks quite divisive due to its lack of modesty in design. Besides, devices these days are quite minimalist so PS5 looks quite out of trend.

I know it means nothing, but out of 5 people I know (family and friends), only 1 liked it. The same with the dualsense.

Perhaps seeing it in person can change my mind.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Jranation said:
V-r0cK said:

Are you seriously suggesting the spacing of the buttons can actually determine that Sony copied Xbox???  I cant tell if you're serious >.>

I dont know how to describe it. Like compare the PS5 controller to the PS5. Then look at the Xbox Controller. Besides the analogstick positions it resembles the Xbox Controller more. 

I wont deny that the PS5 controller has some similarities as the Xbox controller.  When I first saw the PS5 controller, I personally thought the design was like a hybrid of the Xbox and the Switch Pro controller, like how the PS5 controller has like slimmer wings/handles or however you call it, and looks a bit more flat.

Also, I highly doubt the PS5 controller was designed right after the Xbox's design was released.  It's possible the console and controller designs for both systems were completed or in its final phase earlier than that.  It just so happens that this gen Xbox and Playstation's controller designs turned out more similar then expected.  And these days all controllers will look relatively the same since they're all going for the same/similar button configuration so maybe it was just a matter of time when both of these controllers would be more identical.

And maybe when Sony saw the new Xbox controller they realized how similar it looked to theirs and they could've changed it but decided to just stick with the design or was already too late to change it? 

I dont know, I never thought the design of a controller is much to go off of as to who's copied who as I've mentioned how they all look relatively the same.  But moreso a feature of a controller of who copied would be more like ie. thumbsticks where the N64 had it then Sony changed their PS1 controllers to have dual thumbsticks, or Xbox taking the same button letters as Nintendo, etc..

Last edited by V-r0cK - on 12 June 2020

It's pretty hideous. It looks like one of those amateur "futuristic PC" designs you used to see on forums in the mid-2000s.

Around the Network

Not a huge fan if I'm honest. But it's more about the color scheme, it doesn't fit anything else near and around my TV. Everything I own is black or dark gray, this will look like that one pain-in the ass, loud buddy you invite because you know he's lonely.

I like it, but at the same time I'm not fully persuaded.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

CGI-Quality said:
Mandalore76 said:

The top search recommendations on Google don't look promising

the PS5 looks

the PS5 looks ugly
    the PS5 looks bad

Personally, I think the console and the controller look atrocious.

We got the same type of remarks in 2013 with the PS4. It'll be fine.

I didn't say it wouldn't be fine.  I was responding to the question posed by the OP regarding it's "looks".  Personally, I don't remember this many negative reactions regarding the look of the PS4, but I could be wrong.

SvennoJ said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats not quite fair though.
This shows the Xbox Series X, standing flat at the height of the base PS5 (with its stand).
While ignoreing that Xbox Series X also has these 4 little pads that raise it, at its base.

Ei. Xbox Series X is abit taller than this picture shows.
(they only show the outline of the case of the xbox, ignoreing that its raised off the ground by 4 small feet, so it can take in air)

*edit:
Basically only the playstation 5 here has a stand, or such taken into account.
If your just compaireing the box sizes, you should remove the Playstation 5's stand to be fair with all the others without.

True, looks exaggerated to me. And this is a comment from Eurogamer

Did the measurements myself. The console is pretty large.

These images seem to misalign the USB port.

USB port is 12mm x 4.5mm - the image Sony released shows a USB port which measures 4mm x 1.5mm - ratio is correct this works out.

This means you get a size of 315mm x 75mm. This is excluding the stand. Verified this with other images released and seems on point. This pegs it just a cm taller than the Xbox Series X.

I think people may be confusing the USB type c port with the USB port. And using dis slots is not accurate as some may have larger and curved in slots - not all are equal (only the inside). I it much smaller than these images make out.

Sony are probably loving all this speculation. Then come out with the actual bit smaller than expected dimensions.

Do you really believe that?

Why extrapolate from the USB size when extrapolating from the disc drive is much easier and more accurate?

A CD, DVD and Blu-ray all have a diameter of exactly 12 cm, so the slot-in has to be AT LEAST 12 cm... probably ~12.3 cm for a bit wiggle room.

In the official PS5 pictures you can easily see that the console is a bit higher than 3x the slot-in:

3 x 12 = 36 cm

3 x 12.3 = 37 cm

So the console should be 37 - 39 cm high WITHOUT the stand, NOT 31 - 32 cm.

Last edited by Conina - on 12 June 2020

Yes. Much better looking than the series X.