By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

True, looks exaggerated to me. And this is a comment from Eurogamer

Did the measurements myself. The console is pretty large.

These images seem to misalign the USB port.

USB port is 12mm x 4.5mm - the image Sony released shows a USB port which measures 4mm x 1.5mm - ratio is correct this works out.

This means you get a size of 315mm x 75mm. This is excluding the stand. Verified this with other images released and seems on point. This pegs it just a cm taller than the Xbox Series X.

I think people may be confusing the USB type c port with the USB port. And using dis slots is not accurate as some may have larger and curved in slots - not all are equal (only the inside). I it much smaller than these images make out.

Sony are probably loving all this speculation. Then come out with the actual bit smaller than expected dimensions.

Do you really believe that?

Why extrapolate from the USB size when extrapolating from the disc drive is much easier and more accurate?

A CD, DVD and Blu-ray all have a diameter of exactly 12 cm, so the slot-in has to be AT LEAST 12 cm... probably ~12.3 cm for a bit wiggle room.

In the official PS5 pictures you can easily see that the console is a bit higher than 3x the slot-in:

3 x 12 = 36 cm

3 x 12.3 = 37 cm

So the console should be 37 - 39 cm high WITHOUT the stand, NOT 31 - 32 cm.

Makes sense, 37 cm tall vs 29.5 cm of ps4 pro is what that previous comparison comes to

Aligned by bottom left corner if laid flat.

That would make the wing span about 6.5 cm (width on the right)
The height from the bottom (if laid flat and supported on the right edge) 9.9 cm, and about 6.2 cm on the left.
(The XBox Series X is 15.1 x 15.1 x 30.1 )

You can't hide a ps5 behind a XBox Series X

Aligned by bottom left corner.

Both are monsters!

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 12 June 2020

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Mandalore76 said:

I didn't say it wouldn't be fine.  I was responding to the question posed by the OP regarding it's "looks".  Personally, I don't remember this many negative reactions regarding the look of the PS4, but I could be wrong.

I responded to this:

The top search recommendations on Google don't look promising

That suggests something needs to be done about said design and yes the PS4 had plenty of negative reactions to its design as well (most notably, it didn't look too different from the Xbox One and was simply..... a box). But, even if that weren't the case, the look of the device will hardly matter in the long run.

Actually all I remember was that people equated the PS4 to an eraser and the XBOne to a VCR.

CGI-Quality said:
Mandalore76 said:

I didn't say it wouldn't be fine.  I was responding to the question posed by the OP regarding it's "looks".  Personally, I don't remember this many negative reactions regarding the look of the PS4, but I could be wrong.

I responded to this:

The top search recommendations on Google don't look promising

That suggests something needs to be done about said design and yes the PS4 had plenty of negative reactions to its design as well (most notably, it didn't look too different from the Xbox One and was simply..... a box). But, even if that weren't the case, the look of the device will hardly matter in the long run.

Yes, "don't look promising" in terms of how many people Like or Dislike the console design, which was the question of the OP.  Being called too similar to other devices or look like a box are favorable reactions compared to what I've seen recently:

It's way too big. It's nice and artsy but is that what you really want in a console?
I really love the Xbox one X design and happy with what Microsoft did with XSX; functionality to have the best cooling solution.

The real question about the PS5 is will it be quiet?

Also, we really need to ask ourselves which next-gen console looks more like a Wifi router? My current router is the box look of the XSX. The next-gen design was inspired by Router's design it seems.

yvanjean said:

It's way too big. It's nice and artsy but is that what you really want in a console?
I really love the Xbox one X design and happy with what Microsoft did with XSX; functionality to have the best cooling solution.

The real question about the PS5 is will it be quiet?

Also, we really need to ask ourselves which next-gen console looks more like a Wifi router? My current router is the box look of the XSX. The next-gen design was inspired by Router's design it seems.

Its more of a form factor and form and function. Running the GPU at such high clocks will need a hefty cooling solution. Yet, they wanted to keep the formfactfor so that it can work just as well in an entertainment stack. So they had to go bigger (in this call taller) to accommodate the larger cooler and fan. Xbox Series X is stackable sideways but isn't designed really designed to.

In the end its a box, so I don't really care as long as its form doesn't compromise the function.

Around the Network

I like it but would prefer an all black version.  Getting a PS5 no matter what because I buy consoles based on “Games” and not how the System looks.  Can’t remember ever playing my PS4 because it looks great sitting in my entertainment center.

CGI-Quality said:

Lest we forget what the mock-ups looked like...

It's like a weird mutant hybrid of the PS5 and XSX.

When you look at it this way, it's a really ugly design.

One more comparison, if you just let gravity have its way

So about 9.9 cm high on the left, compared to 5.5 cm height of the ps4 pro.

Ps4 pro looks so small lol.

I'm 50/50 on it.

I really like the design of the digital only version. Symmetry is incredibly important when you're trying to be futuristic in your design, especially with the lights and the curves. The Xbox 360 and 360 Slim were pretty much perfect versions of that. PS5D looks pretty damn great when it's stood up, like an evolution of that great Xbox 360 design.

The disc-based version looks like the ugly stepchild. The awkward, ugly bump for the BD. The fact that it needs a stand to be left horizontal speaks volumes. I'm not the biggest fan of white consoles and a black version would have been much appreciated, mainly to fit in with the last 3 PlayStation consoles and other electronics around my TV.

... And it's fucking gigantic.

Meh. I'll probably pick up the digital only version, if they release one in black, but I'm in no rush at all to jump on board this time.