3 6 2.69%

2 1 0.45%

1 4 1.79%

Total:223

9.5 because there is no Silent Hills.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

When people think Switch is almost as powerful as PS4Pro because it can run The Witcher 3 don`t really expect them to see the day and night difference. My wife that doesn`t even like gaming can spot on seconds that a game wouldn`t be possible on PS4 but some of our veterans in VGC can`t see a difference.

Well, as many old gamers like me will say to you: we can spot the differences, but care a lot less about graphical advancement. Because we remember a lot of games that were hype for their graphics, but don't hold up too well today.

As an older gamer I always ask myself about the lasting value of a game. Will I still enjoy playing it 10-20 years down the line. That is why I have deep concerns about a game like Project Athios, which they failed to show me why it will be fun to play. On the other hand I am pretty sure, that Kena will be as fun to play in ten years as it is today.

That's why I don't care too much about the graphical downgrades of the Witcher on Switch. Because the game still retains what makes it great.

Sony had made a good presentation though, many games look like they can deliver, that includes Ratchet and Clank (I am not too much into these types of games and it looks too hectic for me, but it definitely feels like it will be fun for those who like these games) and Horizon (Sony's Zelda).

BTW: Many think Ratchet&Clank dimension moving is utilizing the SSD. I think the transition is too fast even for a good SSD. I think a lot of assets were preloaded into graphics RAM, which probably means PS5 has a lot of that.

I concern about the games I play today not that I will play it in 20 years, in 20 years I'll be playing other new games. And it may be your case but isn't of the bulk, because some have been saying they can't see difference, could be done on PS4 or that they are ok with PS2 graphics.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kyuu said:

8/10

The good:
- Excellent presentation format.
- Heaps of game announcements and exclusives.
- Astro's Playroom preloaded may prove brilliant for marketing the IP.
- Horizon 2 is living up to my graphics expectations.

The bad:
- No release dates/window announcements is somewhat concerning (apart from the Spider Man expansion thing which looked so PS4)
- Only Horizon screamed "NextGen" to me. Ratchet and Clank warp mechanics aren't possible on last gen systems but they seemed pretty gimmicky from what was shown.
- GT7 looked AWFUL. Those pop-ins...
- Most gameplay videos may just be some in-engine bullshit not entirely representative of the actual graphics.

The ugly:
- Lack of Silent Hill killed me inside... and yet I continue to believe :(
- Despite my major excitement for it, Demon's Souls doesn't look aesthetically faithful to the original.
- I'm indifferent to the console design.

All in all, possibly the best console reveal of all time, if mainly because console reveals are generally lackluster.

Rewatch on 4k, several of the AAA wouldn't be possible on PS4 without major cuts. But yes I agree Miles's SM looked a PS4 polished game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Kyuu said:

8/10

The good:
- Excellent presentation format.
- Heaps of game announcements and exclusives.
- Astro's Playroom preloaded may prove brilliant for marketing the IP.
- Horizon 2 is living up to my graphics expectations.

The bad:
- No release dates/window announcements is somewhat concerning (apart from the Spider Man expansion thing which looked so PS4)
- Only Horizon screamed "NextGen" to me. Ratchet and Clank warp mechanics aren't possible on last gen systems but they seemed pretty gimmicky from what was shown.
- GT7 looked AWFUL. Those pop-ins...
- Most gameplay videos may just be some in-engine bullshit not entirely representative of the actual graphics.

The ugly:
- Lack of Silent Hill killed me inside... and yet I continue to believe :(
- Despite my major excitement for it, Demon's Souls doesn't look aesthetically faithful to the original.
- I'm indifferent to the console design.

All in all, possibly the best console reveal of all time, if mainly because console reveals are generally lackluster.

Rewatch on 4k, several of the AAA wouldn't be possible on PS4 without major cuts. But yes I agree Miles's SM looked a PS4 polished game.

Watching in 4K did not change my mind that these games could not be done on the PS4.  We have seen game engine scale for decades on the PC.  Just adding more polycount doesn't mean these games could not be scaled down for the PS4.  If TLOU2 is any indication, then nothing shone outside ratchet and clank appear that its really dependent on the PS5 SSD.  Sony is coming out with a lot of games which is great but without any release window, I am not all that hyped for their big exclusives.  I do not expect to see them for another 2 years at the least and thus not in a hurry from what was shone to purchase a PS5 on release.  I can easily hold out for 2 years until the big guns show up.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Well, as many old gamers like me will say to you: we can spot the differences, but care a lot less about graphical advancement. Because we remember a lot of games that were hype for their graphics, but don't hold up too well today.

As an older gamer I always ask myself about the lasting value of a game. Will I still enjoy playing it 10-20 years down the line. That is why I have deep concerns about a game like Project Athios, which they failed to show me why it will be fun to play. On the other hand I am pretty sure, that Kena will be as fun to play in ten years as it is today.

That's why I don't care too much about the graphical downgrades of the Witcher on Switch. Because the game still retains what makes it great.

Sony had made a good presentation though, many games look like they can deliver, that includes Ratchet and Clank (I am not too much into these types of games and it looks too hectic for me, but it definitely feels like it will be fun for those who like these games) and Horizon (Sony's Zelda).

BTW: Many think Ratchet&Clank dimension moving is utilizing the SSD. I think the transition is too fast even for a good SSD. I think a lot of assets were preloaded into graphics RAM, which probably means PS5 has a lot of that.

I concern about the games I play today not that I will play it in 20 years, in 20 years I'll be playing other new games. And it may be your case but isn't of the bulk, because some have been saying they can't see difference, could be done on PS4 or that they are ok with PS2 graphics.

A good game is still a good game later. If it isn't good anymore later on, maybe it wasn't that great to begin with.

If we understand gaming as an art-form (and I do), then we should look for lasting value. Great paintings were still great even with photography coming along. The original Jurassic Park from Spielberg is still seen as the best of the series, even if it became more dated on technical merits. We can make the distinction between lasting value and flashy attention creating tricks in other art forms, why should we not apply the same to games?

That doesn't mean we should ignore technical progress. We use and appreciate technical progress in movies too for instance. But still we can decide if a movie has substance and the new technical possibilities are used well to improve the movie, or if that movie is only a flashy tech-demo.

EDIT: Luckily the presentation showed these sort of games, as I said before Kena, Ratchet&Clank and Horizon 2 seem to deliver on more meat than just flashy graphics, at least judging by what was presented through trailers.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 12 June 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

Grasping at straws?

More like people being slapped by the power of the optimization after claiming that this highly demand game would be impossible or the cutbacks would be so dreadful that would be a totally different game on the less powerful hw

Base PS4:

Switch docked:

Switch does run it, but its noticable that the textures and resolutions are drastically lowered.
Also this is one of the better pictures (for switch) from the eurogamer compairison.

PS4:

Switch docked:

I do have two eyes. I can see the differences, I can see the cuts that were made to make the game run on switch, I can see that PS4 looks better. It just don't bothers me. Shocked?

Probably, I don't have such limited perspective to think this is huge as you trying to make it be. I saw worse things during 7 gen compared to PC. I do have this game on the PC running at high settings but I still look at the Switch version and can be ok with it.

I could show a image of the game running on PC at high settings and show the cutbacks on PS4,  but what's the point? Do you see people doing that?

And yet you are still using pre patch images smh

Now you tell me, did you missed my point or you actually think these images are showing 2 different games?

I really wish I could find the first thread of the Witcher coming to switch when it was just a rumour to see what was everybody take on this news

Last edited by 160rmf - on 12 June 2020

We reap what we sow

I wished for more long demo playthroughs to really show off the games. R&C did well enough in this department, but Spiderman, Horizon, GT7, AstroBot - I guess we will see those vertical slices soon enough.
There were many stand out moments for me. AstroBot Rescue Mission was one of the best games I ever played. And this one now is a pack in! Amazing!
I sure hope that Horizon 2 has better acting (protagonist was good already) and writing. Concept had so much potential but delivery fell on its face for me. Story was a mix between boring and confusing. Just holograms and almost no meaningful interactions between any charakters. Good thing the gameplay/combat was solid. But I'm looking forward to part two based off of the trailer.
Design looks bold, albeit in need of getting used to. I like it fine and will like it more as time goes on. Will surely buy, but this was set in stone before the event aswell.
9/10

JRPGfan said:
160rmf said:

Grasping at straws?

More like people being slapped by the power of the optimization after claiming that this highly demand game would be impossible or the cutbacks would be so dreadful that would be a totally different game on the less powerful hw

Base PS4:

Switch docked:

Switch does run it, but its noticable that the textures and resolutions are drastically lowered.
Also this is one of the better pictures (for switch) from the eurogamer compairison.

PS4:

Switch docked:

Excuse me but, in another thread I showed you exactly what was wrong with you posting these screenshots, since you are showing an older version and the game has been updated and patched considerably. Why are you continuing this malicious deception?

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9155016

I'd almost want to get a mod involved with this cause this is close baiting my friend.

160rmf said:
JRPGfan said:

PS4:

Switch docked:

I do have two eyes. I can see the differences, I can see the cuts that were made to make the game run on switch, I can see that PS4 looks better. It just don't bothers me. Shocked?

Now you tell me, did you missed my point or you actually think these images are showing 2 different games?

I really wish I could find the first thread of the Witcher coming to switch when it was just a rumour to see what was everybody take on this news

Sometimes the differnces are so big, they look like differnt games, or the Switch like a game from a earlier generation.
Yes.

However can we drop this now? its off topic.

OTBWY said:
JRPGfan said:

Excuse me but, in another thread I showed you exactly what was wrong with you posting these screenshots, since you are showing an older version and the game has been updated and patched considerably. Why are you continuing this malicious deception?

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9155016

I'd almost want to get a mod involved with this cause this is close baiting my friend.

Because when I look for a compairions via a quick google search, I stumble upon eurogamer and use that since their a crediable source.

If this is baiting, why do people keep comeing into non nintendo threads, and talking up or bragging about Witcher 3 running on the switch like its some miracle or that there arnt downgrades? Thats not baiting?