By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Series milking old games and dependant on nostalgia way too much ?

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Funny thing, a friend of mine that is a big Nintendo fan even while owning all consoles have his favorite console as WiiU.

I believe it.  It was honestly a much better system than people give it credit for.  I also have around 40 physical games for it.  EA may have only released 1 Madden NFL on it as I said, but my friend and I still play it to this day (well up until the stay home orders the pandemic brought on).  Having a touch screen that I can draw hot routes on for my receivers at the line of scrimmage was an amazing innovation, and you can do the same with making changes on the fly to blitz packages or coverage on defense.  Aside from the gaming aspect, I also used the Wii U gamepad as my default web browser for years.  Larger screen than my phone, and easier to just pick-up the Gamepad from right next to me to look something up than to get up and turn on my PC and pull out my keyboard and mouse.  It was also my go to for Netflix and YouTube for a long time before I upgraded to a smart TV a couple of years ago.  Some of the Gamepad lives on in the form factor & touchscreen utility of the Nintendo Switch in portable mode, so I'm glad that Nintendo managed to successfully merge the two states (console & portable).  

There is so many good stuff you can do with the touchscreen on WiiU (or touchpad on PS4) but because of it not being industry standard almost no one cared to use that is sad. And there haven't been a NHL game for Switch yet? Because I believe similar stuff could be done on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

I believe it.  It was honestly a much better system than people give it credit for.  I also have around 40 physical games for it.  EA may have only released 1 Madden NFL on it as I said, but my friend and I still play it to this day (well up until the stay home orders the pandemic brought on).  Having a touch screen that I can draw hot routes on for my receivers at the line of scrimmage was an amazing innovation, and you can do the same with making changes on the fly to blitz packages or coverage on defense.  Aside from the gaming aspect, I also used the Wii U gamepad as my default web browser for years.  Larger screen than my phone, and easier to just pick-up the Gamepad from right next to me to look something up than to get up and turn on my PC and pull out my keyboard and mouse.  It was also my go to for Netflix and YouTube for a long time before I upgraded to a smart TV a couple of years ago.  Some of the Gamepad lives on in the form factor & touchscreen utility of the Nintendo Switch in portable mode, so I'm glad that Nintendo managed to successfully merge the two states (console & portable).  

There is so many good stuff you can do with the touchscreen on WiiU (or touchpad on PS4) but because of it not being industry standard almost no one cared to use that is sad. And there haven't been a NHL game for Switch yet? Because I believe similar stuff could be done on it.

No NHL, no Madden...  EA limited their support to a couple of FIFA releases and that was it.  It's a shame, because the 2K ports of NBA have been excellent on the Switch.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

No NHL, no Madden...  EA limited their support to a couple of FIFA releases and that was it.  It's a shame, because the 2K ports of NBA have been excellent on the Switch.

That is sad even if understandable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Eh, I'm not sure how understandable it is.  If these sales #'s warrant ports to PS4 and Xbox One, why not the Switch?

NHL 18 (PS4) - 0.57m
NHL 18 (XBO) - 0.39m

NHL 19 (PS4) - 0.43m
NHL 19 (XBO) - 0.29m

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Eh, I'm not sure how understandable it is.  If these sales #'s warrant ports to PS4 and Xbox One, why not the Switch?

NHL 18 (PS4) - 0.57m
NHL 18 (XBO) - 0.39m

NHL 19 (PS4) - 0.43m
NHL 19 (XBO) - 0.29m

They must be expecting a lot lower than that.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

NHL 18 (PS4) - 0.57m
NHL 18 (XBO) - 0.39m

NHL 19 (PS4) - 0.43m
NHL 19 (XBO) - 0.29m

Lol, could be.  But, it's hard for me to find reasons to defend a 3rd Party software company completely ignoring a platform with closing in on a 60m userbase in just over 3 years.  They tell their investors "Switch owners can buy our games elsewhere".  That's about as anti-consumer friendly a stance that a 3rd Party could have.  Yes, I can buy EA sports games on my Xbox One.  I just choose not to.

Anyway, it's not like Nintendo is the only platform EA has ever tried to sabotage.  Besides the Switch and the Wii U, they had previously done it to Sega's Dreamcast.  

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Lol, could be.  But, it's hard for me to find reasons to defend a 3rd Party software company completely ignoring a platform with closing in on a 60m userbase in just over 3 years.  They tell their investors "Switch owners can buy our games elsewhere".  That's about as anti-consumer friendly a stance that a 3rd Party could have.  Yes, I can buy EA sports games on my Xbox One.  I just choose not to.

Anyway, it's not like Nintendo is the only platform EA has ever tried to sabotage.  Besides the Switch and the Wii U, they had previously done it to Sega's Dreamcast.  

Well not defending, just saying I can understand why they do it. But certainly they could put more effort.

The fact is that a modern AAA title is such an undertaking to create now and it is getting harder and harder to wow people with graphics and the technical capabilities of gaming. How long were we waiting for BotW or the FFVII remake? How long will it take for us to see the next installments that take things to the next level (eg. VR)? What are game companies going to do to fill these dry spells during the production cycles for the new AAA titles? Nostalgia sells and it also doesn't hurt that a lot of the best ideas and games have already been made. For me, when I play these old games it isn't just nostalgia, many of the games I am experiencing for the first time. That said, there is something deeply appealing about games that were made by small teams in days when designers could take risks with new ideas. Sometimes, overproducing art takes something from the experience.

Nostalgia alone does not sell games.
More than any Sony games,Nintendo's ips's always hit me with nostalgia but on top of that most of them are just very well made good games.

Signalstar said:
DonFerrari said:
So your problem with FF is that they remastered the games or put ports to newer system?
Because the only remake so far is for FFVII and would grant you a lot of us would want they to remake FFIX and some others.
If you want to talk about milking that title is for Nintendo and the stable of Mario games. Most of them wouldn't have anything to do with Mario World but using the mascot they can get additional sales and so they do it.

Several Final Fantasy games were remade for the DS and Final Fantasy I and II were remade for the PSP.

Every single FF should be available on modern platforms so I have no issue with that. When you have a brand as powerful as FF it's almost your responsible to uphold the history.

The earlier remasters/remakes on the DS/PSP were to introduce those original games to an audience who had never experienced them. I actually wish they continued remaking 2D games in PS1 Sprite style. 

FFVIIR is the exception here. I hope they leave the remakes full budget remakes to that alone (the most iconic game) and continue to invest more heavily in new stories