By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Series milking old games and dependant on nostalgia way too much ?

DragonRouge said:
padib said:

Almost everything is dependent on nostalgia today, on all forms of media. The reason for this is to maximize profit.

Few big companies today develop for the purpose of creating something artistic. Most will go after a sure-fire hit, and generally the easiest way to do that is to fall back on trusted IPs. The problem in the end result is that the new content often lacks soul. This has hit movies much harder than video games, but it is happening with games.

Series like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and so on sure will offer new entries the latest graphics, but are their games truly captivating?

To me, the company that stands out as one that changes the formula and takes risks is Nintendo. While they often fall back on tested IPs, they almost always change the formula in a way that makes the games very creative and new. And then they also create many new IPs, the latest one I believe is Ring Fit Adventure.

Bolded: You got this backwards, all of those franchises are actually better at changing up the formula than Nintendo, every main Metal Gear game has added something to formula, final fantasy always changes up the battle system and as for resident evil ( cof cof.. RE4, RE5 and last but not least RE7 all would like to have a word with you.)

And Nintendo is the most risk averse gaming company out there. Look at the Wii ¿Ever wonderer why it was basically a gamecube with motion controls? If they were about the risk, the Wii would've been an HD capable console, it is not because if it had flopped, they would had made some money out of it.

Same story with the WiiU, use the Wii brand to make it sell, didn't work and dropped it faster than a red hot ball of iron on their hands.

Also, look at how they manage their IPs, they are very creative, but also super conservative.

What?  The Wii U may have been Nintendo's biggest home console flop in terms of sales, but it wasn't for lack of trying on their part.  Poor branding and poor advertising early on, yes.  But "dropped like a red hot ball of iron" is being disingenuous.  

System Release:  November 18, 2012
Discontinued:      January 31, 2017

Some notable Nintendo developed or published games released in 3 year or later:

Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (2015)
Splatoon (2015) released in 3rd year of console's life as a brand new IP and launched a hugely successful new franchise.
Super Mario Maker was released September 10, 2015 and I remember a huge effort to push it with Wii U bundles in the 2015 holiday season.
Yoshi's Wooly World (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (2016)
Star Fox Guard/Zero (2016)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (2016)
Paper Mario Color Splash (2016)
The Legend of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild (2017) released 2 months after the console was officially discontinued. 

Nintendo also made an effort to collaborate with other devs to share IP's such as with Koei Tecmo on Hyrule Warriors and with Atlus on the aforementioned Tokyo Mirage Sessions.  They also made an effort to publish games for other devs to bring exclusives to the Wii U at the time such as The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

3rd Party developers may have dumped out of releasing games for the Wii U a year into its lifespan (EA never released another Madden NFL on the system after Madden 13 in 2012), but implying that Nintendo abandoned it just as quickly is highly selective memory.  

4 years and 3 months isn't a long console life by any stretch, but there have been worse.  The Dreamcast released in NA on September 9, 1999 and was discontinued on March 31, 2001.  That's less than 2 years (still less than 3 years even if you had the 1998 Japan release).

Sony may not have officially discontinued the PlayStation Vita until 2019, but what efforts did they make to support the system beyond mid-2014 (two years into the systems life)?

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DragonRouge said:

Bolded: You got this backwards, all of those franchises are actually better at changing up the formula than Nintendo, every main Metal Gear game has added something to formula, final fantasy always changes up the battle system and as for resident evil ( cof cof.. RE4, RE5 and last but not least RE7 all would like to have a word with you.)

And Nintendo is the most risk averse gaming company out there. Look at the Wii ¿Ever wonderer why it was basically a gamecube with motion controls? If they were about the risk, the Wii would've been an HD capable console, it is not because if it had flopped, they would had made some money out of it.

Same story with the WiiU, use the Wii brand to make it sell, didn't work and dropped it faster than a red hot ball of iron on their hands.

Also, look at how they manage their IPs, they are very creative, but also super conservative.

What?  The Wii U may have been Nintendo's biggest home console flop in terms of sales, but it wasn't for lack of trying on their part.  Poor branding and poor advertising early on, yes.  But "dropped like a red hot ball of iron" is being disingenuous.  

Splatoon (2015) released in 3rd year of console's life as a brand new IP and launched a hugely successful new franchise.
Super Mario Maker was released September 10, 2015 and I remember a huge effort to push it with Wii U bundles in the 2015 holiday season.
The Legend of Zelda:  Breath of the Wild (2017) released 2 months after the console was officially discontinued. 

Nintendo also made an effort to collaborate with other devs to share IP's such as with Koei Tecmo on Hyrule Warriors and with Atlus on the aforementioned Tokyo Mirage Sessions.  They also made an effort to publish games for other devs to bring exclusives to the Wii U at the time such as The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

3rd Party developers may have dumped out of releasing games for the Wii U a year into its lifespan (EA never released another Madden NFL on the system after Madden 13 in 2012), but implying that Nintendo abandoned it just as quickly is highly selective memory.  

4 years and 3 months isn't a long console life by any stretch, but there have been worse.  The Dreamcast released in NA on September 9, 1999 and was discontinued on March 31, 2001.  That's less than 2 years (still less than 3 years even if you had the 1998 Japan release).

Sony may not have officially discontinued the PlayStation Vita until 2019, but what efforts did they make to support the system beyond mid-2014 (two years into the systems life)?

Funny thing, a friend of mine that is a big Nintendo fan even while owning all consoles have his favorite console as WiiU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

fun fact a friend of mine dropped HZD after 30 mins because it reminded him of far cry primal

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

ArchangelMadzz said:
JRPGfan said:

TLOU isnt old enough to be dependant on nostaliga.
Its just a good game that getting a 2nd installment.
So it belongs on that list too.

Plus I feel like its missplaced to claim that it hasnt seen drastic changes and improvements from 1st game to the 2nd.
So its not like its "stuck" in its ways, never improveing and reliant on nostalgia to sell.

Hell I'd argue that God of War deserves to be on that list too.
New game is totally differnt from the older ones, Sony realised they couldnt just keep going in the same way, and decided to change things up.

I was debating God of War. It's a completely different game to the previous ones, but it can still be nostalgic in the sense of the character, the voice, backstory etc.

The voice? GoW(2018) has a new voice actor for Kratos.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I was debating God of War. It's a completely different game to the previous ones, but it can still be nostalgic in the sense of the character, the voice, backstory etc.

The wrestler that died is the new or old kratos voice?

https://gamerant.com/wwe-star-shad-gaspard-died-kratos-mocap/

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I believe that wrestler was the body figure of the new Kratos and had no part in any of his voice.

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

I believe that wrestler was the body figure of the new Kratos and had no part in any of his voice.

Understood, still that was a sad death. Haven't seem SSM putting some condolescence message for him =[

DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

Understood, still that was a sad death. Haven't seem SSM putting some condolescence message for him =[

Yea it was a very sad but heroic death.  Very unfortunate :(

Shadow1980 said:
Blame capitalism. Profit is king, and nostalgia sells. Every single thing a corporation does is purely an economical calculation. That's all there is to it. Big publishers always want to have something proven and reliable to keep generating money. That's not to say they won't try new things. They do, and sometimes it works out for them. Destiny and Horizon Zero Dawn are the two best selling new IPs this generation. But how many other new IPs don't become profitable? Game development is an expensive endeavor, and that makes spending all that money on something unproven a big risk, and most large corporations are extremely risk-averse.

I agree.  It's not only in the video game industry but also the movie/TV show industry.  Sure there are some new movies/shows but then most of the others are reboots, sequels, prequels, based off a book, comic book, a true story, a person etc...

Mandalore76 said:

It's curious how the games you listed released all between 2015 and 2016 (with the exception of BOTW). Games don't take two or three years to make. Most of them must had been greenlit early into the WiiU's cycle o even before it. The only 2017 title in there, was most likely pushed back to be launched along the Switch.

Remember the game drought? I still think that "dropping it like a red hot ball of iron" is an accurate description.

Bolded: I'm not sure what this has got to do with anything, but yeah, Sony dropped the Vita as if it was a leper.