By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Series milking old games and dependant on nostalgia way too much ?

padib said:

Almost everything is dependent on nostalgia today, on all forms of media. The reason for this is to maximize profit.

Few big companies today develop for the purpose of creating something artistic. Most will go after a sure-fire hit, and generally the easiest way to do that is to fall back on trusted IPs. The problem in the end result is that the new content often lacks soul. This has hit movies much harder than video games, but it is happening with games.

Series like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and so on sure will offer new entries the latest graphics, but are their games truly captivating?

To me, the company that stands out as one that changes the formula and takes risks is Nintendo. While they often fall back on tested IPs, they almost always change the formula in a way that makes the games very creative and new. And then they also create many new IPs, the latest one I believe is Ring Fit Adventure.

Bolded: You got this backwards, all of those franchises are actually better at changing up the formula than Nintendo, every main Metal Gear game has added something to formula, final fantasy always changes up the battle system and as for resident evil ( cof cof.. RE4, RE5 and last but not least RE7 all would like to have a word with you.)

And Nintendo is the most risk averse gaming company out there. Look at the Wii ¿Ever wonderer why it was basically a gamecube with motion controls? If they were about the risk, the Wii would've been an HD capable console, it is not because if it had flopped, they would had made some money out of it.

Same story with the WiiU, use the Wii brand to make it sell, didn't work and dropped it faster than a red hot ball of iron on their hands.

Also, look at how they manage their IPs, they are very creative, but also super conservative.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
DonFerrari said:
So your problem with FF is that they remastered the games or put ports to newer system?
Because the only remake so far is for FFVII and would grant you a lot of us would want they to remake FFIX and some others.
If you want to talk about milking that title is for Nintendo and the stable of Mario games. Most of them wouldn't have anything to do with Mario World but using the mascot they can get additional sales and so they do it.

Several Final Fantasy games were remade for the DS and Final Fantasy I and II were remade for the PSP.

Agree with you, but he was complaining about the remasters on PS4 and Switch. But yep since I don't play much on the go I forgot about the remakes on the portable even if I have a copy of II on PSP.

RE4 is a much big offender in this front =p after promissed to be exclusive to GC was ported to PS2, then remastered for PS3 and X360, then remastered for PS4 and X1, and probably will be for PS5 XSX.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JapaneseGamesLover said:

What other games series are dependant on nostalgia ?

2D mario.... and to a lesser degree pokemon.
Games were the fans are almost begging for more and changes to the series.

DaBofferbrauer2 said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

What other games series are dependant on nostalgia ?

Let's make it shorter: Tell me a good, totally new game that doesn't delve on and into nostalgia at some point or in some form?

Days Gone

Ghosts of Tsushima IF the reviews are good

Someone already said Horizon: Zero Dawn. 

Control

I assume you're only referring to recently new games so I won't include things like TLOU and many more.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The ones mentioning Nintendo are always the ones that barely play Nintendo games. Theres a difference between being dependent on nostalgia and using nostalgia as fan service. If Nintendo were only dependent on nostalgia, then every console they made would be a success since people would only be looking for stuff from their past.

If anything too many gamers depend on nostalgia and what they are used to. That's why the PS controller has barely changed in 25 years or consoles these days need to do way more than just play games on a TV.

Nostalgia can help get you a few more sales, but without innovation and creativity, it means pretty much nothing in the long run.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
DaBofferbrauer2 said:

Let's make it shorter: Tell me a good, totally new game that doesn't delve on and into nostalgia at some point or in some form?

Days Gone

Control

I assume you're only referring to recently new games so I won't include things like TLOU and many more.

TLOU isnt old enough to be dependant on nostaliga.
Its just a good game that getting a 2nd installment.
So it belongs on that list too.

Plus I feel like its missplaced to claim that it hasnt seen drastic changes and improvements from 1st game to the 2nd.
So its not like its "stuck" in its ways, never improveing and reliant on nostalgia to sell.

Hell I'd argue that God of War deserves to be on that list too.
New game is totally differnt from the older ones, Sony realised they couldnt just keep going in the same way, and decided to change things up.

i agree for once remakes and remasters are bad period

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

KLXVER said:

The ones mentioning Nintendo are always the ones that barely play Nintendo games. Theres a difference between being dependent on nostalgia and using nostalgia as fan service. If Nintendo were only dependent on nostalgia, then every console they made would be a success since people would only be looking for stuff from their past.

If anything too many gamers depend on nostalgia and what they are used to. That's why the PS controller has barely changed in 25 years or consoles these days need to do way more than just play games on a TV.

Nostalgia can help get you a few more sales, but without innovation and creativity, it means pretty much nothing in the long run.

Nintendo does have Innovation and creativity.
Zelda BoTW and Mario odyssey, ARMs, come to mind.

2D mario and Pokemon havnt seen innovation & creativity in a long time.
Its why DKC is now a better 2D platformer than Mario.

JRPGfan said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo does have Innovation and creativity.
Zelda BoTW and Mario odyssey, come to mind.

2D mario and Pokemon havnt seen innovation & creativity in a long time.

So nothing innovative or creative about Super Mario Maker? That's the 2D Mario now. Sure there were 4 2D Marios 8-14 years ago, but they stopped making them. So how are they dependent on nostalgia?

Pokémon isn't made by Nintendo. So I don't know how much say they have in that franchise. I would love to see a studio within Nintendo get a chance to make one.

JRPGfan said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Days Gone

Control

TLOU isnt old enough to be dependant on nostaliga.
Its just a good game that getting a 2nd installment.
So it belongs on that list too.

Plus I feel like its missplaced to claim that it hasnt seen drastic changes and improvements from 1st game to the 2nd.
So its not like its "stuck" in its ways, never improveing and reliant on nostalgia to sell.

Hell I'd argue that God of War deserves to be on that list too.
New game is totally differnt from the older ones, Sony realised they couldnt just keep going in the same way, and decided to change things up.

I was debating God of War. It's a completely different game to the previous ones, but it can still be nostalgic in the sense of the character, the voice, backstory etc.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'