By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the most disappointing game system you've ever owned?

Turbo graphics 16

I thought I was upgrading from my SNES to something bold and unprecedented. In reality I was having a mistress. It was extremely fun but took all my money and fell apart. I ended up back in the arms of my Nintendo.

I’ve been disappointed with every Sony console except PS3. But I never went in with any hopes so it wasn’t a bad let down. Nothing wrong with their library, just drank the wrong koolaid and brainwashed Myself to think Sony Computer Games were inferior. I feel like a recovering racist. Sad story but i can’t help who I am. Only who I hope to be.

Around the Network

The Game Cube, i just hated the controller and however much i tried, i couldn't continue playing RE4 which i was very excited for.

PSP, handhelds are just not for me.

Second would be Switch.It had the gotg with Breath of the wild, but after Mario I have only touched it a few times to play Mario maker 2 and Tetris99 while the left stick has a nasty drift to it. At least my kids occasionally play with it. I played way more on the WiiU and all those before it.

Vita. Still love the hardware but the games didn't impress me and I soon realised I have zero interest in portable gaming

The original DS. Probably because I got my DS secondhand just a year before I got my 3DS. I was a big Pokemon fan, but Pokemon Platinum just failed to grab my attention like Emerald had. It ended up being forgetable, I still use my Gameboy Advance SP for my gameboy games and my New 3DS for DS and 3DS titles.

Around the Network

Probably Wii. Played some party games with my family/friends..which prompted me to buy one but I couldn't get over the default controls and low-fi hardware. Got rid of it fast.

Dreamcast, because it was EOL too soon. That said, it was great for what games did come out for it. Still have it.
Wii U for the more standard reasons of being disappointed.

The PSP kinda by default. It was still a good handheld, but I've never been that big on handhelds and since I've liked all my other consoles more it's the least good out of the group I guess.

Cerebralbore101 said:

What's the most disappointing game system you've ever owned? Did you keep it? Did you trade it in? What games did you have on it?

I hate to say this but Nintendo 64. I owned one as a kid and loved it. Then I bought one to collect for six years ago. The system just has not held up well over the years. Many games on the system like Goldeneye, and Turok aren't classics. They're just old. I can't get over the N64 fog when playing games like Rogue Squadron. True classics for the system like Zelda, or Starfox were remade for another system ages ago. Collectathon platformers just kind of all feel the same. IMO it was a revolutionary system for it's time, but N64 just has not aged all that well.

I wound up trading it in eventually.

I had...

Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Turok
Turok 2
Banjo Kazooie (The best collectathon platformer IMO)
Banjo Tooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Super Mario 64
DK 64
Rogue Squadron
Resident Evil 2
Ocarina of Time (20 FPS has not aged well. Get the 3DS version!)
Majora's Mask
Excitebike 64
Starfox 64
Battletanks
Battletanks 2

Did you have the N64 Expansion Pak in the system?  I remember a huge improvement in the graphical detail of Rogue Squadron after getting the Expansion Pak.

The Atari 7800 by far was my most disappointing system.  The system released around the same time as the NES, but felt like a dinosaur by comparison.  I remember having Pole Position 2, but not much else.  The following Christmas, my family bought an NES and The Legend of Zelda and never looked back.  Here's side by side comparisons of Double Dragon, Ikari Warriors, and Rampage on the Atari 7800 (left) and the NES (right):

For me, it's a bit complicated when it comes to the Wii U.

On the one hand, I can't honestly say I didn't get my money's worth out of it, as in spite of its awful droughts I did thoroughly enjoy games like BOTW, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, and Splatoon.

However, had I known then what I know now, I could have skipped it entirely and played almost all its worthwhile games on the Switch.

And coming after the Wii, which is my #2 best system of all time, it was a massive step down.