By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] Final Fantasy 16 battle to be Action RPG like Dragon Dogma or Devil Maycry 5 ?

Tagged games:

The complete remake of FFXIV, FFXV and FF7R makes me pretty damn hopefull that whatever they choose, it will be a good game

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Nah, 8, 9 & 10 are peak.

13 is average, but not bad per se, while 12 is the worst.

I hater the 12 when I first played but gave a second chance on the remaster and man it was good, a lot better than X.

BraLoD said:

VII is pretty good, it sure has its problems like the story being all over the place for no good reason, but it's a great game.

IX is the only FF I loved from the very start, all others had to prove themselves (or not) in the go, but IX is a joy from the second you hear the first sound before you even play it.

XII is still my fav, tho.

The espers aquisition and usage (and Zodiark fight), quickning/concurrences, the license board, the gambit system, the judges, the music, the story, Fran, the guild hunts, the amount of content... it's just ridiculously good.

Even as I didn't like it from the get go like IX, and XII not having the best main char by far, XII is still undoubtly the best FF I have ever played.

At first I hated XII, I just liked the idea of no random encounter (makes a lot more sense since monster don't just appear out of nothing) but the gameplay and confusing upgrade system lost me. But I gave a shot on the remaster after seeing some praises for XII and loved it, perhaps because of internet I understood the game better and was able to like it.

Yeah, i have the same experience with 12, i look down and even  despise when it first came out. It has different vibe compared to the previous FF games where it has Yoshitaka Amano and Hironobu style. But then again the departure from the old classic turn based into an action  tactical turn based made the game enjoyable and fun, or  interesting.

The problem is the story it  just to short and lack of grandeur and less majestic feeling in term world setting and fantasy. It also has Star Wars Vibe. But i do love the political story , it just it's not to Fantasy compared to FF 10 and the rest. 

Yeah the battle is good it keep the RPG elemnet of tactic, turn based, but at the same time the option to move around and freedom 

This may not be FFXVI as it's rumoured the are two FF related projects with the other being what Versus intended to be which is what he may be working on.

Shadow1980 said:
gergroy said:
Doesn’t surprise me, square seems to have a strong dislike for rpgs these days... if I still cared about any of their games I would be upset, but they have released nothing but garbage for ages. They already lost me as a customer.

"Garbage" seems a bit harsh and could be construed as a bit inflammatory. I understand not liking a game, but, y'know... phrasing (that goes for others making "garbage" comments). If I may ask, what specifically do you not like?

Personally, I haven't much cared for a mainline FF game after FFX. I've never understood the industry aversion to turn-based combat over the past 15 years. FFXIII moved away from it with the paradigm system while not quite moving to action-based. Once you got the hang of it there was a certain groove to it, but I preferred the old ATB system. But FFXV failed to hold my interest. The fully action-based combat just felt like a bunch of haphazard thrashing around, and I didn't like that you couldn't control the other party members (I understand they changed the latter a bit in a later update, but I still haven't finished the game and haven't touched in something like a year and a half).

But I thought FFVIIR's hybrid action/ATB system that allowed you to quickly toggle between party members was a good compromise, and I've been enjoying that game so far. I will always prefer the slower, more methodical menu-based combat of old-school FF, but if Final Fantasy is going to remain action-oriented, I'd prefer they stick with the FFVIIR system. But Square-Enix does always feel a need to reinvent the wheel with every game, so I doubt it. Hopefully the combat in FFXVI is better than in XV, but I'll try the demo first (if there is one) before I actually decide whether to buy it.

vivster said:
Xxain said:

Based on what? Nothing has been shown. 

Based on the thread title. If the next game actually goes for full action combat it has a very good chance to be worse than the second worst FF game ever made.

Just saying, I already predicted that FFXV is gonna be garbage over a year before its release and I was right.

Just for being an full action battle system? It wont be, if you read actual article these tweets are based on, his job is perfect the action elements in SE's action rpg battle systems. Hollygamers thread does not reflect what was actual said. I want to ignore that though.

Just for being a full action battle system? 

BraLoD said:

The main reason I didn't like XII from the start was the battle system, as when you just start the game the gambits are quite confusing and limited in usage.

But after you understand it, it's amazing. It's brilliant, actually.

They give you full control of a party in real time, with the ability to manually intervene on anything at any point, and mix action, strategy and control the changes of pacing in combat at any time.

I also can't stress enough how much I like those guild hunts, the idea of going out to hunt menacing monsters that will only appear when you have the right info was so good. The towns in XII are also so cool.

FF12 is a mix of action, turn based, strategy, and MMO rpgs all into a single game.

Everything about XII is asthetically charming too, from the characters voices to the story itself.

I can't understand why it's not one of the most well regarded games (not only FF) out there, it's magic.

And even as yeah, Vaan is pretty forgetable, he also doesn't make the game any harm either.

XII is my favorite Final Fantasy after VII. I pre-ordered it in 2006 and took a paid day off on launch day. Played it all night. So good. I like the Ivalice setting from Tactics and I wish Yasumi Matsuno had been made head of the Final Fantasy franchise instead of burning out halfway through production and leaving. The team did a good job on finishing it though. And the soundtrack is great.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I honestly don't see FF ever going back to turn based. Turn based RPG popularity just isn't what it used to be, most people seem to prefer action RPG's. I hope this guy is doing FF16, I'd much rather have DMC or Dragon's Dogma like combat than Souls-like combat like that one FF16 rumor.

First off it was Souls combined with FFXV.

Final Fantasy will not, and should not, ever go back to a turn based battle system. It is the anti to current design focus of entire AAA industry. Final Fantasy is a franchise that has always taken pride in the fact that it is not just setting the bar for RPG's, but for the entire industry. That is what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy! The minute Square Enix moves alway from that is when Final Fantasy will truly die. Turn Based system lost their appeal when western developers took control of the industry and for the first time set that standard in regards to genres.  Japanese focus genres (platformers, turnbased, fighters) except for popular ones went dormant. Every gen has its popular genres and this is simulated open world games .. turn based clashes with that

Well, FF16 possibly being action based is not shocking at all, though I don't think this necessarily means that it will play like either DMC5 or DD, I can see it having some influence from them,  but SE usually do their own thing with battle systems.

HollyGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

I hater the 12 when I first played but gave a second chance on the remaster and man it was good, a lot better than X.

At first I hated XII, I just liked the idea of no random encounter (makes a lot more sense since monster don't just appear out of nothing) but the gameplay and confusing upgrade system lost me. But I gave a shot on the remaster after seeing some praises for XII and loved it, perhaps because of internet I understood the game better and was able to like it.

Yeah, i have the same experience with 12, i look down and even  despise when it first came out. It has different vibe compared to the previous FF games where it has Yoshitaka Amano and Hironobu style. But then again the departure from the old classic turn based into an action  tactical turn based made the game enjoyable and fun, or  interesting.

The problem is the story it  just to short and lack of grandeur and less majestic feeling in term world setting and fantasy. It also has Star Wars Vibe. But i do love the political story , it just it's not to Fantasy compared to FF 10 and the rest. 

Yeah the battle is good it keep the RPG elemnet of tactic, turn based, but at the same time the option to move around and freedom 

Very different vibe, mainly going from photorealistic tries on IX and X to cartonist, from that I already took prejudice against it.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

The main reason I didn't like XII from the start was the battle system, as when you just start the game the gambits are quite confusing and limited in usage.

But after you understand it, it's amazing. It's brilliant, actually.

They give you full control of a party in real time, with the ability to manually intervene on anything at any point, and mix action, strategy and control the changes of pacing in combat at any time.

I also can't stress enough how much I like those guild hunts, the idea of going out to hunt menacing monsters that will only appear when you have the right info was so good. The towns in XII are also so cool.

FF12 is a mix of action, turn based, strategy, and MMO rpgs all into a single game.

Everything about XII is asthetically charming too, from the characters voices to the story itself.

I can't understand why it's not one of the most well regarded games (not only FF) out there, it's magic.

And even as yeah, Vaan is pretty forgetable, he also doesn't make the game any harm either.

Completely agreee.

It gone from frustation on getting mawled by enemies before understanding the gambit system to breezing through the game with the right setup for each enemy. I basically only didn't kill the final superboss (took it to 1/3 the life, but man it was just so slow, battled it for like 2h).

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

Final Fantasy will not, and should not, ever go back to a turn based battle system. It is the anti to current design focus of entire AAA industry. Final Fantasy is a franchise that has always taken pride in the fact that it is not just setting the bar for RPG's, but for the entire industry. That is what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy! The minute Square Enix moves alway from that is when Final Fantasy will truly die. Turn Based system lost their appeal when western developers took control of the industry and for the first time set that standard in regards to genres.  Japanese focus genres (platformers, turnbased, fighters) except for popular ones went dormant. Every gen has its popular genres and this is simulated open world games .. turn based clashes with that

I think that might be even worse a pure Souls like for me. FF15 combat was kind of bad, nowhere near as good as what Nomura would have delivered if he had been allowed to continue working on the project I'm sure. Nomura's FF7R system seems to be much better than FFXV from what I've seen of it (waiting on the Xbox port next year to play it myself). So mixing FFXV combat with Souls-like, which I hate, is just not something I hope is true for FF16. I'll take DMC or Dragon's Dogma like combat any day. 

I agree that they shouldn't go back to turn based on new numbered entries. If they want to do AA, Trials of Mana like remakes for some of the older FF games like 6, 8, and 9, I'd be ok with those staying turn based, but any AAA remakes like FF7 and any new numbered entries like 16 should be action-RPG's imo. 

Man I'll tell you, FFVIIR battle system is very good (much better than XV). You can choose classic if you want an easy experience (all the 3 chars will do regular play, defense and attack, and you choose the special abilities when the ATB loads) or you can have an action battle cycling between the party members and chosing the skills with the atb loaded as well.

On Hard depending on the setup it can be very easy or hard for most battles. Of course some bosses become super hard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:

As far as JRPGs go FF is still setting the bar both graphically/technically and in scope by far.

Try to find any JRPG that doesn't fill a gen behind FF15, and that game was once supposed to release on the PS3.

Overall quality wise, yeah, after XII FF did never cross 90 anymore and other games like Souls and Persona became the boasting subjects of JRPGs instead of FF.

It definitely fell hard from its complete dominance in relevancy within JRPGs since XIII.

XIV has become a big reference for MMORPGs tho.

He's right though FF hasn't set the bar in ages the series has been outclassed you're mistaking mainstream for setting the bar, Persona, Xenoblade, Nier Automata and Astral Chain are 4 series that have set new bars as they've given the genre new elements and approaches to play around with FF hasn't done that since XII. XIV is not a reference point for MMORPGs it does what FFXI did long before it and it required two attempts at it.

About the only thing it's doing that others don't is high fidelity in graphics that how ever doesn't fall into the category of raising the bar for a genre.

Ka-pi96 said:
Xxain said:

Final Fantasy hasn't set the bar for RPGs, let alone the entire industry, for a very long time. So why are they taking pride in something that's not true?

Turn based games never lost their appeal either. You don't like them, fine. But they still appeal to a huge number of people.

Does that mean they stop trying? It is not whether they succeed in creating that impact or not but they go in with attitude that they want too. I enjoy all forms of RPG's, not particularly biased towards any one (My favorite Battle systems are Grandia and Valkryie Profile 2). In regards to Final Fantasy, I have stated multiple time I would like to see a return back Final Fantasy 12's battle system. So much more can be done with it, but It is ridiculous to expect Final Fantasy to return to anything resembling Final Fantasy X and under. It is just not going to happen. You are delirious if you don't think that turn based has not lost its appeal. We would not be discussing it if it were not the case.