By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [RUMOR] Final Fantasy 16 battle to be Action RPG like Dragon Dogma or Devil Maycry 5 ?

Tagged games:

FFXV and FFVIIR have a lot of action battle so it makes sense that they want to improve on that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
vivster said:
I really should've known when I so boldly proclaimed that FFXVI cannot possibly be worse than FFXV. Leave it to modern FF directors to prove me wrong yet again.

Based on what? Nothing has been shown. 

BraLoD said:
Farsala said:

Nah, it is rock bottom for all JRPGs. X and VIII are peak FF. FFX-2, XII, XIV, and even XV were better than FFXIII.

Nah, IX and XII are peak FF.

X is pretty so-so and VIII is the worst.

I got a plat on viii and god it was bad, but I also liked vii even less. I'm glad my first FF was IX and I loved from the very first screen to the end, otherwise I may have not like FF to this day.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

All I want to know is how does Yoshi P find the time to do anything other than FF XIV, XIV churns out new content non stop and has had a massive expansion like 1 year ago (and is already working on the next expansion).

Also if this game is realy being helmed by Yoshi P it's gona be awesome, that dude is a genious, what he did to turn the original FF XIV from one of the worst garbage fires ever into the most successfull, and in my opinion the best, MMO in the market right now is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 06 June 2020

Shadow1980 said:
gergroy said:
Doesn’t surprise me, square seems to have a strong dislike for rpgs these days... if I still cared about any of their games I would be upset, but they have released nothing but garbage for ages. They already lost me as a customer.

"Garbage" seems a bit harsh and could be construed as a bit inflammatory. I understand not liking a game, but, y'know... phrasing (that goes for others making "garbage" comments). If I may ask, what specifically do you not like?

Personally, I haven't much cared for a mainline FF game after FFX. I've never understood the industry aversion to turn-based combat over the past 15 years. FFXIII moved away from it with the paradigm system while not quite moving to action-based. Once you got the hang of it there was a certain groove to it, but I preferred the old ATB system. But FFXV failed to hold my interest. The fully action-based combat just felt like a bunch of haphazard thrashing around, and I didn't like that you couldn't control the other party members (I understand they changed the latter a bit in a later update, but I still haven't finished the game and haven't touched in something like a year and a half).

But I thought FFVIIR's hybrid action/ATB system that allowed you to quickly toggle between party members was a good compromise, and I've been enjoying that game so far. I will always prefer the slower, more methodical menu-based combat of old-school FF, but if Final Fantasy is going to remain action-oriented, I'd prefer they stick with the FFVIIR system. But Square-Enix does always feel a need to reinvent the wheel with every game, so I doubt it. Hopefully the combat in FFXVI is better than in XV, but I'll try the demo first (if there is one) before I actually decide whether to buy it.

Yeah, I’m obviously quite bitter with square.  Final Fantasy was once my most highly regarded franchise... everything they have done since X has been a step in the wrong direction.  They keep trying to make it more action than RPG.  I disliked the recent games for all the same reasons you listed.  Even more than that though, they have been unable to craft a compelling story.  Their characters and stories have essentially been nonsense, and to me that is the most important part of an RPG.  

I never actually bought the remake.  I’m annoyed they are splitting up the game and I’m annoyed they changed the combat so much.  I tried the demo, I wasn’t impressed.  It wasn’t as bad as 15... but it still wasn’t better than the original system in my opinion.  

Around the Network

My brain can’t comprehend a FF game having a battle system like DD.

This mainly because to me DD was more like a 3rd person version of Diablo and to me Diablo games are nothing like FF games (I’m probably just stuck in the past)

Xxain said:
vivster said:
I really should've known when I so boldly proclaimed that FFXVI cannot possibly be worse than FFXV. Leave it to modern FF directors to prove me wrong yet again.

Based on what? Nothing has been shown. 

Based on the thread title. If the next game actually goes for full action combat it has a very good chance to be worse than the second worst FF game ever made.

Just saying, I already predicted that FFXV is gonna be garbage over a year before its release and I was right.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me. It'll probably be well made game, like most FF games are... but know you, Final Fantasy in nothing but name.

Hmm, pie.

Well, another FF to forget for myself. I'd rather stick with DQ, at least they don't constantly tamper with their battle system.

Ka-pi96 said:
BraLoD said:

Nah, IX and XII are peak FF.

X is pretty so-so and VIII is the worst.

Nah, 8, 9 & 10 are peak.

13 is average, but not bad per se, while 12 is the worst.

I hater the 12 when I first played but gave a second chance on the remaster and man it was good, a lot better than X.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

I got a plat on viii and god it was bad, but I also liked vii even less. I'm glad my first FF was IX and I loved from the very first screen to the end, otherwise I may have not like FF to this day.

VII is pretty good, it sure has its problems like the story being all over the place for no good reason, but it's a great game.

IX is the only FF I loved from the very start, all others had to prove themselves (or not) in the go, but IX is a joy from the second you hear the first sound before you even play it.

XII is still my fav, tho.

The espers aquisition and usage (and Zodiark fight), quickning/concurrences, the license board, the gambit system, the judges, the music, the story, Fran, the guild hunts, the amount of content... it's just ridiculously good.

Even as I didn't like it from the get go like IX, and XII not having the best main char by far, XII is still undoubtly the best FF I have ever played.

At first I hated XII, I just liked the idea of no random encounter (makes a lot more sense since monster don't just appear out of nothing) but the gameplay and confusing upgrade system lost me. But I gave a shot on the remaster after seeing some praises for XII and loved it, perhaps because of internet I understood the game better and was able to like it.