By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, are we not gonna talk about this?

Torillian said:
Nautilus said:

Personally speaking, I say this because of two reasons:

1 - It's the truth, and it's something that it's easy to lose sights on, especially when something this outrageous happens.

2 - Because many of those people that says ''Black Lives Matter'' are the same ones that are destroying people belongings and properties or attacking white people that had done nothing other than just... being white and being on the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't look no further than what is happening right now. I don't mean to downplay the situation. Black people deserves better treatment and all. But if we really want to extinguish racism, we need to start treating it as a broader discussion, to discuss racism as a whole and attack its cause, rather than just some of it's many branches. Otherwise you end up like now: People picking sides, because they feel like the other side it's trying to downplay the other, like it's some fucking sport.

I understand you have your reasons, but you should know that you are falling into the hands of reactionaries who are using your straightforwardness against you. It's a game of sorts, and unfortunately they aren't playing fairly. This is why when you say "All Lives Matter" you are going to get pushback because people will assume you are trying to diminish the voice of Black Lives Matter. 

But couldn't you say the same about you? After all, alot of these protesters, which claim to be to be under the banner of Black Lives Matter, are causing all this destruction. Couldn't you say you are also being used?

At the end of the day, the only thing I can do is stand for what I believe in, and hope that is good enough. In truth, that's all most people can do.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Nautilus said:

''Saying crap as all lives matter''? So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others? God, these situation bring the worst on people...

The incopetent cop that killed that guy should be arrested and punished, I don't think there is any doubt about this. But I'm not supporting any protest that destroys a man's livelihood like the ones that ''Black Lives Matter'' are promoting right now. Or at least its members are causing. The irony in all this is that the same movement that is trying to save black lifes, is the same one that is ruining black lives, as many of the stores that have been vandalized are owned by black people. That's gold. Incredibly sad, but gold.

Both sides are at fault, and both sides should be punished. I don't see how much there is to be discussed.

>So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others? 

Here's why saying "all lives matter" is crap.  The reason why Black Lives Matter became a slogan is to say "we matter too." because so often black people get shot, only for nothing to happen to the policeman after that.  As if their lives don't matter.  

If all lives matter really meant every life mattered, they'd be protesting with BLM, not against them.  

You're making an assumption that "Black Lives Matter" means "Only Black Lives Matter", or "Black Lives Matter Most".  When the reality is, they're saying "Black Lives Matter Too", or in other words "Black Lives Matter Just As Much As White Lives".  

>The irony in all this is that the same movement that is trying to save black lifes, is the same one that is ruining black lives, as many of the stores that have been vandalized are owned by black people.

Some amount of the vandalism is by white people.  Some just taking advantage of the chaos. 

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

didn't quite follow this story but seems like it's building up

Do we even know the background of the policeman murderer? I mean is it a racist act or police brutality, or just an accident due to an irresponsible person like many? How did the other policemen at the scene react?

Even if it was a racist act, people really don't know how to protest anymore, what is happening now in the US is social terrorism. Can someone be anti-police brutality and pro-violence at the same time? People have totally lost it.

>Do we even know the background of the policeman murderer? I mean is it a racist act or police brutality, or just an accident due to an irresponsible person like many? How did the other policemen at the scene react?

The man died after a policeman shoved his knee onto a guy's neck for almost 9 minutes.  He wasn't resisting.  All he did was say that he couldn't breathe.  

Meanwhile, several other policemen stood by, looking the other way.

Even if it was a racist act, people really don't know how to protest anymore, what is happening now in the US is social terrorism. Can someone be anti-police brutality and pro-violence at the same time? People have totally lost it.j

The US has a pretty long history of destroying property in rebellion.  

There was the Boston Tea Party.  And we have an immense amount of pride for going to war over the right thing.  Why is this different?  

I'll repeat what I said to MZuzek, since I believe that captures the essence of the discussion and what I want to say to you:

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you. If anything, I agree with most of what you say. Racism exists, and it is mostly directed at people that are "diferent". Or were considered "different" 20 or 30 years ago, by westerns: Black, asian people and so on. And yeah, all these "coincidences" you talk about, they are not coincidences. Presidents are majority white and male because of that( though honestly, I don't have any problem with that and I don't thnink anyone should, simply because any job should be occupied by the most competent person, and not by any other reason. If that person is a black woman so be it. We should look at their skills, and their skills alone. But that's a discussion for another day). Differences in salaries were because of that(even if nowadays I don't think they really exist because of that anymore, in most countries anyways) and yeah, some of the police brutality towards some groups exist because of that. I don't disagree with you.

But I disagree with the method that is being taken here. A bad action dosen't justify another bad action, as you *seem* to have implied ("But the wrong people on the other side, who are also a minority, are murderers. So by comparing both sides here, you're saying a murderer is just as bad as a vanda"), especially given the culprit is seemingly going to pay for it's crimes. I think it was Malcom X that said:

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”

And that should be true for both sides. I'm not taking the protestors side, because what they are doing is wrong.They are ruining people's lives, no matter how justifiable their anger is. At the same time, I'm not taking the other side because what that cop did was wrong, and he should and will be punished for that.

But I also think that, people need to start taking the problem, the root problem, seriously, we will never get rid of it. You said that black people were slaves once. Yes they were. But white people were also turned into slaves before that. Right up until the end of the Roman Empire. What does that say to you? That all of this, all of this hatred for the other group, for the difference, is a cycle. If you don't treat the problem at it's core, that cycle will continue, only taking different forms. We are already seeing it. Cristians that were the "dominant group" are now being bullied. Gays were once accepted in the Ancient Rome, then were persecuted duringthe Middle Ages, and are nmow again accepted as normal. White people are now being attacked, by these same protestors that defend black people right, just by being white and being in the wrong place in the wrong time. If we don't treat this at it's core, what will happen in the next 20, 30 years? Some other group will be bullied upon and then society will rally to support it and may fix it. But then, given the laser focused effort into this one group, 50 or 60 years later another group will be bullied and be made fun of. And so on, and so on. Like you said, this repeats time and time again in history.

That's why I'm against saying " Black Lives Matter" and I'm actually in favor of "All Lives Matter". You may say that I'm being used to make fun of the movement, and to some extend you are right. But by the same definition, you are ALSO being used by these damn motherfuckers pillaging and destroying people properties that use the banner of being in favor of black lives to do those awful things. At the end of the day, the only thing I can do is stand for what I believe in, and hope that is good enough. In truth, that's all most people can do.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

BeardedDragon said:
Nautilus said:

''Saying crap as all lives matter''? So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others?

I stopped reading at that point.

The difference between you and me is that I had the courtesy to give the OP a proper answer, instead of acting like an ignorant. Which ironically, seems to be what you are against.

People who say "All Lives Matter" can go fuck off with their privilege. It's like a spoiled 10-year-old throwing a hissy fit that one kid is being given medical attention for a broken arm at school while they don't get a lollipop and a doctor to look after them.

We don't live in a non-violent world. When confronted by Nazis in the 1930s, minority groups absolutely should have rioted and burned down buildings if that is what it took to shake the system. Hong Kong protesters are right to fight within violent means because it is the only language the government understands. The only reason that cop who murdered someone on camera is in custody is because the powers that be were terrified of violent protest. That's the only reason, otherwise nothing substantive would have been done.

America has had decades of non-violent protest and means to handle this issue and they have done nothing, so now if they want to cry about violence, it's a situation you're complicit in if you sat by silently doing or saying nothing about (or even worse, undercutting people like Colin Kaepernick who were trying to make a point peacefully but were basically blacklisted from their own work for doing so). Peaceful coexistence isn't a gift you get like a bratty 13 year old being gifted a pony for their birthday, it's earned through active stamping out of injustice.

Carl said:
JWeinCom said:
Moved to Politics Discussion.

Can you please explain the reasons for this being moved to Politics Discussion aside from having it in General? I wouldn't say a discussion surrounding racial inequality, police brutality and basic human rights needs to be pushed into a dark corner of the forums. A better move would be to change the title so people know we have a place to discuss what's going on in America right now, with matching support in major cities around the world.

-

On the actual topic itself, everyone out protesting has my complete support.

The people who barge into BLM discussion with "All Lives Matter" rhetoric are ignorant and there's probably a good chance that they're racist.

Because it has nothing to do with Gaming, wheter you agree with it or not.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

People who say "All Lives Matter" can go fuck off with their privilege. It's like a spoiled 10-year-old throwing a hissy fit that one kid is being given medical attention for a broken arm at school while they don't get a lollipop and a doctor to look after them.

We don't live in a non-violent world. When confronted by Nazis in the 1930s, minority groups absolutely should have rioted and burned down buildings if that is what it took to shake the system. Hong Kong protesters are right to fight within violent means because it is the only language the government understands. The only reason that cop who murdered someone on camera is in custody is because the powers that be were terrified of violent protest. That's the only reason, otherwise nothing substantive would have been done.

America has had decades of non-violent protest and means to handle this issue and they have done nothing, so now if they want to cry about violence, it's a situation you're complicit in if you sat by silently doing or saying nothing about (or even worse, undercutting people like Colin Kaepernick who were trying to make a point peacefully but were basically blacklisted from their own work for doing so). Peaceful coexistence isn't a gift you get like a bratty 13 year old being gifted a pony for their birthday, it's earned through active stamping out of injustice.

Sadly riots were also what helped the Nazis getting in power, but i understand the sentiment.

Carl said:
JWeinCom said:
Moved to Politics Discussion.

Can you please explain the reasons for this being moved to Politics Discussion aside from having it in General? I wouldn't say a discussion surrounding racial inequality, police brutality and basic human rights needs to be pushed into a dark corner of the forums. A better move would be to change the title so people know we have a place to discuss what's going on in America right now, with matching support in major cities around the world.

-

mZuzek said:
Carl said:

Yeah, this is why I'm annoyed too. This is human rights, common sense, basic notion of empathy... that stuff, right? The moment you lump that into "politics", the message I get is that you're implying the opposite view is also valid, because politics are a thing of opinion.

I get that the thread title is too vague, I could change that, no problem. But the section change just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't mean in any way to diminish the importance of what is going on.  With that being said, many people come to the forums to escape that sort of thing.  Not necessarily because they don't care, but often because the internet can be... not the most productive place for those conversations.  I know that shortly before I became a mod I filtered out political discussions from my topics, because frankly a lot of the opinions being expressed within were quite aggravating to me, and for me, the best way to deal with that was in an "out of sight out of mind" kind of way.  Apparently OP also felt the desire to avoid certain topics, and did the same thing.

I certainly see the argument that a) this is something that needs to be discussed, and b) the topic is broader than politics.  

In regards to a) if a person wants to avoid discussing this topic, I think that they should be able to.  Of course, you can argue that this kind of avoidance makes the issue worse, or that silence benefits the perpetuation of the status quo, or so on.  And those are valid positions.  But while it is best to discuss these issues, some people might not want to deal with it in this particular forum.  And, if someone really just wants to avoid it altogether, that's their choice, whether it is a good choice or not.

As for b) I actually think that politics is the most appropriate place.  What is the point of the protests in the end?  Is it simply to send the message that racism is bad?  I don't think so.  Ultimately, the reason for the protests is to force policy makers to take action to make change happen.  That's definitely political.  How police are regulated is also undoubtedly a political issue, as is the freedom to protest, freedom of the press, and government reaction to the protests.  There is a very strong rationale for considering this a political topic.  Naturally most political issues are also going to impact people in their general lives (if an issue had no effect on people why would we make policy about it), but I don't think that's enough to say it's not a political topic.  Anyone entering this topic is going to be getting a lot of politics which, if they filtered out politics, is precisely what they wanted to avoid.

The OP (before any changes) specifically mentioned that he had the politics section filtered out... So there's obviously a recognition that this is the kind of thing that he would typically expect to find in the politics section.  As for the suggestion that this move somehow legitimizes a certain point of view, I disagree.  I don't think this issue is ultimately about whether or not the actions taken against George Floyd were excusable or anything like that.  Call me naive, but aside from some people on the fringe, I think pretty much everyone is in agreement here.  The issue is to what extent is this the result of problems inherent in the system, and what changes do we have to make to fix those problems.  That's a political question.  I'd also say in general opinions can be wrong or ill-founded.  Some opinions are shit, so even if I were to imply that this is a matter of opinion, that doesn't mean all opinions are equally valid.

As for Carl's concerns, I don't think the politics section is really a dark corner of the sight.  I think it tends to be about as active as general discussion, and it's not any more difficult to access or less visible, unless a user has chosen to make it so. And even among those people, if they want to discuss this topic, I think they'd know where to look. I don't particularly see the benefit to this being in general discussion.  The only people who would be affected by that are people who filtered out politics, and again, I think this thread is political enough that I think most of those people would rather it stay filtered.

So that's my rationale.

mZuzek said:
Nautilus said:

Because it has nothing to do with Gaming, wheter you agree with it or not.

Gaming and General discussion are two separate sections last time I checked?

JWeinCom said:

So that's my rationale.

Ok. I disagree, but you've justified your decision well enough so I guess we can leave it at that.

I don't know actually. I do see the topic in the hot forum bar though.

Nautilus said:

But I disagree with the method that is being taken here. A bad action dosen't justify another bad action, as you *seem* to have implied ("But the wrong people on the other side, who are also a minority, are murderers. So by comparing both sides here, you're saying a murderer is just as bad as a vanda"), especially given the culprit is seemingly going to pay for it's crimes. I think it was Malcom X that said:

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”

And that should be true for both sides. I'm not taking the protestors side, because what they are doing is wrong.They are ruining people's lives, no matter how justifiable their anger is. At the same time, I'm not taking the other side because what that cop did was wrong, and he should and will be punished for that.

"Tactics based solely on morality can only succeed when you are dealing with people who are moral or a system that is moral." -Malcolm X

This isn't about the morality of violence. It is an inevitability. When people are deprived of justice for generations, there will come a time when they stop politely asking. We have again reached one of those moments. Spending your time attacking those who have boiled over with righteous anger propagates the very system which created these injustices, especially when this violence that you so despise is actively being fueled by the immorality of the police system day in and day out.

sundin13 said:
Nautilus said:

"Tactics based solely on morality can only succeed when you are dealing with people who are moral or a system that is moral." -Malcolm X

This isn't about the morality of violence. It is an inevitability. When people are deprived of justice for generations, there will come a time when they stop politely asking. We have again reached one of those moments. Spending your time attacking those who have boiled over with righteous anger propagates the very system which created these injustices, especially when this violence that you so despise is actively being fueled by the immorality of the police system day in and day out.

Even if it's understandable, it's the same kind of thinking that led to many wars and Dictatorships. Like some user already said before, do you think Nazism and Facism rose to power because they just took the power without the people consent? No. Germany and Italy was so destroyed after WW 1 that the people were literally starving. They were dying of common diseases. Those regimes gave them an "answer" that they liked back at that time, because it got them out of that misery, that allowed them to grab power. By the time they realized the shit they have done, it was too late.

But you think my example may be too extreme. That's fair. So let's give you a more grounded example. What about those stores that these protestors destroyed. Have you though about what will happen to their families? ESPECIALLY after this pandemic destroyed the economy of every single country? Do you care if they starve or don't have money to buy anything for their kids or to buy medicine? And in your reasoning, what if these same people that were attacked by the protesters decides to strike back? By your reasoning, it would be ok and understandable for them to beat them up, be them black or white. All in the name of justice...

My question to you is: Where we will end up, if what you said is regarded as something normal? Where and when this cycle of hate and violence will end?