By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, are we not gonna talk about this?

Nautilus said:

''Saying crap as all lives matter''? So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others? God, these situation bring the worst on people...

The incopetent cop that killed that guy should be arrested and punished, I don't think there is any doubt about this. But I'm not supporting any protest that destroys a man's livelihood like the ones that ''Black Lives Matter'' are promoting right now. Or at least its members are causing. The irony in all this is that the same movement that is trying to save black lifes, is the same one that is ruining black lives, as many of the stores that have been vandalized are owned by black people. That's gold. Incredibly sad, but gold.

Both sides are at fault, and both sides should be punished. I don't see how much there is to be discussed.

>So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others? 

Here's why saying "all lives matter" is crap.  The reason why Black Lives Matter became a slogan is to say "we matter too." because so often black people get shot, only for nothing to happen to the policeman after that.  As if their lives don't matter.  

If all lives matter really meant every life mattered, they'd be protesting with BLM, not against them.  

You're making an assumption that "Black Lives Matter" means "Only Black Lives Matter", or "Black Lives Matter Most".  When the reality is, they're saying "Black Lives Matter Too", or in other words "Black Lives Matter Just As Much As White Lives".  

>The irony in all this is that the same movement that is trying to save black lifes, is the same one that is ruining black lives, as many of the stores that have been vandalized are owned by black people.

Some amount of the vandalism is by white people.  Some just taking advantage of the chaos. 

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

didn't quite follow this story but seems like it's building up

Do we even know the background of the policeman murderer? I mean is it a racist act or police brutality, or just an accident due to an irresponsible person like many? How did the other policemen at the scene react?

Even if it was a racist act, people really don't know how to protest anymore, what is happening now in the US is social terrorism. Can someone be anti-police brutality and pro-violence at the same time? People have totally lost it.

>Do we even know the background of the policeman murderer? I mean is it a racist act or police brutality, or just an accident due to an irresponsible person like many? How did the other policemen at the scene react?

The man died after a policeman shoved his knee onto a guy's neck for almost 9 minutes.  He wasn't resisting.  All he did was say that he couldn't breathe.  

Meanwhile, several other policemen stood by, looking the other way.

Even if it was a racist act, people really don't know how to protest anymore, what is happening now in the US is social terrorism. Can someone be anti-police brutality and pro-violence at the same time? People have totally lost it.j

The US has a pretty long history of destroying property in rebellion.  

There was the Boston Tea Party.  And we have an immense amount of pride for going to war over the right thing.  Why is this different?  

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Actually the world have never been better (well except for the virus outbreak killing a little more people than what would have without it). Every decade or so we improve living conditions, life expectancy, etc.

It sure felt a lot better and safer and nicer some good 10 years ago...

mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:
Actually the world have never been better (well except for the virus outbreak killing a little more people than what would have without it). Every decade or so we improve living conditions, life expectancy, etc.

Perhaps for you, but just look for Index worldwide and you'll see average income improved, life expectancy and several other metrics. But if you don't like 10 years use 50 or any other number. Matter of fact, saying things were never this bad is completely wrong.

Locally and some things got worse? Yes. Like in Brazil 50 years ago violence was almost inexistent, 3 years ago there were 65000 killed yearly on violent crime, last year the number was like 40000. But if you look for other diseases and the average life expectancy it did improve. Economy because of recent crysis have been at same level or worse than 10 years ago, but again less people are starving. Call me optmistic if you want but the reason why we can focus on "smaller" problems is because we have solved most of the bigger problems in most places.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
mZuzek said:

Perhaps for you, but just look for Index worldwide and you'll see average income improved, life expectancy and several other metrics. But if you don't like 10 years use 50 or any other number. Matter of fact, saying things were never this bad is completely wrong.

I never said that, though?

I said they're as bad as they've been for a long time, probably my lifetime. That being 25 years. Of course it's not the case for everyone, no global crisis or peaceful period is gonna affect everyone the same way. But from my point of view, things sure have always looked more peaceful than they do now - though nothing's looked peaceful at all in the last 5 years or so.

mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

I said they're as bad as they've been for a long time, probably my lifetime. That being 25 years. Of course it's not the case for everyone, no global crisis or peaceful period is gonna affect everyone the same way. But from my point of view, things sure have always looked more peaceful than they do now - though nothing's looked peaceful at all in the last 5 years or so.

You are quite young and probably only conscient of several topics for like 5 years, so everything looks worse now. And matter of fact most people will think things only get worse, that is because the more time they live the more bad stuff they see compared to their innocent and thrilling youth days. Why do you think most old folks are very nostalgic people?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
mZuzek said:

You are quite young and probably only conscient of several topics for like 5 years, so everything looks worse now. And matter of fact most people will think things only get worse, that is because the more time they live the more bad stuff they see compared to their innocent and thrilling youth days. Why do you think most old folks are very nostalgic people?

Nah dude. The economy was better. We had an incompetent president who at least looked a half-decent person. Other countries had at least half-decent people in power too, especially the US in this comparison. Where I live, our economy was FAR better, and there were less crimes and murders going around. In fact I hadn't been mugged yet back then, despite walking on the streets constantly, whereas nowadays I barely leave the house on foot and have been. Stuff was better 10 years ago, I wasn't oblivious to everything in the world just because I was a teenager.

it goes beyond racism. There is an issue within the police force , alot of inadequate cops, who not only have been responsible for deaths of blacks, but alot of whites. Deaths that didn't involve racism, but just sheer stupidity and lack of any human compassion that they are dealing with fellow humans, who may have metal conditions. Yet only blacks stand up for what's wrong and make it a big deal, the white americans who happen to get hold of footage of white men being killed by injsutice, tend to move on pretty quick. Either way, the policing system needs an overhaul, the officers that go through training need better psych evaluations and and overhaul on restraint and , topics about race, the value of human life and so on

Spike0503 said:
Isn't police brutality as a whole a larger issue? Specially with the whole "blue wall" thing where the people in the police protect each other from accountability. I remember reading a story years ago where a policewoman in the US knocked on a door and a kid with a wiimote opened it; she thought the wiimote was a gun therefore she shot him and killed him. He was white. I believe she didn't go to jail and kept her job as far as I'm aware of.

I don't mean to disregard the racism issue, it's just my observations as someone who isn't from the US. Everyone in a community suffers if the gov. people with the guns aren't held accountable for their actions.

The concept of the "Thin Blue Line" is rooted in racism itself.  You cannot separate the two issues in the US.

Police departments in the southern states were developed as a form of 'slave patrol'. Those in the north were stemmed from earlier private services that were more class focused (protect the rich who could afford them). When slavery ended, they all took on a mix of class and political focused systems.  Laws were written by the rich for the rich and the police were their means of enforcing those laws.

In the 50's, the Thin Blue Line was first used to represent police officers as a way to separate laws and order from chaos and anarchy. It established a mentality that ensured protection of themselves against themselves for their own unlawful activity. It's been rationalized thus: A bad cop is worth protecting more than a good citizen because the bad cop still protects the good citizen. It's again a class issue.  Us vs them. Rich vs poor. Privileged vs underprivileged. Power vs the powerless. Bully vs wimp. With all of that often boiling down to white vs black. 

The Thin Blue Line flag is often displayed by counter protestors at any pro-black movement or rally regardless of the relevance to police further showing the race factor is just as much a part of the thin blue line concept as the police brotherhood factor is.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

Nah dude. The economy was better. We had an incompetent president who at least looked a half-decent person. Other countries had at least half-decent people in power too, especially the US in this comparison. Where I live, our economy was FAR better, and there were less crimes and murders going around. In fact I hadn't been mugged yet back then, despite walking on the streets constantly, whereas nowadays I barely leave the house on foot and have been. Stuff was better 10 years ago, I wasn't oblivious to everything in the world just because I was a teenager.

You really need to look at each country separately. I do agree things have gotten worse in the US and UK. While things are improving in many countries around the world. New Zealand has become a bright spot with the banning of semi automatic weapons after a mass shooting and their handling of COVID-19 with their strong leader. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

When the peaceful protests weren't being heard, this is what happens. 
Fuck racism, and fuck the police. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem