By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, are we not gonna talk about this?

kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

Saying "all lives matter" as a response to "black lives matter" is not done in good faith. It's done to diminish the concerns of black people who face disproportionate police brutality. Well meaning centrists who take the movement's title statement at face value is why it has been so successful. 

Honestly, it's strategically pretty brilliant while disgusting in its intent because the centrist response writes itself. "Well why don't all lives matter?"

sorry i care more about the 100s dieing each second in africa this very second whom life really shit on

And there's another one. Pointing to other problems as a way of diminishing the current concerns. If someone came to you and said they had cancer would you tell them "Shut the fuck up global warming is going to kill us all in 100 years"? It's definitely a concern, and something that we should take seriously, but isn't really pertinent to the person who came to you with their concerns. 

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Nautilus said:

''Saying crap as all lives matter''? So you are saying some lives are more valuable than others? God, these situation bring the worst on people...

The incopetent cop that killed that guy should be arrested and punished, I don't think there is any doubt about this. But I'm not supporting any protest that destroys a man's livelihood like the ones that ''Black Lives Matter'' are promoting right now. Or at least its members are causing. The irony in all this is that the same movement that is trying to save black lifes, is the same one that is ruining black lives, as many of the stores that have been vandalized are owned by black people. That's gold. Incredibly sad, but gold.

Both sides are at fault, and both sides should be punished. I don't see how much there is to be discussed.

Saying "all lives matter" as a response to "black lives matter" is not done in good faith. It's done to diminish the concerns of black people who face disproportionate police brutality. Well meaning centrists who take the movement's title statement at face value is why it has been so successful. 

Honestly, it's strategically pretty brilliant while disgusting in its intent because the centrist response writes itself. "Well why don't all lives matter?"

Personally speaking, I say this because of two reasons:

1 - It's the truth, and it's something that it's easy to lose sights on, especially when something this outrageous happens.

2 - Because many of those people that says ''Black Lives Matter'' are the same ones that are destroying people belongings and properties or attacking white people that had done nothing other than just... being white and being on the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't look no further than what is happening right now. I don't mean to downplay the situation. Black people deserves better treatment and all. But if we really want to extinguish racism, we need to start treating it as a broader discussion, to discuss racism as a whole and attack its cause, rather than just some of it's many branches. Otherwise you end up like now: People picking sides, because they feel like the other side it's trying to downplay the other, like it's some fucking sport.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Torillian said:
kirby007 said:

sorry i care more about the 100s dieing each second in africa this very second whom life really shit on

And there's another one. Pointing to other problems as a way of diminishing the current concerns. If someone came to you and said they had cancer would you tell them "Shut the fuck up global warming is going to kill us all in 100 years"? It's definitely a concern, and something that we should take seriously, but isn't really pertinent to the person who came to you with their concerns. 

no but that person has the power to tell(protest/annoy) me and those others cant

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Nautilus said:
mZuzek said:

You lost it right there.

You lost at the moment you mocked that all lives don't matter the same way.

The difference between you and me is that I had the courtesy to give you a proper answer.

The moment you say "all lives matter" you're either being incredibly tactless or just lowkey racist. I think you're in the former group.

This movement sparks again in response to a white officer murdering a black man in cold blood for apparently no reason whatsoever. Would he have done it if it was a white man? Obviously not, because that's how racism works. In fact, it's very likely the police wouldn't have been contacted at all if it was a white man. This is all hypothetical, of course, but you know what isn't? History. I believe you understand history enough to know there's been kind of a trend for the past few thousand years or so, of white people abusing black people and killing them because of a thing called "race superiority". Somewhere in between all that, there was also a little thing called slavery.

The modern day society has quietened racism down quite a bit, but obviously it is still present in our lives. And for every case you find of a white person being abused by a black person, you'll find 10 times as many of it happening the other way around, if not more. Because that's the established norm of how our society operates. The USA has had a grand total of 1 black president (and on another topic, 0 females). What do you think caused that, coincidence? Come on.

I never "mocked" that all lives don't matter the same way. In fact, I never even said black lives matter. So, about that... yeah. Black lives matter. They don't matter more than other lives, no, you're right about that. But they matter. And the reason why we need to say that, is because there is clearly a large portion of the world's population who doesn't think that way. I've seen, in just this past day, dozens or even hundreds of abusive comments and actions directed at black people, for the sole reason being that they were born that way. Of course, that's how this whole movement started to begin with.

You say "both sides are wrong"... because some people in favor of the movement are destroying establishments and whatnot? One could make a point about peaceful protests never getting anything done in the long-term, because that's true, but at the end of the day the people doing this are wrong. They are a minority and they are wrong. But the wrong people on the other side, who are also a minority, are murderers. So by comparing both sides here, you're saying a murderer is just as bad as a vandal.

Of course, you got it wrong the moment you implied I value black lives above white, maybe not knowing I'm a white person? And really, I've had a great upbringing, with a nice and caring family who continues to pay for my life, and throughout my childhood all interactions I've had with adults were always telling me about how talented or special I was, always praising me for nothing. I studied in paid schools all my childhood, and in those 15 years or so, I remember seeing 1 black student. One. Out of like, a couple thousand or more. I don't have many friends now as a grown-up, but the ones I do I'm pretty close to. One of them is black. And he lives in a shithole, has a shit family filled with hate, he works his ass off just to find a job paying minimum wage. You get it already?

We as a society are taught that is how things are. That's just how they've always been. Because of the upbringing I've had, I'd have every reason in the world to look at someone like that and think I'm superior. I don't, because I've got at least some sense of compassion and understanding for others, but for a lot of people who've had a similar upbringing, it didn't work that way. If I go back and look at all the other privileged people I've studied alongside as kids, I'm gonna find not one, not two, but several racist people. White rich racists. Who live in a paradise mansion and travel abroad twice a year. But I've never met a single rich black person, not even close to it. Again... if you think that's coincidence, I'm just sorry for you.

kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

Obviously this is a problem too, and it's not exactly unrelated since it's also due to racism, but in the current situation it's an entirely different beast and one that cannot be solved easily. In order to stop a police officer from randomly killing a black person just because, all you need to do is ensure you're not employing racist assholes, and generally try to stop racism in society. Personally, I don't think we're ever gonna fully stop it, it just feels that way right now. But we can lessen its impact.

In order to stop the shitty conditions of people's lives in Africa, well... the first thing that needs to happen for that is probably for capitalism to be destroyed. Africa as a continent has been exploited for a long time, and in the current status quo of the world, it must be exploited for the first-world countries to continue giving their citizens better conditions. Preying on the weak is the very foundation of capitalism.

So, this is something that really can't be solved by the average people. I don't think any level of protests or riots in the world is gonna make governments want to come up with a better system - especially one that doesn't benefit the people in power as much.

Around the Network

Torillian speaking wise words Here.

didn't quite follow this story but seems like it's building up

Do we even know the background of the policeman murderer? I mean is it a racist act or police brutality, or just an accident due to an irresponsible person like many? How did the other policemen at the scene react?

Even if it was a racist act, people really don't know how to protest anymore, what is happening now in the US is social terrorism. Can someone be anti-police brutality and pro-violence at the same time? People have totally lost it.

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 01 June 2020

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Actually the world have never been better (well except for the virus outbreak killing a little more people than what would have without it). Every decade or so we improve living conditions, life expectancy, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Captain_Yuri said:
kirby007 said:

the mayans were off by 8 years

God damn lag

Try to game 4000 years difference and without broadband connection.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kirby007 said:
Torillian said:

no but that person has the power to tell(protest/annoy) me and those others cant

In which case I would tell you that someone working on a different problem shouldn't be viewed as a detriment to your own work on another problem. If I spend my free time working towards greener energy solutions I shouldn't view the person working towards better policing standards as a detriment, but just someone that has different priorities based on their life experience. We are both working towards making the world a better place, we simply have different angles on that same goal.