By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2020 (May 18 - May 24)

Tagged games:

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

According to Famitsu, Minecraft and DQ11 do seem to be the highest in physical copies, at least as of the most recent data I could find which was from 3 months ago.

How about the others? I have a hard time thinking of them, when so much of the top 30 is just Nintendo games.

I think third is a Taiko Drum game

Edit: Didn't see noshten's post up there, but he confirmed my guess with it.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 30 May 2020

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Farsala said:

At this point I expect all same day release 3rd party games to do better than the PS4 version due to the install base difference. The games in the past get a pass, but they still launched on a system with a growing install base.

As for late ports... I feel like a game like DQXI S should outsell a game like Arms by a mile due to quality difference regardless, not to mention for the fact that it sold much later in the Switch's life. SE put a lot of effort into the Switch version, but the sales simply aren't DQ levels.

It's much easier for 3rd party games to sell on PS4 when there zero million seller from 1st party to compete with. 

Animal Crossing new horizons alone is bigger than Monster Hunter World+Final Fantasy 7R +Dragon Quest 11 combined on PS4. 

Top 5 games in Japan this Gen

1. Animal Crossing 

2. Smash Bros Ultimate

3. Pokemon Sword and Shield

4. Splatoon 2

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

If you take a look at the last fiscal year, Nintendo generated more profits than Sony gaming division, Capcom, and Square Enix combined. 

I kinda agree with EA on this, Nintendo 1st party titles on Switch are too monstrous and most of those still retain a full MSRP. 

I think at this point people need to accept the reality of current Nintendo Switch software situation. 

Their domination on software sales make it hard for third party games to compete in the same environment. 

If that's is true, aways 3rds party games sell better in PS4. It's not true. Indie games sell better, in majority of cases. 

theDX said:
Farsala said:

At this point I expect all same day release 3rd party games to do better than the PS4 version due to the install base difference. The games in the past get a pass, but they still launched on a system with a growing install base.

Using this logic all games should sell almost the same on Xbox as they do on PlayStation in the US. I wonder why they don't?

Farsala said:

As for late ports... I feel like a game like DQXI S should outsell a game like Arms by a mile due to quality difference regardless, not to mention for the fact that it sold much later in the Switch's life. SE put a lot of effort into the Switch version, but the sales simply aren't DQ levels.

Arms is a brand new exclusive game, Dragon Quest XI S is a two years+ full priced late port and the third release overall of DQXI.

1. Don't they within reason? I am not going to check every game. Obviously the lead console should have more sales though so if PS4 has the slight advantage then the games should sell more. Don't they? However the Switch multiplat games in Japan don't tend to outsell the PS4 games...

2. Yep Arms is a brand new untrusted ip that reviewed mediocrely and sold to a 1m+ install base. DQXI S is a highly reviewed game from a famous franchise known for selling 2m+ with exclusive content sold to a 9m+ install base. Weird how that works!

noshten said:

3rd Party Top 20 Switch

1. Minecraft (Microsoft Game Studios) - 1.393.109
  2. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 520.693
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 475.437
  4. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 439.131
  5. Yo-kai Watch 4* (Level 5) - 358.356
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 312.574
  7. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate* (Capcom) - 309.596
  8. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237
  9. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 225.614
  10. Super Bomberman R3* (Konami) - 215.218
  11. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) - 213.453
  12. Octopath Traveller (Square Enix) - 193.780
  13. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  14. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 149.562
  15. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 146.363
  16. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  17. FIFA 18 (EA) - 122.998
  18. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 117.954
  19. Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco) - 112.104
  20. Pro Baseball Famista Evolution (Bandai Namco) - 110.954

*All Versions

TOTAL: 5.729.347

1. Bandai Namco - 1.731.952
  2. Microsoft - 1.393.109
  3. Square Enix - 1.009.710
  4. Konami - 440.832
  5. Level 5 - 358.356
  6. Sega - 312.574
  7. Capcom - 309.596
  8. Ubisoft - 213.453
  9. Marvelous - 146.363
  10. EA - 122.998
  • Biggest losers from the transition from the 3DS to the Switch are Capcom & Level 5. Both had multi-million selling franchise on the 3DS with Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch
  • Bandai,Microsoft & Square Enix are doing the best by a big margin. Bandai & Square have moved the majority of AA games to the Switch
  • Minecraft, Fishing Spirits, Dragon Quest XIS and Taiko are the 3rd party evergreens on the system.
  • Sega & Ubisoft are both only there because of a Nintendo cross over
  • Konami... with one launch title and a baseball game has done better than most 

Awesome work for providing this data! Im guessing only a Monster Hunter game that can beat Minecraft. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
noshten said:

3rd Party Top 20 Switch

1. Minecraft (Microsoft Game Studios) - 1.393.109
  2. Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 520.693
  3. Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 475.437
  4. Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco) - 439.131
  5. Yo-kai Watch 4* (Level 5) - 358.356
  6. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (Sega) - 312.574
  7. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate* (Capcom) - 309.596
  8. Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix) - 295.237
  9. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (Konami) - 225.614
  10. Super Bomberman R3* (Konami) - 215.218
  11. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft) - 213.453
  12. Octopath Traveller (Square Enix) - 193.780
  13. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 (Bandai Namco) - 181.090
  14. Disney Tsum Tsum Festival (Bandai Namco) - 149.562
  15. Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (Marvelous) - 146.363
  16. Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission (Bandai Namco) - 145.720
  17. FIFA 18 (EA) - 122.998
  18. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Bandai Namco) - 117.954
  19. Doraemon: Story of Seasons (Bandai Namco) - 112.104
  20. Pro Baseball Famista Evolution (Bandai Namco) - 110.954

*All Versions

TOTAL: 5.729.347

1. Bandai Namco - 1.731.952
  2. Microsoft - 1.393.109
  3. Square Enix - 1.009.710
  4. Konami - 440.832
  5. Level 5 - 358.356
  6. Sega - 312.574
  7. Capcom - 309.596
  8. Ubisoft - 213.453
  9. Marvelous - 146.363
  10. EA - 122.998
  • Biggest losers from the transition from the 3DS to the Switch are Capcom & Level 5. Both had multi-million selling franchise on the 3DS with Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch
  • Bandai,Microsoft & Square Enix are doing the best by a big margin. Bandai & Square have moved the majority of AA games to the Switch
  • Minecraft, Fishing Spirits, Dragon Quest XIS and Taiko are the 3rd party evergreens on the system.
  • Sega & Ubisoft are both only there because of a Nintendo cross over
  • Konami... with one launch title and a baseball game has done better than most 

Awesome work for providing this data! Im guessing only a Monster Hunter game that can beat Minecraft. 

Dragon Quest XII. And another multimedia venture for Level 5, maybe.

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
Jranation said:

At the speed Sqeenix is developing new Dragon Quest titles these days, that game will come out in 2026 earliest, too late for the Switch in any way of form.

Agente42 said:
Farsala said:

I think all third party devs have a good understanding that Nintendo games will sell just as much as Nintendo does. For example every time a Mario Kart or an Animal Crossing comes out, they and everyone else knows they will sell millions.

So why doesn't a third party dev release Mario Kart or Animal Crossing? The answer should be obvious.

Even if they copied it and used their own characters, their IP simply wouldn't sell. One proof of that is Playstation All Stars Battle Royale or Crash Racing.

It's not that. The 3rds treat Nintendo consumers as second class citizens. Aways. When the threat of good support and good games tend to sell well. Dragon Quest IX is the best selling dragon quest in one single sku. Capcom has 3 MH, three years in sequence, sells more than 4 Million. Just Dance is the best selling Ubisoft single SKU game in the Wii. Microsoft sells gangbusters with Minecraft. Bravely Default tops 2M. Nintendo aways reports have more and more thirds millions of sellers. Dragon Quest XI has a spike of sales more than 1.5 millions after the Nintendo Switch release, worldwide. Level 5 explode in sales in every Nintendo handheld. 

In turn, aside from a few noteworthy franchises, nintendo fans treat third parties as second class themselves.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Agente42 said:

At the speed Sqeenix is developing new Dragon Quest titles these days, that game will come out in 2026 earliest, too late for the Switch in any way of form.

Not really DQXI only took longer because the were two initial versions both ground up for separate platforms and even that was five years from the release on DQX, DQXI released in 2017 in Japan which makes 2022 the more likely earliest release year.

TheBraveGallade said:
Agente42 said:

It's not that. The 3rds treat Nintendo consumers as second class citizens. Aways. When the threat of good support and good games tend to sell well. Dragon Quest IX is the best selling dragon quest in one single sku. Capcom has 3 MH, three years in sequence, sells more than 4 Million. Just Dance is the best selling Ubisoft single SKU game in the Wii. Microsoft sells gangbusters with Minecraft. Bravely Default tops 2M. Nintendo aways reports have more and more thirds millions of sellers. Dragon Quest XI has a spike of sales more than 1.5 millions after the Nintendo Switch release, worldwide. Level 5 explode in sales in every Nintendo handheld. 

In turn, aside from a few noteworthy franchises, nintendo fans treat third parties as second class themselves.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Farsala said:

It's much easier for 3rd party games to sell on PS4 when there zero million seller from 1st party to compete with. 

Animal Crossing new horizons alone is bigger than Monster Hunter World+Final Fantasy 7R +Dragon Quest 11 combined on PS4. 

1. Animal Crossing 

2. Smash Bros Ultimate

4. Splatoon 2

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

If you take a look at the last fiscal year, Nintendo generated more profits than Sony gaming division, Capcom, and Square Enix combined. 

I kinda agree with EA on this, Nintendo 1st party titles on Switch are too monstrous and most of those still retain a full MSRP. 

I think at this point people need to accept the reality of current Nintendo Switch software situation. 

Their domination on software sales make it hard for third party games to compete in the same environment. 

You don't need to sell on par with Mario Kart or Smash Bros to be successful though. A game like Octopath Traveler, which sold over 2 million, did well enough that Square opened up a new department to make Switch games.

Other third party titles like Skyrim, Crash Bandicoot, 

TheBraveGallade said:
Agente42 said:

Not true; Nintendo fans will buy third party games, they're just not inclined to buy undesirable software. The games that fail on Switch wouldn't have sold well on any system under the same circumstances.

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Farsala said:

1. Animal Crossing 

2. Smash Bros Ultimate

4. Splatoon 2

5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

You don't need to sell on par with Mario Kart or Smash Bros to be successful though. A game like Octopath Traveler, which sold over 2 million, did well enough that Square opened up a new department to make Switch games.

Other third party titles like Skyrim, Crash Bandicoot, Mortal Kombat 11, Cuphead, etc managed to chart well on Switch.

Third parties sell well on Switch when they release desirable products.